Journalism

studygirl118

HSC
Hey, does anyone do journalism at Uni? What’s it like and what are the career prospects after graduation?
Any reply would be appreciated, even if you know someone who does it, thank you!!!!

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
With Journalism, the general consensus amongst students is that a) experience is key b) core media units are always a drag and can be difficult to enjoy.

I don't like endlessly praising or dismissing a career choice, but with journalism, like alot of media industries its very 'who you know'. Establishing contacts via internships (which are going to be unpaid) is something you'll have to do. There are alot of demands the media industry places on graduates- must keep up with trends and savvy with social media.

Journalism graduates can be expressive, passionate writers. I suggest if you do journalism you combine it with something- because gaining expertise in an area, having ideas on what to write about is a great start to your career and will keep your options open. Journalism is very vocational- there's the possibility you'll spend $30,000 and 3 years of your life and hate the industry. If you can transfer the skills with another- you have more options.

Journalism + Linguistics = editor
Journalism + Social Sciences= content writer
Journalism + History / Arts / Philosophy = archiving and librarianship
Journalism + Design = web designer
Journalism + Science / Health = technical writer / science journalist

I used to want to be a journalist, but it wasn't the path for me. It could be the path for you- but there are many ways of getting to a destination. Alot of journalists do have degrees, but not in journalism. Do more research on the industry, and you'll find what you like and don't like about it. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)