Uws or uts law?!? (1 Viewer)

NerdMary

HSC
I've been experiencing some confusion regarding which University would benefit me more. I currently have completed 1 year at UWS Bachelor of Arts/Law and have achieved distinctions and high distinctions while in my course. However, everyone I speak to regarding my law career tell me to transfer to one of the top universities in Sydney. I have been researching online at UTS for the business/law degree however I think my only concern would be that due to the university being one of the top tier instutions, that I might fail a unit or only achieve a credit average. I'm not sure if I should stay at UWS and graduate with distinction or transfer over to UTS and only achieve credits... I mean I'm a hard worker but I'm not quite sure how the grading system is there and I don't know anyone who goes there.

PLEASE HELP! I have less than a week to apply through UAC

Last edited:

captainneuro

HSC
In my opinion, prestige isn’t necessarily a big thing, it may be the last factor they take into account after everything else such as gpa, experience etc but know there will always be those few employers/seniors who look down on some unis and therefore may affect your chances if everything else isn’t spot on

bluesori

HSC
Unfortunately it is a growing reality that law firms sway towards hiring graduates of top tier law schools. The reason why GPA matters when you go to UWS for law is that these firms are aware that UWS may accept a lower standard of HSC students (not necessarily you) and also may mark less harshly. For that reason I'm moving from MQ law to UTS law (which isn't even up there with UNSW and Usyd, but is better than MQ for my area of study!). I decided I couldn't just settle for the comfort I had at MQ achieving effortless HDs (as in, I barely studied (started the day before 40% weighted exam) and still got a HD in the unit???? WTF?). I guess the pattern for me this year which motivated me to transfer was that I didn't feel like my grades were real... I felt like I didn't really deserve them, and that MQ was tossing out HDs too easily.

I wouldn't stress too much about your grades. It's unlikely you will fail a unit at UTS if you achieved HDs at UWS. HDs are still no easy feat no matter what uni you come from. You will most definitely find it more difficult at UTS, but it doesn't mean you aren't capable of achieving success there.

All the best :) Hope to see you next year.

NerdMary

HSC
Unfortunately it is a growing reality that law firms sway towards hiring graduates of top tier law schools. The reason why GPA matters when you go to UWS for law is that these firms are aware that UWS may accept a lower standard of HSC students (not necessarily you) and also may mark less harshly. For that reason I'm moving from MQ law to UTS law (which isn't even up there with UNSW and Usyd, but is better than MQ for my area of study!). I decided I couldn't just settle for the comfort I had at MQ achieving effortless HDs (as in, I barely studied (started the day before 40% weighted exam) and still got a HD in the unit???? WTF?). I guess the pattern for me this year which motivated me to transfer was that I didn't feel like my grades were real... I felt like I didn't really deserve them, and that MQ was tossing out HDs too easily.

I wouldn't stress too much about your grades. It's unlikely you will fail a unit at UTS if you achieved HDs at UWS. HDs are still no easy feat no matter what uni you come from. You will most definitely find it more difficult at UTS, but it doesn't mean you aren't capable of achieving success there.

All the best :) Hope to see you next year.

Thank you so much for your feedback. So I applied through UAC, however because I only did 4 units in my first semester and only 3 units in my second semester it does not matriculate for UTS to see this at 1 year full time study! So unfortunately I wasn't able to get in, but I will try again next year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)