Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Uni vs. High School

HSC

Re: Uni vs. High School

so if you're from a low ranking school, you're fucked in uni
    HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies
    Atar goal: 90+
    HSC goal: Band 6 all subjects boiii

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew587 View Post
    Indeed, the elitism is real if you attend unis like USYD or UNSW which are saturated with Private/Selective students as you may find yourself a bit isolated, but if you bring along most your friends you can form your own clique XD
    Baulkham Hills '16

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

ATAR: 99.95

HSC

Honestly, i'm still to do my HSC and thus haven't gone to uni but i think you would be better off not assuming that. Life is what you make of it and that includes socializing and making friends. No one said it was going to be easy. Maybe you truly will face adversity when trying to 'crack into' these selective cliques. But, if you're confident, charismatic, and determined, it won't take long for people to start liking you in any social situation. Just gotta take initiative.

If i met a person, regardless of if they're from a selective/private school, and they were a cool person; id be cool with them (add them on facebook, etc etc)
    But yeah... that's just my two cents, from a selective school student (lol).
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

I really don't think school matters while making friends tbh unless you are one of those people who think going to a selective school makes them superior over others because in the end its all about who you vibe with and are most comfortable chilling with. From what I have heard from my mates, nobody really cares what school you go to in uni as its a whole new playing field. I am personally more excited to go to uni as I think it will be much easier for me to be social and find the right people to be friends with. I miss high school, it was a great time but I am ready and really excited to move on and experience uni.
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Ur not fucked but it is harder esp in first year cos everybody keeps asking what school ur from and then when you tell them they have this condescending "what? Where is that?"

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by andrew12678 View Post
    Indeed, the elitism is real if you attend unis like USYD or UNSW which are saturated with Private/Selective students as you may find yourself a bit isolated, but if you bring along most your friends you can form your own clique XD
    That's actually depressing.

A nice way to say 'nah you won't be accepted by the majority of kids in top uni so you'll have hang out with that one other kid from your school that made it in and make a clique of the dropkicks from western sydney'

i actually broke down yesterday. My life's been pretty shit so far and school's been terrible. I was looking forward to making friends in uni and meeting new people but I guess pretentiousness is universal.

HSC 2017
    English Advanced, Mathematics Advanced, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Business Studies
    Atar goal: 90+
    HSC goal: Band 6 all subjects boiii

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    depends on many factors but I found making uni friends much easier and despite what people say about international students I find they are really chill to get along with

the selective circlejerk has been covered which i agree mostly but still in my field atleast (maths/ed) most are quite chill

Probably more prevalent in law/bus/eng which is why ironically dont have many friends from those fields
    probably bc the internal students u met arent like others in other fields (i.e. squareroot's experience)
    Ofc, I've made a lot of friends at USYD this year (and have done a lot of networking too hehe)
    have u made any outside of Usyd (not personal connections from hs or prior to uni)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Yes generally white people hang out with white people but no they are a bit less uptight

Not good at sports unfortunately

well my problem is I transferred and did different subjects to everyone so it was like being with different people everyday, but for others, it shouldn't be a problem

yeah but then I haave to act and/or advertise and waste trees by printing useless ads

>Baulko
    im sure you can still make friends when u transfer during a new year/semester
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfActing View Post
    You can do tech/well-being/producing/film/script writing + a bunch of other things that don't involve acting
    but arent they limited to some societies i.e. there's med revue and then law revue (and a couple of other revues) but from memory there's no science revue

HSC
    N/A

looks like it sadly
    um...do u reckon it would be easy from a student from a not so great high school to make friends with students who came from top performing high schools? tbh how would u know which students would be the 'leftovers/miscallaneous ones' so that you can make friends with them? (especially at events like balls/pub crawls)
    Quote Originally Posted by stopcrying View Post
    Honestly, i'm still to do my HSC and thus haven't gone to uni but i think you would be better off not assuming that. Life is what you make of it and that includes socializing and making friends. No one said it was going to be easy. Maybe you truly will face adversity when trying to 'crack into' these selective cliques. But, if you're confident, charismatic, and determined, it won't take long for people to start liking you in any social situation. Just gotta take initiative.

If i met a person, regardless of if they're from a selective/private school, and they were a cool person; id be cool with them (add them on facebook, etc etc)
    But yeah... that's just my two cents, from a selective school student (lol).
    yeah but i think a majority of students from elite schools in syd would still hold that elitism and would refuse to hang out with the miscallaneous students. i reckon some students from those elite schools that are open minded would actually be willing to make friends with any student regardless of school/socioeconomic background/etc
    Ur not fucked but it is harder esp in first year cos everybody keeps asking what school ur from and then when you tell them they have this condescending "what? Where is that?"
    oh lmao what if u already have some connections with selective school students (when u dont go to a selective school) do u reckon it'd be easier to make friends with them (as opposed to those without connections to selective school students)

A nice way to say 'nah you won't be accepted by the majority of kids in top uni so you'll have hang out with that one other kid from your school that made it in and make a clique of the dropkicks from western sydney'

i actually broke down yesterday. My life's been pretty shit so far and school's been terrible. I was looking forward to making friends in uni and meeting new people but I guess pretentiousness is universal.

My condolences are with you mate

May I wish all the bad memories of your not so great life be replaced with new forever lasting memories so then you'll never have to go through this hell again
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC

Everyone's experiences are different though so it's okay!!!

Besides, not all private/selective school kids will be as 'elitist' or pretentious as the rest and will most likely be more welcoming
    pikachu975 and Mathew587 like this.

