Thread: Thinking of repeating the High School Certificate, help!

HSC
    N/A

Exclamation Thinking of repeating the High School Certificate, help!

Ok, i need some actual facts.

My ATAR for last year (2016 HSC) was 98 and I've put off enrolment until I can get a clearer answer.

I wanted to do medicine but due to some unfortunate circumstances like getting depressed during my exams (medicated and checked professionally), I don't think I did as well as I could of. I've heard of kids repeating year 12 and acing it the second time round alongside with the UMAT and getting into UNSW undergrad medicine or USYD post-grad medicine.

But my problem is my school won't take me back since it was a private school (parents don't want to fork out another 25 grand) so I've resorted in looking at various TAFE's around Sydney to repeat my HSC at.

What are the limitations and chances of me getting 99+ in my second run at the HSC and continuing into undergraduate medicine?

Do you guys have any factual information that can deter me from setting my foot on the ground about this?

Thanks in advanced.

Executive Member
    HSC

Re: Thinking of repeating the High School Certificate, help!

98 is a really good ATAR! Yes, you can repeat your HSC up to 5 years I think, and no, repeating won't ruin your chances, but is it really worth it?

Do you have to do medicine at UNSW?There are other uni's that offer it: Bond, WSU etc. Any other interests besides medicine?

Your chances getting 99+ will be the same as a normal high school student, you won't be disadvantaged or advantaged.

HSC 2017: MX2 -- EX1 -- ECO -- BUS --
    Goal: Finance/Law/Maths/

Executive Member
    HSC

Perhaps this thread could enlighten you:

http://medstudentsonline.com.au/foru...licants.32824/
    (see pitfall #3)
    CHEM + PHYS TRIAL QUESTIONS SORTED BY DOT POINT
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...t-answers.html

EXAM RESPONSES + FREE NOTES (99.90)
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...m-phys%5D.html

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    98 is a really good ATAR! Yes, you can repeat your HSC up to 5 years I think, and no, repeating won't ruin your chances, but is it really worth it?

Do you have to do medicine at UNSW?There are other uni's that offer it: Bond, WSU etc. Any other interests besides medicine?

Your chances getting 99+ will be the same as a normal high school student, you won't be disadvantaged or advantaged.
    As si2136 said you could've gone to another university but what was your UMAT? WSU your atar reaches the threshold so it is 33% umat 66% interview. It's maybe too late to try apply for medicine now, though.

Next year the HSC might throw curveballs or be much harder and could drag you down or the cohort in the state might be much better. For example, an atar in 2016 would be lower with the same marks in other years (according to HSC ninja) so it could be risky.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths (97) // Studies of Religion 1 (48) //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

HSC

A very silly decision.

HSC
    N/A

I think repeating the HSC won't do much, in fact it will probably have a much worse effect because you'll probably be really frustrated with the repetitive content and such. And once you get to uni, I doubt people would care for your ATAR much

HSC

Don't repeat hsc
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC

dafaq ur atar is more than enough, why don't u just take a gap year to study for umat instead.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Another thing is that they take the most recent marks, so your ATAR may end up being lower!

You'd be better of retaking/focusing on getting a really good UMAT.
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD

HSC
    N/A

Hey my ATAR was a low 98 and I got into UNSW med with EAS. If u apply for EAS, you would probably get bonus points for your situation. This means your ATAR isn't even the issue here. So do not repeat year 12! (but idk how many bonus points you would get, you would most likely need 2 not 1)

How did you go in the UMAT? Because the REAL question is whether or not you will get about 90%ile+. Your UMAT/ATAR combination will decide whether or not you get an interview. Then you need to ace the interview.
    So right now, you definitely have a chance. You can do it

HSC

Have you considered getting into Medical Science and transferring instead...?
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    isnt med competitive?

HSC

Not a good idea IMO. From a purely business sense, the risk-reward margin is simply too high.
    2016 HSC

Advanced English (89) | Business Studies (92) | Legal Studies (94) | History Extension (47) | Ancient History (92) | Modern History (92)

ATAR: 97.55

Bachelor of Communication (Social and Political Sciences), Bachelor of Laws @ UTS

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    It is better to repeat year 12 than to do Med Science. Med Science degrees are a way unis make money, by exploiting people's dreams. It is v. risky to transfer, if you don't get in you are stuck with a degree which WAY too many people have compared to the jobs available.

And anyways, to transfer, wouldn't he/she need UMAT anyways? As I said before, this all comes down to UMAT. So taking a gap year or doing one year of a health science course which he/she would still be happy to pursue a career in (then instead of calculations using ATAR it is ATAR/GPA combo), then doing UMAT and applying for EAS, and reapplying for Med is the safest bet

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

What places allow you to repeat the HSC?

I actually enquired and look around last year. THere was a TAFE that offered that option, where they offer the student (in most cases I think mature age students) to come back and complete the Yr 11/12 equivalent to be able to get the HSC certificate.
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Scorchers BBL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by donkily View Post
    isnt med competitive?
    everything worth it is competitive

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_dough View Post
    It is better to repeat year 12 than to do Med Science. Med Science degrees are a way unis make money, by exploiting people's dreams. It is v. risky to transfer, if you don't get in you are stuck with a degree which WAY too many people have compared to the jobs available.

And anyways, to transfer, wouldn't he/she need UMAT anyways? As I said before, this all comes down to UMAT. So taking a gap year or doing one year of a health science course which he/she would still be happy to pursue a career in (then instead of calculations using ATAR it is ATAR/GPA combo), then doing UMAT and applying for EAS, and reapplying for Med is the safest bet
    are you serious

med sci is at least semi-relevant - and at least at unsw, if they haven't changed it, they have a special system where they reserve a few transfers into medicine for the best med sci students
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

HSC

For UNSW don't you need an ATAR >96 and > 50% UMAT and then they select the highest ranked applicants for local, internationall, rural and indiginous (there is a quota). So if you performed or are going to do well in UMAT you should be able to get an interview? https://med.unsw.edu.au/local-applicants
    1st Year BAppFinBActStud @ MQ

HSC

Terrible idea. How can you be so sure that you will do well again this year? You also have to take into consideration that redoing the HSC again may put you back into depression and im no Doctor, but that does not sound like a great thing to do to your health and well-being. IMO, get into a decent university as an undergrad and attempt the GAMSAT. Undergrad medicine is really hard to get into and from what i have heard, postgrad medicine from a statistical standpoint has a higher success rate than undergrad medicine.
    Class of 2016

HSC Subjects: Physics, Economics, Advanced English, Extension 1 Mathematics, Extension 2 Mathematics

ATAR Goal: 88
    ATAR: 96.05
    2017 Uni: B. Psychology at USYD

Thread Information