• 1 Post By Queenroot

Thread: is english compulsory in uni??

HSC
    N/A

is english compulsory in uni??

which degrees is it compulsory for?

HSC

Re: is english compulsory in uni??

It's not compulsory for most maths and science degrees I'd guess (thank god)
    FootballRobotic likes this.
    2016 HSC (Accelerated)
    // 2 Unit Maths // Studies of Religion 1 //

2017 HSC
    // Biology // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced //

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

If u mean as a prerequisite then most degrees

HSC
    Uni Grad

English as a subject is not compulsory in uni-unless of course you are doing an English major in an arts degree than that's a different story.
    FootballRobotic likes this.

HSC
    N/A

thanks!!! and fyi i dont hate english, i was just curious lol

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by suhasj123 View Post
    Yes in most of uni English is compulsory so you have to learn it and it is not difficult.
    No it's not... not for domestic students who've sat the HSC or equivalent.
    HSC Search Engine:
    http://neilau.me

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

English isn't compulsory but lots of degrees have essay writing and report writing elements.

If you end up at Macquarie University, then everyone has to do a "people unit" which typically involves a fair amount of essay writing.
    Non scholæ sed vitæ discimus

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Voting starts soon don't forget to vote in the the postal plebiscite!
    + Local elections are coming!
    Check your AEC enrollment address today : http://www.aec.gov.au/enrol/
    Turning 18 before November the 7th? You are eligible to vote!

HSC

Sadly no, been sorely missing my favourite subject for almost a year now
    pikachu975 likes this.
    Baulkham Hills '16

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

ATAR: 99.95

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

English is not compulsory for most courses, but it is a prerequisite to studying in Australia, and I guess if your English language skills were that precarious the university would raise a show cause flag as to why you should be enrolled in the first place. This would be on the basis that you have to accept the fact that coursework in Australia is delivered in the language defacto official (English). By all means they are entitled to do that, however given that universities in Australia are geared towards raising revenue that's a fairly long bow to pull if you're already in a commonwealth supported place. As to international students its a little more stringent and they have a duty of care to ensure that the student enrolled can actually understand the coursework.

If you were going to go on and do an education degree and wanted to work in an English department, or in the humanities and social sciences faculty altogether it would be a prerequisite. In fact it has become a prerequisite test for all teachers coming out of university now to pass a basic English, Maths and Science literacy test. Some of it is quite stringent if you've been out of the high school system for quite some time. God knows as a English/History major at an undergraduate level, I was beginning to become quite hazy about how to do complex long division on paper, but it shows how little I actually use a pen and paper to do anything these days anymore with technology.

Even so if you do a science based degree you will still have to report on your findings which requires an inherent English component so if you're not good at basic literacy, I suggest you get good before you consider going any further with your studies. Most universities these days will offer summer intensive coursework geared towards basic science, maths and English literacy which are free. You will have to ask your student well being office about where to find these if you think you need intensive help.

As an aside and general tip... If you care about your coursework you should consider your summer and breaks not for piss ups at the local dorm room frat house, but for doing intensive work, brushing up on skills your unfamiliar with or doing summer intensive school to get ahead in your coursework and graduate early. If you do just 4 summer intensives courses that count towards your degree program in your whole degree that's a semester ahead of schedule and one less 16 week period of study you'll have to do in your life.
    Last edited by Roumelio; 21 Aug 2017 at 2:28 AM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Roumelio View Post
    English is not compulsory for most courses, but it is a prerequisite to studying in Australia, and I guess if your English language skills were that precarious the university would raise a show cause flag as to why you should be enrolled in the first place. This would be on the basis that you have to accept the fact that coursework in Australia is delivered in the language defacto official (English). By all means they are entitled to do that, however given that universities in Australia are geared towards raising revenue that's a fairly long bow to pull if you're already in a commonwealth supported place. As to international students its a little more stringent and they have a duty of care to ensure that the student enrolled can actually understand the coursework.

If you were going to go on and do an education degree and wanted to work in an English department, or in the humanities and social sciences faculty altogether it would be a prerequisite. In fact it has become a prerequisite test for all teachers coming out of university now to pass a basic English, Maths and Science literacy test. Some of it is quite stringent if you've been out of the high school system for quite some time. God knows as a English/History major at an undergraduate level, I was beginning to become quite hazy about how to do complex long division on paper, but it shows how little I actually use a pen and paper to do anything these days anymore with technology.

Even so if you do a science based degree you will still have to report on your findings which requires an inherent English component so if you're not good at basic literacy, I suggest you get good before you consider going any further with your studies. Most universities these days will offer summer intensive coursework geared towards basic science, maths and English literacy which are free. You will have to ask your student well being office about where to find these if you think you need intensive help.

As an aside and general tip... If you care about your coursework you should consider your summer and breaks not for piss ups at the local dorm room frat house, but for doing intensive work, brushing up on skills your unfamiliar with or doing summer intensive school to get ahead in your coursework and graduate early. If you do just 4 summer intensives courses that count towards your degree program in your whole degree that's a semester ahead of schedule and one less 16 week period of study you'll have to do in your life.
    Oh man with some of the people I see it's not stringent enough

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

We all know those 2 or 3 exchange students in our class that possibly shouldn't be there.

HSC
    N/A

Had to point this out lmao

So I did a subject a few years ago and we had to publicly answer questions in an essay format, with proper referencing etc. So everyone could see each other's work. Well, an international student does a very obvious copy pasta, that is jumbled and makes no sense, without any in-text referencing and then at the end he lists google translate as a reference and a yahoo answers post in chinese that answered the same question. LMAO.

Cadet
    HSC
    Uni Grad

I'd give you reputation if I could

Thread Information