Thread: Advanced Science Question. ANU vs UNSW

Cadet
    HSC

Advanced Science Question. ANU vs UNSW

So I want to do a Bachelor of Advanced Science, majoring in either Chemistry or Physics (most likely Chemistry).
    I'm just curious as to which out of ANU and UNSW would be better purely based off of academic quality.
    In the same sense, what would the differences be in the two degrees, as, to me they look the exact same
    For anyone doing this degree, any tips or reccomendations or anything?

And lastly, where does this take me in terms of employability. I am sort of at a point where I'm fairly sure this is the degree I want to do, however I'm not sure where it will lead for me.
    Thanks heaps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    HSC 2018: 3U | 4U | Chemistry | Physics | Advanced English |
    ATAR Goal: 96.50

HSC

Re: Advanced Science Question. ANU vs UNSW

Quote Originally Posted by JaxsenW View Post
    So I want to do a Bachelor of Advanced Science, majoring in either Chemistry or Physics (most likely Chemistry).
    I'm just curious as to which out of ANU and UNSW would be better purely based off of academic quality.
    In the same sense, what would the differences be in the two degrees, as, to me they look the exact same
    For anyone doing this degree, any tips or reccomendations or anything?

And lastly, where does this take me in terms of employability. I am sort of at a point where I'm fairly sure this is the degree I want to do, however I'm not sure where it will lead for me.
    Thanks heaps.
    First, both are good universities. ANU has a better reputation internationally based on QS and Times ranking but also simply based on the fact that the name is more recognisable outside Aust. UNSW is very famous for some things in Physics too. Can you stay at home? Living outside home can cost up to $20K/year ...

Employability. You are better off doing Engineering or computing if you want a job. You are doing STEM so you should not be without a job. But the main reason you do Adv Science is to get into an academic career - and good research positions are hard to find and don't pay as well as industry, unless you leave Australia. Expect to do a PhD before you really get some status from an academic point of view. Once you have a PhD no one really cares about where you did you undergrad.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by JC321 View Post
    First, both are good universities. ANU has a better reputation internationally based on QS and Times ranking but also simply based on the fact that the name is more recognisable outside Aust. UNSW is very famous for some things in Physics too. Can you stay at home? Living outside home can cost up to $20K/year ...

Employability. You are better off doing Engineering or computing if you want a job. You are doing STEM so you should not be without a job. But the main reason you do Adv Science is to get into an academic career - and good research positions are hard to find and don't pay as well as industry, unless you leave Australia. Expect to do a PhD before you really get some status from an academic point of view. Once you have a PhD no one really cares about where you did you undergrad.
    I live about 6 hours away from UNSW and about 3.5 away from ANU, so I sort of have to move unfortunately.

In terms of career, I have always wanted to do research, and have also heard that basically in order to do this I would have to move abroad, which I believe I am prepared to do also.

I am really passionate about this degree, so I do want to make it work.
    Thanks for the info

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    HSC 2018: 3U | 4U | Chemistry | Physics | Advanced English |
    ATAR Goal: 96.50

HSC

i'd say unsw, i hear undergrad experience at anu is terrible and that its good for its rankings and prestige only.
    Science at University of Sydney

Thread Information