Actuarial + Engineering (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Is there any uni that lets you combine these degrees? If not is there like engineering and commerce with major in actuary still available? Thanks!

sida1049

HSC
I doubt that combination exists around here, and neither UNSW nor Macquarie offers actuarial studies in their B. Commerce degrees, so I doubt the latter option works either.

I don't know much about the career of an actuary, but I think the main thing is to pass the series of exams the relevant association offers. Those exams involve maths (probability especially), statistics, finance and a bit of economics. So if you want to be able to have the option of doing engineering or an actuarial career later, it might be in your interest to major in mathematical statistics (B. Science) or a finance major (from B. Commerce) with a ton of mathematical statistics in addition to your engineering degree. USYD offers the financial maths and statistics major, but that's really just mathematical statistics plus a couple of financial maths units (so contrary to what some people may think, there is actually zero commerce-y finance/economics involved).

I personally think you're better off choosing between the two, and focusing on that.

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I doubt that combination exists around here, and neither UNSW nor Macquarie offers actuarial studies in their B. Commerce degrees, so I doubt the latter option works either.

I don't know much about the career of an actuary, but I think the main thing is to pass the series of exams the relevant association offers. Those exams involve maths (probability especially), statistics, finance and a bit of economics. So if you want to be able to have the option of doing engineering or an actuarial career later, it might be in your interest to major in mathematical statistics (B. Science) or a finance major (from B. Commerce) with a ton of mathematical statistics in addition to your engineering degree. USYD offers the financial maths and statistics major, but that's really just mathematical statistics plus a couple of financial maths units (so contrary to what some people may think, there is actually zero commerce-y finance/economics involved).

I personally think you're better off choosing between the two, and focusing on that.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was just wondering because UNSW never used to offer an actuarial degree but you could combine engineering with commerce major in actuarial. To be honest just wanted to combine them since they both look fun.

For a combination of actuarial + adv sci (maths) would you be able to pick 1 major from actuarial then 2 from adv sci or is it restricted to 1 from both?

D94

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was just wondering because UNSW never used to offer an actuarial degree but you could combine engineering with commerce major in actuarial. To be honest just wanted to combine them since they both look fun.

For a combination of actuarial + adv sci (maths) would you be able to pick 1 major from actuarial then 2 from adv sci or is it restricted to 1 from both?
The B Com major in Actuarial Studies was accredited by the Institute of Actuaries of Australia. It was an Actuarial Studies degree.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
The B Com major in Actuarial Studies was accredited by the Institute of Actuaries of Australia. It was an Actuarial Studies degree.
Does any university still use the B com major in actuarial studies or have they mostly transitioned to the solo actuarial degree?

sida1049

HSC
Thanks, how many majors are you allowed to take in uni?
Generally, as much as you can fit.

It kind of depends on which uni you go to, since they have different restrictions and requirements. I just did a quick computation and it looks like you might *just* be able to fit a maths and another science major combined with actuarial studies from Macquarie (it's a rough estimate based only on the credit points numbers, and I didn't bother to read every single restriction, but it looks like it might be able to be done). I haven't done the same for UNSW, but based on how they structure their advanced maths degree, I highly doubt that you would be able to find an additional science major into the combined degree (also, you have to do an honours year in maths if you do advanced maths at UNSW).

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Generally, as much as you can fit.

It kind of depends on which uni you go to, since they have different restrictions and requirements. I just did a quick computation and it looks like you might *just* be able to fit a maths and another science major combined with actuarial studies from Macquarie (it's a rough estimate based only on the credit points numbers, and I didn't bother to read every single restriction, but it looks like it might be able to be done). I haven't done the same for UNSW, but based on how they structure their advanced maths degree, it's highly doubt that you would be able to find an additional science major into the combined degree (also, you have to do an honours year in maths if you do advanced maths at UNSW).
Thanks for the help.

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Is there any uni that lets you combine these degrees? If not is there like engineering and commerce with major in actuary still available? Thanks!
Yes the only uni that offers that is ANU.

There are 3 engineering degrees you can do with actuarial studies. Software/normal eng/normal eng with r n d (this is like the adv stream). All have honours. The atars range from 95-99. Note it takes 5 years so if you want to pursue your professional qualifications it will take a little bit longer.

Here's a link, you can build your own degree. https://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/degree-builder/area-of-interest#

Note if you pick the engo rnd degree then the atar you need is 99, and anu does not offer academic bonus points for courses with cutoffs over 97 and eas is 98. http://www.anu.edu.au/study/apply/bonus-points

Last edited:

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know anything about the interstate uni's

Last edited:

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok macquarie offers 4 actuarial degrees as of next year:

1. Straight actuarial degree. This is 3 years and there is some flexibility but not a lot in the degree structure because in order to get your part 1 exemptions you need to complete your core technical or ct subjects. There are 8. Note mq also makes you do a people and a planet unit. Here is a link to the recommended program. http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338083/mod_resource/content/2/2017_ACST.pdf

2. Co-op actuarial degree. This one is new and starts next year. This is 4 years and I don't have a program structure I can provide you with.

