Is law boring (1 Viewer)

Faisalkhan7

HSC
N/A
I need an hoenst answer. Can the degree become unegaging and quiet boring. I did legal in high school and did well but found the subject to get quiet boring. Is this the same with law

HSC
There's a lot of reading involved. So if you're not too keen on that, you're not gonna have much fun.

sida1049

HSC
Yup. 99.50% of people will find it incredibly boring.

But there are people who really want to do well to get into the legal industry, and that drives people to stop seeing it boring.

But yes, objectively it's uninteresting for the most part (with exceptions to ethical discussions and whatnot... I heard criminal law is kind of interesting). I mean just have a read of this unit description and tell me if you can get off to it.

enoilgam

HSC
I need an hoenst answer. Can the degree become unegaging and quiet boring. I did legal in high school and did well but found the subject to get quiet boring. Is this the same with law
First of all, Legal Studies and a Law degree are very different, I wouldnt based my decision to study law off legal studies. As to whether the profession is boring or not, that's really personal preference. I studied it until second year and I found it to be miserably boring - other people I know love it. I dropped out in second year and it was one of the best decisions I made.

When choosing a career path, the most common mistake people make is they think about the idea of a profession, not the reality. People think "Im good at writing and English, plus Im interested in legal stuff so I think Law is the career for me" - this is the wrong mentality. You need to develop an understanding of what a lawyer does day to day and how the legal profession operates.

Generally speaking, Law is a very challenging and demanding profession. Obviously, most people who become lawyers will work for a law firm. This environment is very high pressure and personally demanding. A good friend of mine is a commercial lawyer and he works long hours (8am - 7pm, plus weekends sometimes) and is constantly under pressure to meet his billable hours (if you arent familiar with this concept, then you really need to do more research before entering the profession). One of the benefits of working in a law firm is they reward loyalty and performance - lawyers who work hard and show competence are usually rewarded with promotions and career progression (sadly, in many other industries, these attributes arent rewarded to this extent). There is a lot of talk about law being difficult to get into due to an oversupply of graduates. Whilst I do agree that there is an oversupply, I think it is quite exaggerated. As long as you get good marks during uni and focus on building your CV with extra-curricular and what not, you should be fine.

sida1049

HSC
When choosing a career path, the most common mistake people make is they think about the idea of a profession, not the reality. People think "Im good at writing and English, plus Im interested in legal stuff so I think Law is the career for me" - this is the wrong mentality. You need to develop an understanding of what a lawyer does day to day and how the legal profession operates.
Exactly the same with "I'm good at HSC extension 2 maths and therefore I will study actuarial studies or engineering".

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Studied finance, law and med. Can confirm law is very interesting but obviously depends on people. The readings are the ground works. It only starts to get really interesting when you actually think about it/analyse problems.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Yup. 99.50% of people will find it incredibly boring.

But there are people who really want to do well to get into the legal industry, and that drives people to stop seeing it boring.

But yes, objectively it's uninteresting for the most part (with exceptions to ethical discussions and whatnot... I heard criminal law is kind of interesting). I mean just have a read of this unit description and tell me if you can get off to it.
I studied contracts law on exchange and found it very interesting. Might have been because I'm not studying law for 3 years, but still...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)