Early Offers Advice UNSW VS UTS VS MQ (1 Viewer)

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
Hi guys I have so far received 4 early offers:

UTS-Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Creatitve Intelligence innovation

UTS-Bachelor of Business

Macquarie-Bachelor of Applied Finance and Bachelor of Commerce-Professional accounting

Macquarie -Bachelor of Commerce

Possible other if I apply for another course in Macquarie Uni's True Reward Early Offer program.

I will also be applying for UNSW in the January round. What experiences and advice do you have about these courses and which has the best job prospects? I'm thinking of majoring in accounting and something else(mabye HR or finance). I do not intend to do IB but I'm aiming for a career in accounting and mabye finance/HR firms.

My main concerns are:
-maths content( I didn't do 4u)
-exam structure
-recommended study hours weekly
-difficulty of course
-Competitiveness
-Internships
-Employer reputation
-Will my HSC economics knowledge help me

-I heard that UTS has good industry connections and easier to obtain HDs which is plus since I will better balance work experience and school.

-Macquarie is also reputable for its accounting and finance but I heard it's applied finance course is very difficult and people end up switching to the normal Bachelor of Commerce.

-UNSW is the most reputable however it's significantly more difficult and much more maths heavy.

I'm willing to do the work and study hard but I don't know how much of a difficulty transition it is in Uni so I might be worrying too much since I want to have a good grade average(Distinction and above).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you do intend to go to Macquarie University ensure that you sign up to the professional accounting handbook as it is qualified for all major tertiary entry requirements such as CAANZ, CPA etc.

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
If you do intend to go to Macquarie University ensure that you sign up to the professional accounting handbook as it is qualified for all major tertiary entry requirements such as CAANZ, CPA etc.
Ooh thanks!! Are you a current MQU student?? Do you think MQu commerce students have good prospects in the job market(with decent marks). Also how hard is it to get internships?

captainneuro

HSC
UNSW > everything, dw about difficulty if you're willing to work and study hard. Also it doesn't require to do 4u, 2u will be good enough.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Ooh thanks!! Are you a current MQU student?? Do you think MQu commerce students have good prospects in the job market(with decent marks). Also how hard is it to get internships?
I am a current MQ student. It is difficult for all students to get a place at summer vacationer internships but with credit average and extra curricular then you should be able to pass the first stage of the application process.

MQ also sends out emails from firms seeking to hire interns. Plus if you get an internship you can have it count as one of your units for the semester, assuming that you enrol in FOBE200 or another specified internship focused unit.

Maths you should be fine for accounting majors (general or year 10 mathematics is more then sufficient), and finance most people would find it helpful to have done 3 unit or above. Your economic knowledge may help a bit for microeconomics (and a bit for macroeconomics assuming you to finance at mq) but not a significant amount.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Where are you located? I mean the nearest university to you?

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
I am a current MQ student. It is difficult for all students to get a place at summer vacationer internships but with credit average and extra curricular then you should be able to pass the first stage of the application process.

MQ also sends out emails from firms seeking to hire interns. Plus if you get an internship you can have it count as one of your units for the semester, assuming that you enrol in FOBE200 or another specified internship focused unit.

Maths you should be fine for accounting majors (general or year 10 mathematics is more then sufficient), and finance most people would find it helpful to have done 3 unit or above. Your economic knowledge may help a bit for microeconomics (and a bit for macroeconomics assuming you to finance at mq) but not a significant amount.
I will do some bridging courses just to get ahead in maths anyways for safety I think. I'm located in the upper north shore so MQ is closest but location isn't a big factor for me. I'm willing to travel anywhere to secure my future employability. How do you find Mq exams??? Are there a lot of essays or is there also short answers and multiple choice?

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
UNSW > everything, dw about difficulty if you're willing to work and study hard. Also it doesn't require to do 4u, 2u will be good enough.

Would you say it's manageable with a part time job?? I want to get a part time job but I'm worried it might be wiser to focus on getting the marks. Do you suggest tutors?

captainneuro

HSC
Would you say it's manageable with a part time job?? I want to get a part time job but I'm worried it might be wiser to focus on getting the marks. Do you suggest tutors?
Everyone does part time job while doing their course, just need to manage your time accordingly. I personally would just say don't take as many shifts during end of semesters when they have finals. Na i don't suggest tutors for it unless you can't grasp the content, which i doubt..

