What you wish you knew before starting UNI (1 Viewer)

Robbie M

HSC
Hey guys im currently in year 12 and like many, planning on going to university.
Does anyone have any tips or anything they wish they knew before making the transition?

Thanks

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
i answered a very familiar thread today

read that

and read my gguide to UNSW if you plan on going there

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm assuming you also have specific questions why not just ask

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Be very self-disciplined, your results can slip faster than you can realise if you enjoy the freedom of uni too much, and make meaningful friends-don't force friendships in first year

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Don't fully focus yourself on uni as its a means to an end.

If you dont plan to graduate in the top 5 of your class you should be networking within your industry and constantly looking for experience. If not you'll struggle.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Also if you want to go into business or IT look into after school traineeships now as youre too late for cadetships and coops.

Mathew587

HSC
I wish I didn't stress as much @ HSC, total waste of energy :p
what bs is this... I thought you didn't even study that much during HSC. like you seemed to have spent half the year chilling and sleeping according to your timetable somewhere on BoS...

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
what bs is this... I thought you didn't even study that much during HSC. like you seemed to have spent half the year chilling and sleeping according to your timetable somewhere on BoS...
Just because I wasn't studying doesn't mean I wasn't stressing ;) It wasn't so much stressing over marks and studying, it was more like "oh shit I gotta get into uni and my life is about to change completely and wtf i don't know how to handle this"

protip: life isn't ending and hsc is very forgettable

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I wish there were options other than uni and if it was a bit more flexiable

sida1049

HSC
Read the degree rules and restrictions religiously.

I ended up having to take 3 extra senior Arts units due to me accidentally not reading a particular word in my degree rules. But a lot of people suffer hell of a lot more from not properly taking the time to read.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
be prepared to be a smoker/alcoholic/druggo to succeed

Snowflek

HSC
Read the degree rules and restrictions religiously.

I ended up having to take 3 extra senior Arts units due to me accidentally not reading a particular word in my degree rules. But a lot of people suffer hell of a lot more from not properly taking the time to read.
What is this degree rules and restrictions? Where do you find it?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
What is this degree rules and restrictions? Where do you find it?
At UNSW you just check the handbook, it has all the information, not sure about other unis

I wish I knew that taking physics as an elective is the dumbest decision ever and I should not have done it

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Sometime in the first year, may be wise to get career's advice for structuring your program of study so that you don't have to end up taking an extra semester or two.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Most people will normally worry about job availabilities once they graduate (especially if you're in science), but this advice is mainly for education students. Do not worry AT ALL because from the placements you'll be doing during your undergraduate and maybe postgraduate if you continue, it will not be hard to find a job. If you still want to get experience elsewhere then volunteer on campus or wherever you want, but don't worry too much about buffing your resume when it'll actually be filled without you even realising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)