HSC

tbh if people won't be friends with you because of your school you're better off without them, there's plenty of other cool people too meet and be friends with instead
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

Executive Member
    HSC

Not fucked. Just be yourself, no need to pressure yourself to form friendship groups on the first day of university. Of course be active and out there, join societies and go to events etc. Seriously, I'm friends with a lot of private school kids and everyone's chill. Just a stereotype that some people do participate in for the fun of it, but everyone's fine. Stop the feedback loop from hell, cut the negativity and focus on the positive. and HSC is more important rn lol
    Mathew587 and stopcrying like this.

HSC
    N/A

You'll be fine

It took square a good few years to make actual friends and he came from a shit school

My experience was an exception

If you really want just go to UWS/MACQ they are generally more friendlier

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxnuts View Post
    looks like it sadly

um...do u reckon it would be easy from a student from a not so great high school to make friends with students who came from top performing high schools? tbh how would u know which students would be the 'leftovers/miscallaneous ones' so that you can make friends with them? (especially at events like balls/pub crawls)

yeah but i think a majority of students from elite schools in syd would still hold that elitism and would refuse to hang out with the miscallaneous students. i reckon some students from those elite schools that are open minded would actually be willing to make friends with any student regardless of school/socioeconomic background/etc

oh lmao what if u already have some connections with selective school students (when u dont go to a selective school) do u reckon it'd be easier to make friends with them (as opposed to those without connections to selective school students)

My condolences are with you mate

May I wish all the bad memories of your not so great life be replaced with new forever lasting memories so then you'll never have to go through this hell again
    well if u have any way of getting into the circle it won't be a problem

Quote Originally Posted by 30june2016 View Post

Besides, not all private/selective school kids will be as 'elitist' or pretentious as the rest and will most likely be more welcoming
    True there's always selective dropkicks lol

HSC

das me ::::DDDDDD
    Queenroot and Mathew587 like this.

HSC

You don't have to be a dropkick in a selective school to be open minded and accept people based on their personality and not based on the elitism. It all really comes down to the kind of person you are.
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Green Yoda View Post
    You don't have to be a dropkick in a selective school to be open minded and accept people based on their personality and not based on the elitism. It all really comes down to the kind of person you are.
    i second this

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 30june2016 View Post

yeah that's what i said in the context that there will be some not so elitistic students from private/selective schools
    tbh if people won't be friends with you because of your school you're better off without them, there's plenty of other cool people too meet and be friends with instead
    good point although it's great to me friends with as many people as possible (well tbh whoever you can actually make friends with)
    Quote Originally Posted by si2136 View Post
    Not fucked. Just be yourself, no need to pressure yourself to form friendship groups on the first day of university. Of course be active and out there, join societies and go to events etc. Seriously, I'm friends with a lot of private school kids and everyone's chill. Just a stereotype that some people do participate in for the fun of it, but everyone's fine. Stop the feedback loop from hell, cut the negativity and focus on the positive. and HSC is more important rn lol
    well ppl want to make friends at uni bc it's a new starting point (with the exception of a couple of hs friends). Probably because you've known these private school kids for longer (or maybe you just hang out with the right students from private schools)
    You'll be fine

It took square a good few years to make actual friends and he came from a shit school

My experience was an exception

If you really want just go to UWS/MACQ they are generally more friendlier

well if u have any way of getting into the circle it won't be a problem

but everyone's more into UNSW/usyd bc of the prestige (as well as the wide range of courses on offer)

i reckon it's possible (to some extent) to hang out with those elitists from the elite schools, as long as they're willing to chat/hang out with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Yoda View Post
    true coz high school doesn't define who u are but for most of these selective school/private school kids it seems like that their lives are revolved around the fact that school defines a lot
    Mathew587 likes this.

HSC
    N/A

Legit dont go to unsw trimesters will fuck you over

Im saying this because the people who start next year will begin to settle into the semester system then suddenly they will have to change to trimesters

Its going to be a very shitty transition

HSC
    N/A

I mean its super cringe but people from selective schools wear their jerseys during the first few weeks
    Then more cringe when they buy the unsw jumpers

HSC

I mean its super cringe but people from selective schools wear their jerseys during the first few weeks
    HAHAHA, would have loved to have seen that one in person, no one did that at Usyd
    Baulkham Hills '16

English Advanced | Mathematics Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 2 | Physics | Chemistry

HSC
    N/A

Legit dont go to unsw trimesters will fuck you over

Im saying this because the people who start next year will begin to settle into the semester system then suddenly they will have to change to trimesters

Its going to be a very shitty transition
    do trisemesters mean more work or what? for usyd students it's better (i think) bc they have summer school, winter school and their 2 semesters wheras unsw has no winter school, just the current 2 semesters and summer school (although they will have 35 weeks in total by 2019 iirc)
    yeah they still have their HSC/high school ego within them which they probably would never let go of (despite the fact that high school's finished and people move on with life). ive seen photos of people doing that at uni camp....
    HAHAHA, would have loved to have seen that one in person, no one did that at Usyd
    tbh better off not doing that coz high school's finished for them and ppl move on in life (well for most of the selective schools/private schools they dont)

HSC
    N/A

trimesters mean less holidays

HSC

trimesters mean less holidays
    trimesters mean YOU CAN DO 3 REVUES IN ONE YEAR
    si2136 and Zoinked like this.
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

HSC

trimesters mean YOU CAN DO 3 REVUES IN ONE YEAR
    Hahaha
    Baulkham Hills '16

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information