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I will do some bridging courses just to get ahead in maths anyways for safety I think. I'm located in the upper north shore so MQ is closest but location isn't a big factor for me. I'm willing to travel anywhere to secure my future employability. How do you find Mq exams??? Are there a lot of essays or is there also short answers and multiple choice?
I find exams appear to be more difficult then UNSW honestly.
Mostly short answer and multiple choice for exams.
Other then for BBA102 and MKTG101 most of your first year exams won't involve essays or extended responses.

captainneuro

HSC
I find exams appear to be more difficult then UNSW honestly.
another reason to pick unsw :p na but if you go macquarie, it's still good for finance/commerce so i'd say you wouldn't be disadvantaged or anything

Last edited:

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
Everyone does part time job while doing their course, just need to manage your time accordingly. I personally would just say don't take as many shifts during end of semesters when they have finals. Na i don't suggest tutors for it unless you can't grasp the content, which i doubt..
If I get a job let's say Kmart lmao will it even be relevant when I go looking for like accounting jobs in the future?? But what sort of jobs do you suggest I look for? And is UTS ok as well?

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
if u want a related one, maybe like basic administrative work in an accounting firm? lol idk

it's like top 5% worldwide for business, not bad i guess.. but <unsw
I hope someone hires me lol, I only have work experience as a pharmacy and radiology work experience student in yr 10(back when I thought about medicine).idk why I'm worrying so much about UNSW tbh. Probably because idek how much the workload will change and how competitive my cohort will be.(it's kinda like when I went from primary school to a selective school, I was so nervous and obsessed in my first few weeks).

captainneuro

HSC
I hope someone hires me lol, I only have work experience as a pharmacy and radiology work experience student in yr 10(back when I thought about medicine).idk why I'm worrying so much about UNSW tbh. Probably because idek how much the workload will change and how competitive my cohort will be.(it's kinda like when I went from primary school to a selective school, I was so nervous and obsessed in my first few weeks).
you'll hopefully get used to it just like how u got used to selective school then. Don't limit yourself to those 2 unis just because you're worried about workload/difficulty at unsw, esp when you're willing to put in the work. Good luck anyway :)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
UTS and UNSW have trimesters and Macquarie has semesters (you can choose to study some subjects in summer if you want also).

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
You put in what you want to get out. I don't think that finance is hard but that's relative to the treatment of the material I've had in my actuarial units. I would suggest just doing what you can manage, but in saying that you should go to the uni that's best for you, not just which is closest.

On another note, not doing 4u is absolutely fine. I'm doing a finance unit over summer school atm and 80% of the people in my tut class had only done general... Hours of study depends on you, this is uni not high school, you do what you want and generally people don't care. If you do straight finance then youll need a hd avg at least to make some progress in internships etc. Reputation is generally quite poor except in some finance and of course actuarial :) eh. The atars for commerce etc are much lower at mq and ull find (as I have) that when you do a common unit say econ110 which is macroeconomics, the quality of the cohort is extremely varied. Mq is definately not the most reputable uni. Also the econ youve done will kinda help but they will do everything explicitly (generally).

Last edited:

Babykbk

HSC
N/A
you'll hopefully get used to it just like how u got used to selective school then. Don't limit yourself to those 2 unis just because you're worried about workload/difficulty at unsw, esp when you're willing to put in the work. Good luck anyway :)
You put in what you want to get out. I don't think that finance is hard but that's relative to the treatment of the material I've had in my actuarial units. I would suggest just doing what you can manage, but in saying that you should go to the uni that's best for you, not just which is closest.

On another note, not doing 4u is absolutely fine. I'm doing a finance unit over summer school atm and 80% of the people in my tut class had only done general... Hours of study depends on you, this is uni not high school, you do what you want and generally people don't care. If you do straight finance then youll need a hd avg at least to make some progress in internships etc. Reputation is generally quite poor except in some finance and of course actuarial :) eh. The atars for commerce etc are much lower at mq and ull find (as I have) that when you do a common unit say econ110 which is macroeconomics, the quality of the cohort is extremely varied. Mq is definately not the most reputable uni. Also the econ youve done will kinda help but they will do everything explicitly (generally).
Interesting haha. Rn I'm leaning more towards UTS but my family want me to do UNSW Commerce.I think it's good to underestimate your abilities and play it safe so I'm still a bit scared lol.

I thought about Usyd too but it's not for me lol. I would've gone if I got an early offer from Usyd but I didn't :blink2:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Are there any good reasons that you prefer UTS over Macquarie? Just curious since many people seem to say the same that UTS Business > MQ's when MQ have a good finance/actuarial reputation. Perhaps due to the availability of honours?

I've been considering transferring as well but MQ's transport time (20 min drive) has been encouraging me not to and just go for a Masters in UNSW after my degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)