law school? (1 Viewer)

zeee1999

HSC
how important is the university someone attends in terms of who major firms employ?? do they only look at uni's like usyd and unsw??

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think the university one attends is a major consideration, when major firms employ-they are basically looking for
Academic excellence-usually distinction or higher
Well rounded personality (sociable) AND
extracurricular involvement/relevant industry experience

enoilgam

HSC
how important is the university someone attends in terms of who major firms employ?? do they only look at uni's like usyd and unsw??
I worked on graduate recruitment one year for a Big 6 firm and uni prestige is unfortunately a factor. Most industries generally dont consider the uni, however law is a very old school boys club and partners very much look at prestige. That being said, if you get good grades (very important in law) and build up some solid experience, you will be fairly employable even if you go somewhere like UWS/UoW. You just might struggle with the top firms.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
dont fucking do it

theres a huge graduate glut compared to available jobs unless you are in the top % or know someone who can get you a job you are probably making a big mistake

zeee1999

HSC
dont fucking do it

theres a huge graduate glut compared to available jobs unless you are in the top % or know someone who can get you a job you are probably making a big mistake
doesnt that apply to most industries though? i know law has a lot of graduates per year that dont equate to the number of free jobs but i feel like thats the case with a lot of other careers

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
doesnt that apply to most industries though? i know law has a lot of graduates per year that dont equate to the number of free jobs but i feel like thats the case with a lot of other careers
I agree, just try it out and see whether you like it. Even if you start off with a less prestigious uni, you can always transfer to a better one if you so wish to.

enoilgam

HSC
dont fucking do it

To be fair, Ii you are passionate about law and willing to put in the hard yards, then the work is definitely out there. However, if you are getting into law because it pays well, is prestigious and/or because you think it's a safe choice, think again. If those things are what you want, then Id go with Engineering (specifically civil and mechanical and to a lesser extent electrical and mechatronic).

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Law isn't as bad as management consulting (MBB in particular) or investment banking when it comes to USYD/UNSW versus the rest.

Assuming you mean the top-tier commercial law firms, they definitely have summer clerks and graduates who come from unis like UTS, MQ, UOW, etc.

Don't forget that not all law graduates are interested in legal practice and for those who are interested in legal practice, not all of those people are interested in getting a spot at a top-tier commercial law firm.

Last edited:

zeee1999

HSC
it seems like everyone i know is telling me to run in the opposite direction to law hahah, i would like to work in a top-tier commercial law firm and am hoping to do commerce/law at unsw , i mean if i dont like it i can always change i know people who have changed their degrees/career paths so many times its ridiculous

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
it seems like everyone i know is telling me to run in the opposite direction to law hahah, i would like to work in a top-tier commercial law firm and am hoping to do commerce/law at unsw , i mean if i dont like it i can always change i know people who have changed their degrees/career paths so many times its ridiculous
Are you passionate about law, is it something you think you will really enjoy doing? If the answer is yes. then law is a good choice.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're interested in actual legal practice as of now, then definitely give Commerce/Law a shot. You may end up wanting to go into a commercial law firm like you intended after a few years of studying. But you could also easily end up in a different area of law (e.g. criminal law) or in a non-legal field (e.g. consulting, financial services, etc.).

I'd only advise you to reconsider Commerce/Law if you have absolutely zero intention in practising law from the start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)