Maximising Your Employability Workshop (Saturday 11th March) (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Maximising your employability workshop

Hi all,

Whether you are applying for a casual/part-time role or a full time cadetship/internship/graduate position, it is essential that you know the techniques that give you the best chance of getting hired by the employer you want. Why? Because in this day and age simply having a degree does NOT guarantee employability.

Even from my own experiences, there are many aspects of the recruitment process that I wish I knew much earlier in my degree. I hope to pass on my knowledge and experiences (as well as those of many others from our moderating team) to help you put yourself in the best position in the current job market.

This is why I, together with Parramatta Library, will be hosting a FREE interactive workshop aimed at maximising your employability in an increasingly competitive employment market (with a key focus on the initial application process where most applicants get rejected).

The workshop will focus on:
WHAT types of skills, attributes and credentials you need to maximise your chances of getting the job you want
HOW to convincingly communicate your skills and credentials onto a resume or an application question to help you stand out

Tips and examples provided will be very specific compared to the often broader advice provided in other careers seminars about what makes a high quality applicant. For example, rather than the advice being broadly ‘tailor your application to the job’, there will be information on specific ways you can tailor your application according to the role and the organisation with worked examples.

You will also hear from the perspective of former graduate applicants who have been through the competitive recruitment process many times over, as well as those who have had experience on the other side conducting interviews on graduate candidates themselves.

Similar workshops have been held in the past two years with great feedback, so I am confident you will gain something useful in this workshop.

Time and location

Macquarie Room
Parramatta Library
1-3 Fitzwilliam Street, Parramatta

Saturday 11th of March 2017
10.00am - 3.00pm

Parramatta library is less than a 5 minute walk from Parramatta station. There will be short breaks in between the start and finish time, including a lunch break.

Target audience
Any university or high school student looking for employment, whether it be casual, part-time or full-time.

Cost
Free

What to bring
Just pen and paper. Handouts will be provided. You are also welcome to provide anything (whether that be resumes, cover letters, answers to application questions) for feedback on the day.

How to register
Forward me a PM here and notify me if you are bringing any others with you. Please note that you will be required to confirm your attendance 2 days prior to the workshop day.

I look forward to seeing you there! :D

Cheers,

Trebla

Attachments

Last edited:

chickencoop

HSC
Hey Trebla!

I am certainly interested, however i get the feeling like the workshop will be centered more towards people who have graduated (with a repertoire of skillsets/experience) or about to graduate with some degree. Will the workshop be beneficial for someone like me who is a first year student with 'basically' 0 work experience or skills?

Thanks for the workshop nonetheless!

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Hey Trebla!

I am certainly interested, however i get the feeling like the workshop will be centered more towards people who have graduated (with a repertoire of skillsets/experience) or about to graduate with some degree. Will the workshop be beneficial for someone like me who is a first year student with 'basically' 0 work experience or skills?

I think it would be even more relevant for a first year uni student. You need to be starting your professional development and career building from day one at university. If you have left it to your final year/graduation, you have left it too late.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Trebla!

It's good to learn how to make a resume now/cover letter now, so that you have the skills for applying for jobs currently, and also can work out what you need to do to further enhance your resume.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
As a first year university student, co-op scholar & commercial bank officer i highly recommend attendance to anyone in highschool, university or otherwise. The methods taught in Trebla's workshop are drawn from a deep well of experience and bring you tangible & proven results. Attendance will provide you with a strong foundation to get ahead of the pack and secure the best employment that you possibly can.

Having attended this workshop last year i can say that it's a supporting reason as to why i secured a permanent position in the countries largest commercial bank with no prior experience or degree.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also add that if you're in first year uni, the key thing is you can think about what you need to do over the years ahead, and work out where your strengths are vs where you need to brush up. It may not all be immediately be obvious yet, but planning ahead can help significantly especially come internship application time when you realise you really needed to more of X rather than Y.

(ps. apologies also I won't be able to make the session as am flying to India for work)

chickencoop

HSC
Ok, in that case i will definitely clear my schedule and come along for the session!

It makes me a feel a whole lot better especially after Katsumi's comment about her securing a position in the big commercial banks having no prior experience (Theres hope for me!!!!!!!! <3 <3)

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Just to clarify, this workshop is applicable to ANY high school or university student. It is also applicable to any job you apply for, whether that be a graduate level position or just a casual job.

The workshop largely focuses on WHAT you need to have (in terms of skills and credentials) to become a strong candidate and HOW you should communicate this best in an application. It does not matter what stage of your degree you are at, what you need to know to become a strong applicant is the same.

Mathew587

HSC
Hey trebla, will you be running this workshop again next year? I would love to come but I've got half yearlies going on now :(

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hey trebla, will you be running this workshop again next year? I would love to come but I've got half yearlies going on now :(
Cannot say for sure but will aim to do a variation of it next year :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Bump! It's on this Saturday!

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
To those who messaged me earlier, please PM me to confirm your attendance so I have an idea of final numbers. Thanks!

HSC
Hey Trebla, can you please make a 2nd day of this event? Some of my friends including me cannot attend Saturday. If you can't, approximately what time next year are you doing it?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Thanks to everyone that came! Hope you found the workshop useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)