How will uni be like? (1 Viewer)

Mathew587

HSC
Heya :),
I'm in year 12 and I'm really worried about how uni will be like. How similar is it to high school? Are the lots of bullies n' stuff over there i.e. dickheads :/ I've been banter-bullied preety much like throughout highschool (cos I have exotropia but not as bad as the ones you'll see on images) and primary but nothing too serious ...i guess Been depressed and stuff and really don't want uni to be another 4/5 years of shit :(
Is there specific "popular kids" groups or is everyone just pretty chill with each other. Oh ye what are like the main friend groups that you know of and how are the peeps likely to be in like med, comm. finance. math, sci, engo. I've heard that law kids are kinda stuck up... atleast at Usyd (no offense meant) so yeah thats why I was wondering.

Therefore to conclude (hehe), how is uni and its populace in relation to high school and how will a kid straighouttahighschool feel especially if they've been bullied, depressed, had anxiety pree much everything :)
thanks peeps ^^)

turntaker

HSC
I feel you bro, I hated high school for the most part but loving uni nowdays.

As queenroot said , Uni is completely different though

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone's uni experience will probably be different, but I feel that people are a lot more chill in uni.

There will still be cliques and all but you'll have plenty of opportunities to meet great people within and beyond the classroom through clubs/societies, parties and so forth especially in 1st year.

donkily

HSC
N/A
I feel you bro, I hated high school for the most part but loving uni nowdays.

As queenroot said , Uni is completely different though
Just out of curiosity why did u hate high school

donkily

HSC
N/A
also do you have to work with people you absolutely hate/cant get along with (group tasks)

donkily

HSC
N/A
This. When you are working throughout your career, there will be people you don't like, you can't complain, that is what uni is preparing you for.
How do you actually get along with people like that? OMG

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
How do you actually get along with people like that? OMG
Well idk about others but most of my experiences have been positive. I have been lucky enough with my groups. That being said, I'm a very very firm leader when it comes to group activities. I do not tolerate people's shit, because it is my marks on the line.

But u can talk to my bf, his entire group made a chat and didn't add him to it since they were all friends already. They proceeded to do the project behind his back and then gave him zero when it came to peer reviewing for his input. Despite him trying to reach out to them and trying to do the project. When he bought it up with the lecturer, he pretty much said to get over it and things like that happen. Assignment was worth 40%.

donkily

HSC
N/A
Well idk about others but most of my experiences have been positive. I have been lucky enough with my groups. That being said, I'm a very very firm leader when it comes to group activities. I do not tolerate people's shit, because it is my marks on the line.

But u can talk to my bf, his entire group made a chat and didn't add him to it since they were all friends already. They proceeded to do the project behind his back and then gave him zero when it came to peer reviewing for his input. Despite him trying to reach out to them and trying to do the project. When he bought it up with the lecturer, he pretty much said to get over it and things like that happen. Assignment was worth 40%.
So if they did the exact same shit they did to ur bf, do you scare tf out of them or what?

btw do people change attitudes in uni, or do they still stay the same as they did in hs

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
also do you have to work with people you absolutely hate/cant get along with (group tasks)
Yes you will. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I found in a university environment especially from 2nd years onwards, you wanted to do well together. In first year, people were still trying to figure other people out.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

That is seriously harsh.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
So if they did the exact same shit they did to ur bf, do you scare tf out of them or what?

btw do people change attitudes in uni, or do they still stay the same as they did in hs
the "bf" is me in the scenario there was really nothing i could do and what i did do there was no action taken. I emailed the lecturer he said get over it, i emailed the disability advisor (they never replied), i messaged the head of school (never replied), i went to the school office and they said to contact the lecturer....

people generally are a bit more open. if you go to unsw most people tend to stick to their high school groups like north syd boys will stay together, penrith will stay together etc but there are hundreds of other students who also don't know anyone/only one from their school etc so just start a convo with them in the lecture/tutorial and people are generally more open

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Fuck no, I wouldn't even let it get to that point. I'd be the one to make the group chat and ask for people's input and give everyone individual deadlines. (And make mine the latest hehe), always have made it this way, always have achieved great group marks. But given I was in that situation I'd give them all zeroes for their peer reviews.

And idk, do people really change? Maybe, maybe not.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Everyone's uni experience will probably be different, but I feel that people are a lot more chill in uni.

There will still be cliques and all but you'll have plenty of opportunities to meet great people within and beyond the classroom through clubs/societies, parties and so forth especially in 1st year.
I agree with the social cliques. Coming from a weaker school or lower ranked school, I tended to find the kids at the top tier schools tended to hang around each other. (There was a certain snobbery or elitism ) From 2nd year onwards, you were all in it together, people didn't ask the question 'what school did you come from ? " that much.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
If your talking about postgraduate university studies, generally speaking, everyone wants to get to know everyone. (Just from my experience)

I feel like when you get to undergraduate 1st year, it was a case of 'bettering your standards/bettering your network'. High school, socioeconomic status, how well you appeared mattered.(if your attractive everyone wants to get to know you :lol: ).

donkily

HSC
N/A
the "bf" is me in the scenario there was really nothing i could do and what i did do there was no action taken. I emailed the lecturer he said get over it, i emailed the disability advisor (they never replied), i messaged the head of school (never replied), i went to the school office and they said to contact the lecturer....

people generally are a bit more open. if you go to unsw most people tend to stick to their high school groups like north syd boys will stay together, penrith will stay together etc but there are hundreds of other students who also don't know anyone/only one from their school etc so just start a convo with them in the lecture/tutorial and people are generally more open
Damm...sorry to hear how u feel

By god, if I do end up with miscallaneous people I hope they dont sabotage me

donkily

HSC
N/A
Fuck no, I wouldn't even let it get to that point. I'd be the one to make the group chat and ask for people's input and give everyone individual deadlines. (And make mine the latest hehe), always have made it this way, always have achieved great group marks. But given I was in that situation I'd give them all zeroes for their peer reviews.

And idk, do people really change? Maybe, maybe not.
so you literally have to "force" them via aggravation of some sort to get them to work?

Nah I mean personality wise, like in HS I know some guys in particular can be arseholes but do they still continue that attitude in uni and adulthood?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)