Journalism (1 Viewer)

Christine

beige member
HSC
hey is anyone going to study journalism or media next yr? if so what uni do u want to go to and why?
i'm thinking charles sturt but do i want to live in bathurst????
i hate cold weather.
then there is sydney uni but you need a UAI of 96 and i need a miracle for that kind of mark....
ciao :)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeh im trying to get into the one at uts. writing and contemporary cultures. not really media but i think its under the media department? i have no idea.

anyway csu is really good for media, cept its in the middle of nowhere!

Missy

UTS

hey, im looking at a business/international studies degree at UTS...

but if u want media, UTS has really great other courses...
i was really into the journalism thing, but like u, i quiestioned the fact of living in bathurst! but who cares about that when its thre best uni for Media and related courses....
u can always party in sydney on the weekends!

besides, if u want u should look at UWS, much lower UAI courses which are what ur looking for... dont worry, im in the same boat (its crappy and about to fall apart on the rough seas, but hopefully it will get us there in the end! see how 'deep' im getting? must be the overload of study lol)

ta!

Christine

beige member
HSC
yea i was thinking about UTS but then again, i need high marks.
And as for UWS - the course i would like to do is at bankstown and i live at castle hill- its a loooooong way to go everyday!
Theres some excellent media courses interstate too but my mums veteod that idea! lol
I'm thinking Bathurst it is....

bex

HSC
i want to do something in journalism or PR... I heard Charles Sturt is one of, if not the best for those areas so im looking into that... Bathurst isnt really that far away i mean you can go home on weekends and stuff... my first preference would have to be sydney uni though... i love everything about it!!!

Christine

beige member
HSC
yea with charles sturt they say you get headhunted and i think something like 90% of graduates have jobs before they finish their courses.....
i would looooove to go to sydney theres just the small matter of the uai of 96!

Cyberflush

Hey, I'm in my first year of journo at UTS and its absolutely fantastic!

Very practical and not too hard, you'll have a ball!
I've met a graduate of CSU journalism and she thinks that CSU is better than UTS (of course she'd say that!).

But yeah, the courses are very practical, there are heaps of choices to the type of journalism you'd like to do (television, radio, print, online... etc..)...

So give it a thought, make the most out of it and you'll have the time of your life!

-Johnny-

P.s I am NOT getting paid to promote UTS Journo =)

Lee

bathurst, csu is definatly the best for any job in media/journlism/PR. my mum is an employer and she looks highly upon csu grads. if you do want to stay in sydney she also suggests UTS.

and um, if you don't get into the coure you want there are heaps of ways aroud it to get where you want:) my mother now own her own buisness in PR and did little more than an arts degree at newcastle with majors in journolism:) there is hope for everyone:)

bex

HSC
Id really like to go to UTS but the uai is so high! its crazy!
CSU is a possibility (i hope!)

Christine

beige member
HSC
mmmm i've discovered a problem with csu.... they don't tell u the uai cutoff or the fees on the site....... GRRR I want my uac guide!
it says something about a questionnare so maybe they don't really look at uai's. anyone know??

Missy

about csu...

yes, they do have all applicants for the communications courses fill out an application form, which they heavily depend on as choosing future students, but they do also look at the UAI of course... you're probably looking at mid-high 80's, but at least u know the UAI's not all they are counting on!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE (including myself, cos i fricken need it!) starting their trials tomorrow!!!!!!

may the force (of functioning brain cells) be with you!

:D

medea

none of your fricken business, i know where you li
journo

UTS is the place to be if you wanna get into journo. its got a very practical hands on journo course. on your first assignment they completely throw you in the deep end and send you off somewhere in sydney and make you sniff out and write a story.

its one of hte most challenging courses to do. debunk all myths of being the next paul barry, or christopher hitchens. its fucking hard work.

i'd say never go in there with all these false dreamy exspectations and you'll get alot out of it!!!

you'll do things you never dreamed of.

i'm in my first yr, so far i've been to mercedes fashion week, interviewed designers, i've met the president of portugal among other things. its pretty good. if thats the kinda stuff you like doing.

the challenge is to be able to be autonymous and go out there and talk to people, meet people and not being afraid to ask questions.

its a great course and you learn more than jsut writing stories.

Sarah J

HSC
The course I want to do is a combined degree at UTS- B Arts Communications (i don't know which one yet though) and International studies. It's my ideal course- I get to do communications, and I get to go to Italy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)