Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By sabbabbby
  • 1 Post By rainbow_student
  • 1 Post By sabbabbby

Thread: Accept early offer? or wait for January Round?

Cadet
    HSC

Accept early offer? or wait for January Round?

I have just been notified that I am eligible for Macquarie University through SRS. Initially Macquarie University had been my back up after USYD so it wasn't my first preference. However, now I am required to put Macquarie Uni as first preference otherwise I can't secure the offer. My ATAR is not out yet, so I don't know if I would get into USYD. Any recommendations?

HSC

Re: Accept early offer? or wait for January Round?

Leave macquarie as your first preference, once you get the offer then (most likely first Dec offer round), accept that offer and then put USYD as your first preference (after getting rid of MQ in the preferences since you'd have been accepted then) and hopefully you get an offer from USYD in the later offer rounds. If you do, you can accept the new offer from USYD and cancel with MQ. If not, you still have MQ as a safe spot.
    Last edited by sabbabbby; 10 Nov 2017 at 9:20 AM.
    Neuroscience fella

2018 Sci (Neuroscience) @ University of Sydney

2017’ HSC alumni

Cadet
    HSC

I will follow your advice. Thank you so much! ^____^
    sabbabbby likes this.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow_student View Post
    I will follow your advice. Thank you so much! ^____^
    No worries! Hope all goes well
    rainbow_student likes this.
    Neuroscience fella

2017’ HSC alumni

HSC

Hi! I was just wondering, once you do get an offer from Macquarie can you completely remove it from your preferences??

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ek501 View Post
    Hi! I was just wondering, once you do get an offer from Macquarie can you completely remove it from your preferences??
    Yes, once you accept the offer it's a matter between you and MQ. UAC is out of the picture at that point so you're ok to remove the preference without affecting the offer.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

I'm in the exact same boat, need to make MQ my first preference before Dec round 2.

If I put it in first and get the offer, then in the later rounds have the other preferences moved up, would that not be decreasing the chance that a uni would still have positions available after the first ATAR round (Dec round 2), especially if it's a place like USYD, UNSW etc.?

And so I fully understand, offers are made to all those that pass the cut off selection rank (not ATAR), no other criteria, right? (I don't mean the cut offs from previous years seen in brochures.)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sparcut View Post
    I'm in the exact same boat, need to make MQ my first preference before Dec round 2.

If I put it in first and get the offer, then in the later rounds have the other preferences moved up, would that not be decreasing the chance that a uni would still have positions available after the first ATAR round (Dec round 2), especially if it's a place like USYD, UNSW etc.?

And so I fully understand, offers are made to all those that pass the cut off selection rank (not ATAR), no other criteria, right? (I don't mean the cut offs from previous years seen in brochures.)
    Well yeah there is that chance lost if you could not get an offer in the first Dec main rounds for that reason. But honestly anything can happen, sometimes they won’t have enough people, so then accept you, or someone who’s received an offer from them earlier may have cancelled it or their offer may have expired lol by not accepting/enrolling by a certain date and so there’s more spots available. But yeah it really depends on the popularity of the course and it’s amount of intakes obviously. Can’t really tell beforehand.
    Last edited by sabbabbby; 20 Nov 2017 at 8:34 PM.
    Neuroscience fella

2017’ HSC alumni

HSC

lmao mq requires first preferences? Sounds about right. I know other universities do it, but gee...

Anyhoo, I suggest you play the game and follow the suggestions given. Just know that you are under absolutely no obligation to accept an offer from MQ or anywhere else for that matter. As soon as you've accepted your MQ offer, change your preferences. What are MQ going to do about it?

Just remember what university you really want to do, and what course motivates you. That should make things alot more clear and help you gain perspective.
    learning to love the BA??? (2017-2019)

Thread Information