Getting ahead in uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
First year uni student here! Obviously i have no idea how classes work and such so I'm not too sure about effective study methods and such. Also what are good ways to get ahead in class?

High school was so much more straightforward :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
there is no point getting ahead in class because you've only got 13 weeks

it is better to stay on top of your work
I agree with this so much. In uni you will realise understanding what you have learnt is WAY more important than getting ahead for the sake of it.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Retrospectively, the best way you can prepare is,
* Complete the pre-readings so that you can follow the lecture
* Spend the time listening and noting down what the lecturer has said as these are usually the stuff that will be tested.
* Afterwards, combine this with the pre-reading you already completed to add in the fat of what was discussed from the lecture.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I highly recommend you come to tutorials / practicals prepared, having already done the readings and are familiar with the lecture / textbook. Knowing what you are talking about and having questions / ideas will help. I'm not just talking about participation marks- but it will help with motivation, essays / exams, presentations, etc. So be an engaged student.

Like others said, a uni class isn't a race where you have to be 'ahead'. What's important are your organization skills (summarizing notes, keeping tabs on assessments due). Sometimes it's about also being smart and dilligent- not being afraid to ask questions when you are struggling or confused (because that will happen. No matter how prepared you are, you will eventually feel lost)

If you have time, and want to read further within the textbook- go ahead! But make sure you understand the key concepts prior to doing that.

Good luck.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
The most important thing anyone going into first year of university could do is to find a good group of like minded friends in the first few weeks before everyone settles in their cliques.

This isn't just for you to have 'friends' who are there to support you but also because doing university by yourself is fairly tough no matter what degree and having a solid group of mates when assignments/exams are coming up just makes it better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)