3. Actuarial with applied finance. This one is 4 years and there is no flexibility apart from taking additional units etc like over summer break. As you can see as well with the double degree the workload in the later years is quite a lot. This one is good because if you don't meet the requirements for your acst (actuarial abbreviation @ mq) then you always have something to go into. Also mq has a strong finance department and there's some funky stuff I'm looking forward to like economtrics. Also a good option if you don't wanna do maths or stats with it. http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338315/mod_resource/content/1/2017_BAppFin_ACST.pdf

The big bonus to doing a double degree with acst is that you are able to get your part 2 expemptions plus another degree for only 1 additional year of study. This is especially important because the IAA (Institute of Actuaries Australia) do not offer part 2 coursers to study with them. However this is changing as a new syllabus is being rolled out next year or the year after as there is going to be a international actuarial syllabus.

3. acst/math http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338480/mod_resource/content/1/2017_ACST_MATH.pdf More flexibility in the later math units. There is only an adv stream for 1st year as it is for the acst students really as after year 1 few people look to do adv math expect the adv sci maths students (which is a single degree only @ mq)

4. acst/stat http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338532/mod_resource/content/1/2017_ACST_STAT.pdf More fliexiblity in the later years. The staff for the stat department are pretty damn good

For 3/4 the actuarial degree is actuarial studies and science. However these are the only two options offered and unfortunaly, mq does not offer adv math or adv stat like UNSW. So even though you are doing the same degree the actual title will be slightly different but that is pretty insignificant if you meet the prof and other requirements for future work.

Sorry about the rant. Hope this helps

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Ok macquarie offers 4 actuarial degrees as of next year:

1. Straight actuarial degree. This is 3 years and there is some flexibility but not a lot in the degree structure because in order to get your part 1 exemptions you need to complete your core technical or ct subjects. There are 8. Note mq also makes you do a people and a planet unit. Here is a link to the recommended program. http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338083/mod_resource/content/2/2017_ACST.pdf

2. Co-op actuarial degree. This one is new and starts next year. This is 4 years and I don't have a program structure I can provide you with.

3. Actuarial with applied finance. This one is 4 years and there is no flexibility apart from taking additional units etc like over summer break. As you can see as well with the double degree the workload in the later years is quite a lot. This one is good because if you don't meet the requirements for your acst (actuarial abbreviation @ mq) then you always have something to go into. Also mq has a strong finance department and there's some funky stuff I'm looking forward to like economtrics. Also a good option if you don't wanna do maths or stats with it. http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338315/mod_resource/content/1/2017_BAppFin_ACST.pdf

The big bonus to doing a double degree with acst is that you are able to get your part 2 expemptions plus another degree for only 1 additional year of study. This is especially important because the IAA (Institute of Actuaries Australia) do not offer part 2 coursers to study with them. However this is changing as a new syllabus is being rolled out next year or the year after as there is going to be a international actuarial syllabus.

3. acst/math http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338480/mod_resource/content/1/2017_ACST_MATH.pdf More flexibility in the later math units. There is only an adv stream for 1st year as it is for the acst students really as after year 1 few people look to do adv math expect the adv sci maths students (which is a single degree only @ mq)

4. acst/stat http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/pluginfile.php/4338532/mod_resource/content/1/2017_ACST_STAT.pdf More fliexiblity in the later years. The staff for the stat department are pretty damn good

For 3/4 the actuarial degree is actuarial studies and science. However these are the only two options offered and unfortunaly, mq does not offer adv math or adv stat like UNSW. So even though you are doing the same degree the actual title will be slightly different but that is pretty insignificant if you meet the prof and other requirements for future work.

Sorry about the rant. Hope this helps
Thanks for the detailed reply

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
ag and btw why did you think the atar was lower for mq? the atars for all the acst coursers are pretty much the same. I think the highest is law/actuarial @ unsw 99 ish and lowest is anu which is 95. Mind you when syd offers it next year or the year after i reckon it will be crazy high

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
ag and btw why did you think the atar was lower for mq? the atars for all the acst coursers are pretty much the same. I think the highest is law/actuarial @ unsw 99 ish and lowest is anu which is 95. Mind you when syd offers it next year or the year after i reckon it will be crazy high
will sydney uni start to implement actuarial studies?

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes they will in the future but as to when im not 100% sure. it will be soon tho so within next 3 years maybe. Grad supply gonna increase lol. Mind you I don't neccessarily think they'll do a good job but people will want to go there cause it's usyd. It will give more attention to the profession as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)