Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LightOfTheSeven

Thread: Journalism

Cadet
    HSC

Journalism

Hey, does anyone do journalism at Uni? What’s it like and what are the career prospects after graduation?
    Any reply would be appreciated, even if you know someone who does it, thank you!!!!

HSC

Re: Journalism

With Journalism, the general consensus amongst students is that a) experience is key b) core media units are always a drag and can be difficult to enjoy.

I don't like endlessly praising or dismissing a career choice, but with journalism, like alot of media industries its very 'who you know'. Establishing contacts via internships (which are going to be unpaid) is something you'll have to do. There are alot of demands the media industry places on graduates- must keep up with trends and savvy with social media.

Journalism graduates can be expressive, passionate writers. I suggest if you do journalism you combine it with something- because gaining expertise in an area, having ideas on what to write about is a great start to your career and will keep your options open. Journalism is very vocational- there's the possibility you'll spend $30,000 and 3 years of your life and hate the industry. If you can transfer the skills with another- you have more options.

Journalism + Linguistics = editor
    Journalism + Social Sciences= content writer
    Journalism + History / Arts / Philosophy = archiving and librarianship
    Journalism + Design = web designer
    Journalism + Science / Health = technical writer / science journalist

I used to want to be a journalist, but it wasn't the path for me. It could be the path for you- but there are many ways of getting to a destination. Alot of journalists do have degrees, but not in journalism. Do more research on the industry, and you'll find what you like and don't like about it. Good luck.
    studygirl118 likes this.
    “In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you've planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne. It's a lesson that Cersei Lannister still has yet to learn.”

B.Arts (English & Modern History) ~ Macquarie University (2017-2019)

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Journalism

Thank you so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information