Sexual Assault experiences at Uni (1 Viewer)

mini8658

HSC
N/A
Hey, sorry to put a damper on all the end of year celebrations and orientation threads, but with recent news about sexual assault at usyd etc, it's just raised the question of what's the environment like at all uni's, and what's everyone's honest experience with sexual assault/harassment (hopefully there's none!).

So umm, out of all the "main 4" uni's (unsw, usyd, uts, mq) which one is the worst/best (or give ranking?) in terms of sexual harassment? How often does it occur? Is it only in colleges/parties or during class as well? What were your personal experiences? Sorry if this thread offends or triggers anyone, but I just thought it'll be an interesting and potentially useful thing for future students to read ^_^

i1337

HSC
N/A
Not as bad as people make it out to be. USYD is obviously the exception.

sida1049

HSC
Generally if you stay out of the colleges/parties, you can expect not having to experience sexual assault/harassment at your time at any of the universities you've mentioned.

With parties, there's always a risk, even if it isn't a college party, because there are always drunk and predatory pieces of shit. But this isn't something limited to uni students.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yeah I would say student accom/colleges is where it's rampant, with any uni really. From personally knowing people at UWS & UNSW it has happened to them. And of course we all know about notorious usyd lol. But otherwise I would say, just as someone who goes to uni and back, you won't face it.

That being said this has happened
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...acks-on-five-women-east-in-sydney-denied-bail

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Kinda weird cos most people are at uni during those times and to have no witnesses

Dilara98

HSC
N/A
Wow wait I know I might sound naive here to think that there wouldn’t be much, or even at all, any sexual assault but just to be clear, it’s just at parties right?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wow wait I know I might sound naive here to think that there wouldn’t be much, or even at all, any sexual assault but just to be clear, it’s just at parties right?
Well the ones I am talking about didnt happen at parties, they happened within the circles of the student accom/colleges.

That being said ofc it is prevalent at parties which is not limited to uni ones.

sida1049

HSC
As far as I'm aware, it hasn't happened to anyone I know yet. My girlfriend studies engineering at USYD, which is a discipline where the gender ratio is as asymmetric as you can get, and she hasn't experienced anything close to that (or even sexism) in her two years of studying so far. So while those bad things exist and sometimes happen to people, it's generally uncommon; it's just that when it happens, it's a heinous crime, so people often prefer to err on the side of caution and say that "things are bad". And they're not necessarily wrong, but you shouldn't need to have to go through uni with more caution than any other areas of your life, e.g. high school, the work force, going to the movies, et cetera.

And I think you're right on the parties one. I don't have any numbers to back this up (though I'm sure it isn't difficult to find them), but I'd encourage everyone to be extra cautious at parties.

captainneuro

HSC
Hey, sorry to put a damper on all the end of year celebrations and orientation threads, but with recent news about sexual assault at usyd etc, it's just raised the question of what's the environment like at all uni's, and what's everyone's honest experience with sexual assault/harassment (hopefully there's none!).

So umm, out of all the "main 4" uni's (unsw, usyd, uts, mq) which one is the worst/best (or give ranking?) in terms of sexual harassment? How often does it occur? Is it only in colleges/parties or during class as well? What were your personal experiences? Sorry if this thread offends or triggers anyone, but I just thought it'll be an interesting and potentially useful thing for future students to read ^_^
I don’t appreciate this, makes me scared to go to uni lol

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
I don’t appreciate this, makes me scared to go to uni lol
I wouldnt worry too much, just be careful who you associate with and be aware of your environment and if you are finishing late walk with someone you trust

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt worry too much, just be careful who you associate with and be aware of your environment and if you are finishing late walk with someone you trust
Careful, you wouldn't want to be accused of victim blaming...

In all seriousness though, I agree, be aware of who you hang out with and your general surroundings. It has to be said that some of these women really were careless. Getting drunk and passing out at a college party probably isnt the most safe thing to do. There is no excuse for rape and these people are victims, but that doesn't mean people should be careless. This applies to men as well - even as a guy, I would never get drunk at a party with people I didn't know or trust. I would also never catch public transport home after 11pm at night - I get a cab.

I really feel like the whole "victim blaming" card has been used to distract from a very serious point which needs to be made about safety. I tell my siblings this and Id tell my kids this as well (if I had any) - be careful of your surroundings and avoid getting into compromising situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)