Study in Australia (Need help in choosing Unis - International Student) (1 Viewer)

popobear

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I was recently offered to study in Australia, which will be commencing in July, and I am from Malaysia (International Student).

The offers are as follows :-

1) University of New South Wales (UNSW) – Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Economics ( 4 Years – Double Degree)

2) University of Melbourne – Bachelor of Commerce ( 3 Years )

3) Australia National University (ANU) – Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Economics ( 4 years – Double Degree)

- still considering whether should I apply to University of Queensland or not, for its Bachelor of Commerce.

My questions are :

1) Which of the unis listed above provides the best education, best campus life and city life ? I have researched through their rankings in Australia/World, however I am not convinced since mostly the rankings are influenced by research, etc. I have also searched through other forums (BoS), throughout whirlpool. Perhaps someone who are from those unis can give me an insight ?

2) As I plan to go back to Malaysia after my graduation, which of the unis listed above highly regarded by financial industry / consulting industry?

3) Should I do honours? Doing honours in my Double Degree will add additional years to my studies, totalling it to 5 years, which i'm afraid that being too long in the university is not preferable as in those one year, i should be getting industry experience.

4) Say, if don't do my honours, can i still do my masters in the UK or USA ? I plan to either do my masters in Economics/Finance or MBA in the ivies.

5) If I can't do my masters, is getting a chartered accountant is equivalent to masters/mba ? Is it advisable for someone to take both CA and MBA ?

My background : just turned 21 years old few days ago, currently interning in one of the banks in Malaysia.

Appreciate your kind response.

Thank you.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to do CA then I'd recommend that you check your degree major (accounting) is accredited by CA.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Melbourne/Sydney are nicer places to live then Canberra (has too many politicians ;).

However cost of living wise, Canberra would probably be the cheapest, followed by Melbourne, and Sydney would be the most expensive.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
Do you know what you want to major in??? Because between ANU and UNSW it can make a difference especially in regards to a commerce major. (For reference, Accounting would be the same as they both follow the same standards, In Finance UNSW has more breadth but ANU tends to cover more in depth per course read: UNSW > ANU) However, ANU has probably the best Economics degree in the country (Especially from a government perspective) UNSW is still has a very good degree however (behind ANU and Melb).

As far as living goes, ANU will be significantly cheaper (Rent at unilodge is something like $275 a week and includes everything BUT food and laundry) and with about 50% of students living on campus, the culture is quite good if you really put yourself out there. However, unsw is in a much more vibrant city and has a greater variety of stuff to do as well as having significantly more students (22,000 total (including post grad) at ANU vs 52,582 total at UNSW) there are more societies and clubs to get involved in.

As far as the rest goes, a CA is only needed if you want to be a professional accountant while an MBA is more of a rounded degree.

chickencoop

HSC
UNSW: You better be prepared to spend a lot of moola (living in Sydney is appalling expensive). However you can probably expect the greatest work and social experiences with NSW being the hub of Australia (fite me if u say otherwise).

However, your 3 options for universities are all very up there, so really it might come down to what you want to major in and the best research/facilities/faculties each university has to offer to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)