Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

  1. #1
    Cadet Dilara98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    2

    Question B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

    Which uni is better for this dual degree? I’m planning on International relations or political science as the Arts major and Psychology as the Science major. I’m not sure which uni should be my first preference. Sucks that USYD doesn’t have the dual degree anymore.

    Thoughts?

    P.S. I don’t mind living in Canberra, in fact, I would love to leave this populated city for a bit lol

  2. #2
    Senior Member sida1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    605
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

    Though it's unfortunate that USYD doesn't really do combined degrees anymore, you can still do those exact same majors under B. Arts/B. Adv Studies or B. Sci/B. Adv Studies (which might even be better, since you would not need to do compulsory/additional units to graduate in the second degree). That is, if you're still interested in studying here.

    Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)/Bachelor of Arts III, USYD

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

    Quote Originally Posted by Dilara98 View Post
    Which uni is better for this dual degree? I’m planning on International relations or political science as the Arts major and Psychology as the Science major. I’m not sure which uni should be my first preference. Sucks that USYD doesn’t have the dual degree anymore.

    Thoughts?

    P.S. I don’t mind living in Canberra, in fact, I would love to leave this populated city for a bit lol
    For the love of god do not move to canberra and do not go to ANU (see qualification below). The institution has grandiose pretensions at being an 'elite' university but this only applies to their research output. The undergraduate student experience, by and large, is streets below what places like UNSW and USyd can offer, mostly by virtue of their location, history, and size. Every aspect of the place is probably a generation behind that of the big interstate universities; e.g. a lot of their student accommodation is quite dilapidated (threadbare carpets, paint literally peeling off the walls, no air con in summer, etc.) and their main student precinct (akin to Eastern Av at USyd) is only now starting to be refurbished after decades of being a windswept, barren wasteland. As for teaching quality, most departments are known to be severely underresourced, which leads to overcrowded lecture theatres and the like. I could go on but I think this offers a vastly more detailed and comprehensive justification of my impressions of ANU.

    To be fair, the ANU has probably the best international relations and political science departments in the country. Due to its location in Canberra, the university plays host to a number of well known lecturers in these fields, eg John Hewson, Bruce Chapman, Hugh White, Michael Wesley, etc. Does this make up for the place's broader inferiority to UNSW and USyd? I personally would say no, but if you have a particular passion for these areas then it might well be worth it.

    Haven't heard a great deal about the ANU Psychology department but safe to say it's not one of the institution's strengths.
    Last edited by laodeming; 23 Nov 2017 at 10:22 PM.
    2017 HSC: English Advanced // English Extension 1 // English Extension 2 // Mathematics Extension 1 // Mathematics Extension 2 // Physics // Chemistry // Economics

    LAT 2016: 100th percentile // UMAT 2017: 99th percentile

  4. #4
    Cadet Dilara98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

    Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    Though it's unfortunate that USYD doesn't really do combined degrees anymore, you can still do those exact same majors under B. Arts/B. Adv Studies or B. Sci/B. Adv Studies (which might even be better, since you would not need to do compulsory/additional units to graduate in the second degree). That is, if you're still interested in studying here.
    Ohh I didn’t know about that. Thanks I’ll look into it!
    2017 HSC
    Advanced English - Biology - Senior Science - Modern History - Mathematics General II
    ATAR aim: 80ish
    ATAR achieved: 80.55

  5. #5
    Cadet Dilara98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: B Arts/Science UNSW vs ANU

    Quote Originally Posted by laodeming View Post
    For the love of god do not move to canberra and do not go to ANU (see qualification below). The institution has grandiose pretensions at being an 'elite' university but this only applies to their research output. The undergraduate student experience, by and large, is streets below what places like UNSW and USyd can offer, mostly by virtue of their location, history, and size. Every aspect of the place is probably a generation behind that of the big interstate universities; e.g. a lot of their student accommodation is quite dilapidated (threadbare carpets, paint literally peeling off the walls, no air con in summer, etc.) and their main student precinct (akin to Eastern Av at USyd) is only now starting to be refurbished after decades of being a windswept, barren wasteland. As for teaching quality, most departments are known to be severely underresourced, which leads to overcrowded lecture theatres and the like. I could go on but I think this offers a vastly more detailed and comprehensive justification of my impressions of ANU.

    To be fair, the ANU has probably the best international relations and political science departments in the country. Due to its location in Canberra, the university plays host to a number of well known lecturers in these fields, eg John Hewson, Bruce Chapman, Hugh White, Michael Wesley, etc. Does this make up for the place's broader inferiority to UNSW and USyd? I personally would say no, but if you have a particular passion for these areas then it might well be worth it.

    Haven't heard a great deal about the ANU Psychology department but safe to say it's not one of the institution's strengths.
    Oh boy I’m not hearing nice things about anu on any forum I go to lol. Thanks for this though! I’ll probably Rethink my preferences.
    2017 HSC
    Advanced English - Biology - Senior Science - Modern History - Mathematics General II
    ATAR aim: 80ish
    ATAR achieved: 80.55

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •