how important is a retail job in uni? (1 Viewer)

mini8658

HSC
N/A
Hey, so, I heard a lot of people say work experience is important, especially retail jobs as employers value people skills and customer service skills. However, I was wondering just how important a retail job is. Will someone get hired solely because they landed a retail job? And how long do you have to work for employers to think you develop serious customer service skills? I imagine if someone worked for a few weeks at each retail job, and then changed rapidly, it might look like they can't get along/was fired from each one to the employer for example :p So I was wondering how long you had to work for it to make a positive difference.

When they say retail experience is important, is that only for applying to other retail jobs/side jobs uni students work, or to future jobs? (Any of the big 4 accounting firms, law firms, etc) For a 'proper' job etc, will they look at that or would it all be for nothing? I'm not trashing on retail jobs, or inviting people to trash on them by any means btw, just wanting an honest opinion on retail jobs. If it applies to your personal experience, has getting a retail job helped you land another job(was it a proper job, or uni student job), or is it negligible?

D94

HSC
N/A
It might be useful in obtaining an internship, which will then lead onto further internship and graduate opportunities. Certainly work to gain money to support yourself, but ultimately, it's the relevant internships that you will be leveraging on to gain further employment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)