Which is better? A double major in one degree or a double degree? (1 Viewer)

Double Degree or Double Major?

• D. Degree

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • D. Major

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

silverdawn565

HSC
The main degree I want to get into is IT. But I thought having a Business degree wouldn't be a bad idea, considering I have a mutual interest in it.
Initially I was gonna do a double major in IT (wish I could do all 3 majors!)
I've been doing IT related courses since Year 7 (ICT was compulsory but I chose IT electives throughout Year 8 to 12) but I have done no business related subjects at all.
So just in general wanted to know if it is better to do a double degree or a double major?
Also if you were to drop a degree in a combined degree would it be possible to change things around to do a double major?

Thanks.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
A double degree is broader than a double major

For example, you can double major in AI and Security in Computer Science, but you can't major in "business" under Computer Science.

You can also double major within a double degree (sometimes)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
You can ~let where university takes you~ and double major in a double degree (whether or not this is possible depends on the course / institution). To answer your question, I much prefer two majors in a single degree. That way you diversify yourself, showing you can think under the one umbrella, but still branch yourself out. Double degrees are just not for me. They do wonders for others.... just not me. Took me a while to learn that.

As for what is best for you, that question will only be answered via experience and research. It's still early days. Keep in mind, that some universities will let you take a secondary major outside of the faculty (potentially, you could major in business and IT).

Don't feel pressure to fit in a narrow box. Use your first year wisely and well, and you'll find what fields work for you, and which ones don't.

I think to do a double degree, you have to want to do it and be invested in both fields.

stopcrying

HSC
A double degree is broader than a double major

For example, you can double major in AI and Security in Computer Science, but you can't major in "business" under Computer Science.

You can also double major within a double degree (sometimes)
Maybe it's just at USYD but i know you can double major in almost anything as long as you have your first major within the degree's requirements.

For example, in a Bachelor of Science you must have a science major. (lets say you choose computer science)

Your second major can then be chosen from a shared pool of majors which includes almost anything from all faculties (so you can in fact pick finance or accounting or banking as a supplementary major)

Also, double degrees REQUIRE double majoring. i.e. If you had a double degree in Arts/Commerce, you'd have to have atleast one major in arts and one major in commerce.

Personally, i think unless you're doing Law (in which you're required to do a double degree), you really dont need to spend 5 years in undergrad when you can sufficiently get out in 3 (4 if its engineering). The way that i see it is that you can double major in 3 years and then get straight into the workforce or even go into post grad. In this situation, rather than having 5 years in an undergraduate double degree, you could have 3years + 2 in the workforce OR 3 years + 2 years postgrad respectively (most masters/postgrad degrees are 2 year courses anyway)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)