Thread: What's it like doing a bridging course for math?

HSC

What's it like doing a bridging course for math?

I want to study a combined degree of Law/Business. The prerequisites for my course include: Year 12 (or equivalent) English, Mathematics A or any combination of Mathematics A, B or C.

I dropped math, so I need to do "Mathematics A" or 2u. I'm not sure how bridging courses work, though.

1) So I basically can't get into my degree until I finish the bridging course?
    2) How long do they go for, or is that contingent on the university?
    3) Are they helpful? Particularly for a Business degree, since my teacher told me that the subject would be void of the deep, fancy mathematics beyond adding and subtracting.

My NAPLAN results for math were all in the Band 6s BTW. I dropped math because I started struggling near the end of Year 10.
    Prelims 2017

English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Ancient History | Business Studies | Modern History | Legal Studies | Music 2

HSC 2018

English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Legal Studies

ATAR Aim: 98.50

HSC

Re: What's it like doing a bridging course for math?

It's very rare for a course from high school to be compulsory however if they're saying it's a requirement what they likely mean is that it is assumed knowledge. Therefore, not taking the bridging course could give you a significant disadvantage.

I had a friend who had to take a bridging course equivalent to 3U, and he's told me he found it helpful going into computer science.

Although I don't study Business, I do think this bridging course will be important for you, particularly since you say you started struggling with maths in year 10.
    2015 HSC
    Mathematics 2U
    2016 HSC
    Advanced English, Drama, Maths 3U, Maths 4U, Music 2, Extension Music, Chemistry, Software Design & Development
    Currently studying
    Advanced Mathematics (Hons)/Computer Science @ UNSW (2017– )

HSC

Re: What's it like doing a bridging course for math?

I'm pretty sure that the only university that denies entry if you don't do 2u Maths is USYD but that's beginning in 2019. So i'm assuming bridging course is strongly recommended for your course but not a 'needed' to get into it.

Thread Information