Time spent studying to get a distinction or high distinction average? (1 Viewer)

shumphrey

HSC
I have heard uni is pretty rough in terms of difficulty, so to those of you who have a distinction or high distinction average-->how much do you study and how much time do you spend working and having fun?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I honestly reckon if you are after a HD in any uni subject you need to devote an hour minimum per night.

7 hours per unit per week. Other people will argue against that but thats my thinking anyway.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I also reckon working is OK but I can understand how difficult it is to balance work and study . I wouldn't recommend working more than 25 hours a week, if you are doing a full time work load. I'm aware that people have costs and bills to pay but it does burn you out after a while.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I have heard uni is pretty rough in terms of difficulty, so to those of you who have a distinction or high distinction average-->how much do you study and how much time do you spend working and having fun?
Firstly, Uni is not rough. Yes subject matter is substantially more difficult than thr HSC (for anything you do) so it takes a while to adjust but pressure wise, not the same as HSC. Having said that, I have never pulled an all nighter for the HSC while I lost count the number of times I pulled all nighters in uni.

Never really timed myself but i saved a lot of time by basically never going to lectures that I found didn't really add thay much value to me because I get during lectures. Only attended tutorials, used that time to personally study. Basically a full time job study around 30-40 hours a week consistently should be more than enough. However in my current medical degree, I'm definitely studying substantially more (more content to cover, difficulty same) to get the top marks. I work around 10-15 hours a week (uni tutor + RA) to pay my rent and minusing the 20 hours i spend on youtube watching pointless shit, Probably have 10 hours weekly of just going out with friends outside stusy environment.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
Depends on your degree tbh as some subjects are more difficult and require more time. I do a science degree, mainly biology and IT units. It is not difficult for me to get D/HD in terms of content. The only thing restricting me is that I'm lazy af and never stick to my study schedules lol. It's not really about time spent though. It's more about studying efficiently. Some subjects are easy to get a D or HD even if you study 1-2 days before the exam. I got a HD in a subject that I didn't attend the lectures for, I only went to tutes, and I didn't even catch up on the lectures until a few days before the exam when I started studying for it.

Anyway my point is, don't focus on hours spent. Focus on studying properly. Don't study unnecessary things. Usually it's easy to pick out what content in the lectures is important and what other stuff is just there for the sake of it. There are concepts which are clearly more likely to be tested on, so go into more detail on those. It is also usually easy to predict what kind of questions they will ask about certain concepts, so make up your own practice questions.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I think if your studying a mathematics course/unit, as much as I hate to say it, it does depend more on how much time you devote to the subject.

It's a process that you work on over time that enables a student to develop structured responses. When I mention time, I include things like private tutoring, watching educational resources from online sources, and my own study time. I do focus more on time spent and (yes scarily enough) I keep tabs of how much time I spend on each subject that I do.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
depends really, essay subjects research main ideas from readings and ensure your logic flows correctly in essay. Science/maths is either rote learning or memorisation of key steps*

*though this only works for normal math courses, if your doing higher good luck

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
depends really, essay subjects research main ideas from readings and ensure your logic flows correctly in essay. Science/maths is either rote learning or memorisation of key steps*

*though this only works for normal math courses, if your doing higher good luck
This an excellent way to make your degree absolutely worthless.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
This an excellent way to make your degree absolutely worthless.
By definition that is a degree

just do subject until you've accumulated enough to get that shinny paper at the end

you really think you're going to apply each an every thing you've learnt at uni in the real world

stopcrying

HSC
How hard/How much effort is it to maintain a distinction average In Finance/Statistics in particular (and im not sure if this matters but at USYD) relative to say getting a 97.00 ATAR?
Will someone who tries fairly hard (let's say 7/10 where 0 = no study at all and 10 = no life outside of study) for a 97.00 ATAR translate well into a Distinction (75-84) WAM?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
An HSC student at its peak would study 4-5 hours on weekdays and 6-8 hours on weekends (well from personal experience atleast). How is that compared to uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)