Question About Which Path To Take (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
Alright, I should start by saying that my goal is to do combined laws at USYD.

I just received confirmation that my application for Macquarie's GLEP (Global Leadership Entry Program) has been successful and I have secured myself a position at Macquarie for combined laws in 2018. Despite this, I have also applied for USYD's E12 program for Commerce, with the hope of transferring into combined law/commerce (is this possible?). I guess my problem now is whether it's better to do commerce for a year (is the minimum a year, or can I transfer earlier than that?) and transfer into USYD law internally, or transfer after doing law at Macquarie for a year (external transfer).

E12 lowers the ATAR requirement to 85 and I'm pretty sure this is achievable for me, but I worry what if something unfortunate happens, etc... Additionally, what if I don't get E12.

Also, I don't think I can have it both ways, considering if I put GLEP as my first option I don't get the E12 and vice versa. Anyone care to weigh in? Is any of my information misguided?

Thanks.

Last edited:

HoldingOn

HSC
Alright, I should start by saying that my goal is to do combined laws at USYD.

I just received confirmation that my application for Macquarie's GLEP (Global Leadership Entry Program) has been successful and I have secured myself a position at Macquarie for combined laws in 2018. Despite this, I have also applied for USYD's E12 program for Commerce, with the hope of transferring into combined law/commerce (is this possible?). I guess my problem now is whether it's better to do commerce for a year (is the minimum a year, or can I transfer earlier than that?) and transfer into USYD law internally, or transfer after doing law at Macquarie for a year (external transfer).

E12 lowers the ATAR requirement to 85 and I'm pretty sure this is achievable for me, but I worry what if something unfortunate happens, etc... Additionally, what if I don't get E12.

Also, I don't think I can have it both ways, considering if I put GLEP as my first option I don't get the E12 and vice versa. Anyone care to weigh in? Is any of my information misguided?

Thanks.
What sort of ATAR are you looking at?

sida1049

HSC
You need 48 credit points before transferring internally at USYD, I think. I've heard that you only need a WAM of around 77-78 to be "competitive" in internally transferring into USYD combined law, which is pretty achievable if you keep with your work. External transfers are not as clear cut and nice as internal transfers, so if your end goal is to end up at USYD combined law, I'd recommend internally transferring.

But it's really up to you, though.

Orwell

HSC
You need 48 credit points before transferring internally at USYD, I think. I've heard that you only need a WAM of around 77-78 to be "competitive" in internally transferring into USYD combined law, which is pretty achievable if you keep with your work. External transfers are not as clear cut and nice as internal transfers, so if your end goal is to end up at USYD combined law, I'd recommend internally transferring.

But it's really up to you, though.
Hi, thanks for replying.

What do you mean by clear cut and nice? Is it more difficult? Also, what are credit points and how long would it take me to accumulate that many? Am I squandering my time by not doing law initially or do I not miss out on anything?

sida1049

HSC
Hi, thanks for replying.

What do you mean by clear cut and nice? Is it more difficult? Also, what are credit points and how long would it take me to accumulate that many? Am I squandering my time by not doing law initially or do I not miss out on anything?
What I mean is that there is more bureaucracy involved in external transfers, because of the mis-match between universities, such as units not recognised from one to the other, the "ambiguity" of a mark from one uni to another, and so forth. There are generally more variables involved in external transfers, so internal transfers are generally less difficult and (typically) more likely. In a lot of cases, people often take a course at their less preferred uni with the intent to transfer into another uni, but may end up settling for the degree at their less preferred uni. (That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you need to really work out what your end goal is.)

At USYD and UNSW (I think), a typical course counts for 6 "credit points", and usually 24 credit points (4 courses most of the time) are taken by full-time students in a semester. So when I say 48 credit points, I mean that you need to do a year of full-time studying before internally transferring at USYD. [Edit: keep in mind that Macquarie uses a slightly different system, where a course of the equivalent length is worth 3 "credit points", but the idea is pretty much the same.]

Honestly, you're not missing out anything if your end game is to study law, but only end up studying commerce during your first year. In fact, this is how it goes for many students. Since law students usually study combined degrees, often they'd get their other degree out of the way first, before focusing on law. In the end the structure of your degree is completely up to you (since you choose exactly what combination of units you are studying during any semester), but one full year of commerce isn't a problem at all.

So yeah, if you definitely are planning to do law at USYD, I would highly recommend internally transferring rather than externally to maximise your likelihood. But if you are really eager to start studying law in your first year of uni (which there isn't any advantage to doing), or if you don't mind completing a law degree in Macquarie, then accepting your current offer wouldn't be disadvantageous (relative to what you're trying to achieve).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Orwell

HSC
I just got an email stating I was denied for E12, so I guess I have no option but to take up Macquarie's offer. An external transfer is still possible first year though, right?

EDIT: Or should I put down a USYD course with an ATAR I can achieve, go there and then transfer internally?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I just got an email stating I was denied for E12, so I guess I have no option but to take up Macquarie's offer. An external transfer is still possible first year though, right?

EDIT: Or should I put down a USYD course with an ATAR I can achieve, go there and then transfer internally?
I think you'd find it easier to transfer with Macquarie's law degree, and it would mean that you would be definitely doing law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)