getting into law! (1 Viewer)

zeee1999

HSC
i would love to do law at unsw or usyd , however i didnt sit the LAT test for unsw and thought about doing a bachelor of criminology /criminal justice for a year and transferring. Also , another option is doing a bachelor of arts at usyd with a major in socio-legal studies and transferring bc im not going to get 99.50, what would you guys recommend?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think internal transfer is always an option, it doesn't actually matter what degree you do-i.e. don't do criminology because you think it is mostly aligned to law, because when you study law degree, you will be required to study many different areas of law, and criminal law is just a subject or two and the focus of criminal law compared to criminology is not necessarily the same (the latter is usually much more theoretical than the latter). Do a degree you like, make sure you study hard to get good marks, distinction is helpful, but 80+ would be solid... and since universities usually have guaranteed number of internal transfer places, it is not extremely hard to internally transfer to law after first year. Good Luck :)

zeee1999

HSC
I think internal transfer is always an option, it doesn't actually matter what degree you do-i.e. don't do criminology because you think it is mostly aligned to law, because when you study law degree, you will be required to study many different areas of law, and criminal law is just a subject or two and the focus of criminal law compared to criminology is not necessarily the same (the latter is usually much more theoretical than the latter). Do a degree you like, make sure you study hard to get good marks, distinction is helpful, but 80+ would be solid... and since universities usually have guaranteed number of internal transfer places, it is not extremely hard to internally transfer to law after first year. Good Luck :)
yeah thats what i was thinking! i kind of like the usyd option better because its not confined to just criminology etc , thanks!! also im kind of confused about the whole uni process like do you specify your majors etc when atar comes out?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah thats what i was thinking! i kind of like the usyd option better because its not confined to just criminology etc , thanks!! also im kind of confused about the whole uni process like do you specify your majors etc when atar comes out?
You will figure it out as you go along haha-and no you don't declare your major when your ATAR comes out. You usually can declare your major during your first of second year of uni. Also there's no major in law because you are required to do many different areas of law that there isn't an area you spend more time in than others for you to major in it, although you will get to do some electives near the end of your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)