How to UNI prep (1 Viewer)

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
Question is the title itself. I'm just curious as to how one can prepare themselves for uni, like I understand it's going to be difficult to adjust and get a set schedule going but what can a 1st year do to 'adapt' (if thats even the right word to use) to uni and be somewhat prepared as well as to what they can expect. tbh idek where the question is going, borderline how can someone be ready when shit hits the fan

pls share experience and/or tip(s)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Sure. I do think in your first semester- you should be adjusting to university and what that means. If that means you take it easy a bit, then that's okay.

So I'll try to list some suggestions.

Look at the unit guide (if it's out yet) and know what is expected of you and the outcomes of the unit. That defuses the stress that there isn't any nasty surprises in the unit. Read the unit guide! Don't wait until its discussed in class. You may have questions.

Depending on your major / degree, a lot of reading may be required of you. Instead of trying to do all the reading at once, just say to yourself 'I will read a chapter of the textbook the day before the class talks about it'. This avoids you feeling overwhelmed or burnt out.

Participate! When you put up your hand in class, share your ideas, ask questions, etc. It's not about appearing the smartest- but an engaged student will not only ace their participation marks, but will start class discussions and get further information from the tutors.

Prepare yourself. If you are holding off buying the textbook until you are sure you want to do that unit, at least ensure you have access to an online version. Do any readings before the class begins. This will give you motivation and something to talk about in class.

Writing essays? Start thinking about them the moment you get the question. Trust your intellect. Over time, more ideas will start to formulate and they will become deeper and more complex. You'll have more to say.

For practicals / exams- you can always 'stimulate' the situation. Of course, a chemistry major at home wouldn't have access to tubes but you can time yourself an activity in the kitchen that requires low material. Practice will improve your exam and practical technique. There's an awful lot of stress attached to 'performance' (exams / practicals / presentations). So yeah, practice! You'll gain confidence.

Why would shit hit the fan? Write down a list of possible 'worse scenarios', and write what you will do when it happens. Think right now what you'd do if you left an essay to the last minute (because stuff like that does happen. Even to the most prepared). Write a solution. Keep the piece of paper with you, and when shit does hit the fan, you can look at that list again and you have an idea on what to do.

How long does it take for you to get to university? Some people can travel well over 2 hours. That means you have less energy, and need resting time. That can impact on your ability to do tasks. You can't stop how long it takes you to get there, but know that in advance. You may struggle with motivation, wanting to go home early, etc. So find some tactics to give you reason to stay and do homework.

When I get a shitty timetable, I use a skill called 'radical acceptance'. I can't change the timetable, but I'm going to make my experience worthwhile. I will refuse to let it tear me down. In fact, that's a good mindset for anything uni related: you'll have to accept a bad mark here and there. Instead of curling up and hating yourself more, do something about it. Improve. Ask for help. Make your time between lectures worthwhile.

As for clubs and societies... although I'm second year, I kind of spent my first year just studying. So I can't really give you any tips on 'adapting' to university activities. Being friendly can go a long way.

Good luck with your first year! I hope my tips helped. If more comes to mind, I'll post them. :)

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Learn the appropriate citation methods for respective subject (check with unit convenor/lecturers)
http://www.citethisforme.com/ is a good tool to use
2. For essays/reports etc use peer-reviewed journals/sources
3. Have a big calendar on the wall when everything is due so you can visually "see" and use it too plan time for each assignments.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
1. Learn the appropriate citation methods for respective subject (check with unit convenor/lecturers)
http://www.citethisforme.com/ is a good tool to use
2. For essays/reports etc use peer-reviewed journals/sources
3. Have a big calendar on the wall when everything is due so you can visually "see" and use it too plan time for each assignments.
This is Probably the best advice was gonna say the same thing

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
Sure. I do think in your first semester- you should be adjusting to university and what that means. If that means you take it easy a bit, then that's okay.

So I'll try to list some suggestions.

Look at the unit guide (if it's out yet) and know what is expected of you and the outcomes of the unit. That defuses the stress that there isn't any nasty surprises in the unit. Read the unit guide! Don't wait until its discussed in class. You may have questions.

Depending on your major / degree, a lot of reading may be required of you. Instead of trying to do all the reading at once, just say to yourself 'I will read a chapter of the textbook the day before the class talks about it'. This avoids you feeling overwhelmed or burnt out.

Participate! When you put up your hand in class, share your ideas, ask questions, etc. It's not about appearing the smartest- but an engaged student will not only ace their participation marks, but will start class discussions and get further information from the tutors.

Prepare yourself. If you are holding off buying the textbook until you are sure you want to do that unit, at least ensure you have access to an online version. Do any readings before the class begins. This will give you motivation and something to talk about in class.

Writing essays? Start thinking about them the moment you get the question. Trust your intellect. Over time, more ideas will start to formulate and they will become deeper and more complex. You'll have more to say.

For practicals / exams- you can always 'stimulate' the situation. Of course, a chemistry major at home wouldn't have access to tubes but you can time yourself an activity in the kitchen that requires low material. Practice will improve your exam and practical technique. There's an awful lot of stress attached to 'performance' (exams / practicals / presentations). So yeah, practice! You'll gain confidence.

Why would shit hit the fan? Write down a list of possible 'worse scenarios', and write what you will do when it happens. Think right now what you'd do if you left an essay to the last minute (because stuff like that does happen. Even to the most prepared). Write a solution. Keep the piece of paper with you, and when shit does hit the fan, you can look at that list again and you have an idea on what to do.

How long does it take for you to get to university? Some people can travel well over 2 hours. That means you have less energy, and need resting time. That can impact on your ability to do tasks. You can't stop how long it takes you to get there, but know that in advance. You may struggle with motivation, wanting to go home early, etc. So find some tactics to give you reason to stay and do homework.

When I get a shitty timetable, I use a skill called 'radical acceptance'. I can't change the timetable, but I'm going to make my experience worthwhile. I will refuse to let it tear me down. In fact, that's a good mindset for anything uni related: you'll have to accept a bad mark here and there. Instead of curling up and hating yourself more, do something about it. Improve. Ask for help. Make your time between lectures worthwhile.

As for clubs and societies... although I'm second year, I kind of spent my first year just studying. So I can't really give you any tips on 'adapting' to university activities. Being friendly can go a long way.

Good luck with your first year! I hope my tips helped. If more comes to mind, I'll post them. :)
Aye man thanks heaps, advice is helpful particularly with essays (i was an ill prepared student last year so yeh) Thought I'd ask bcos I thought HSC was gonna be a breeze which turned out to be not so much of a breeze. It takes me around 30-45 mins via bus but 10-15 via car (cant drive yet), but again thanks for sharing, I'll keep everything in mind

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
You're welcome!

I second having the right citations and referencing right- depending on your course, there may be a week devoted to writing essays. And lots of people experience a 'uni shock' which will test your endurance. But it's possible to strive through.

30-45 minutes is alright, in my opinion. It takes me an hour to get to Macquarie University (where I go to uni) on a bad day. Being on time is always a good habit.

I think you've got a good attitude, and that will take you far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)