What's it like doing a bridging course for math? (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
I want to study a combined degree of Law/Business. The prerequisites for my course include: Year 12 (or equivalent) English, Mathematics A or any combination of Mathematics A, B or C.

I dropped math, so I need to do "Mathematics A" or 2u. I'm not sure how bridging courses work, though.

1) So I basically can't get into my degree until I finish the bridging course?
2) How long do they go for, or is that contingent on the university?
3) Are they helpful? Particularly for a Business degree, since my teacher told me that the subject would be void of the deep, fancy mathematics beyond adding and subtracting.

My NAPLAN results for math were all in the Band 6s BTW. I dropped math because I started struggling near the end of Year 10.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
It's very rare for a course from high school to be compulsory however if they're saying it's a requirement what they likely mean is that it is assumed knowledge. Therefore, not taking the bridging course could give you a significant disadvantage.

I had a friend who had to take a bridging course equivalent to 3U, and he's told me he found it helpful going into computer science.

Although I don't study Business, I do think this bridging course will be important for you, particularly since you say you started struggling with maths in year 10.

stopcrying

HSC
I'm pretty sure that the only university that denies entry if you don't do 2u Maths is USYD but that's beginning in 2019. So i'm assuming bridging course is strongly recommended for your course but not a 'needed' to get into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)