"CU" Credit Unit Grade?!?! (1 Viewer)

Hey,

I just transfered degrees from doing arts/commerce to straight commerce and I was allowed a transfer and filled in all the paper work and stuff ... BUT I just checked my unofficial academic record and for all my semester one units it's written "CU" in the grade column yet my actual grades were 1Hd and 3D's ... I got my initial grades before I was allowed the transfer but after it was all confirmed all my grades changed to CU's ...

Does this mean that I get credits for all those units?

It's kind of weird because it was an internal transfer and 2 of the units I did were commerce units and 2 were arts units and the commerce department allows students to do units out side of the faculty of commerce even if they aren't doing a double degree...

BTW: I go to UWA (uni of Western Australia).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm its best you ask your Faculty about it - I have little idea what CU is.
I transferred degrees from Economics to Commerce, and my academic transcript remains as B.Economics for 2003, then it shifts to B.Commerce in 2004...my subjects from 2003 were given a standing of "T" which i assume means transferred

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, CU does not seem to be an award grade in use at UWA (I've been looking through your grading arcana recenetly for my Med application). It is most likely an indication of award credit transferred from a different course program (ie BCommBA). Ask your faculty for confirmation, but I can tell you know that your grades haven't changed - just the way they're reported.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well when I transferred, I have both my old record and my new record (which gets a bit messy). Any subjects that are the same in my new course got transferred over directly and I still have my grades recorded under my new course. My transcript will therefore most likely show all my subjects from both my old course and new course. Any subjects that I got exempted for (which was 6 of them) I just have a "Pass By Transfer" which isn't a grade and just means I've been credited for them and they don't count towards my average.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Maybe it means the Credits have been Usurped by the new degree :p

cayte

It will just mean that those subjects still form a part of your degree, ie they are 'credited' to your degree. However I'm unsure as to how (and whether) your marks will actually be recorded in this case.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ok this is where it gets technical. When you transfer from one course to another, you are actually withdrawing from one ("quitting" it, say) and commencing ("starting") another. So, from the administrative viewpoint, you are entering a new course just like any other student - with no previous study.

However, we all know that more often than not people will have some relevant subjects under their belt for which they would like recognition. Because you're starting a new degree, you are initially required to take all the subjects (some of which you may have already completed). When you have acceptably passed subjects equivalent to ones you're required to take in the new course then the university may grant an exemption - That is, your requirement to take these subjects similar to already completed ones is waived. They don't take your old marks, they just say you've passed (which is why transferred credit is not included in GPA, WAM, TPS etc calculation).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
That is so unfair. In my opinion, if they are the same subjects and were done at the same University then marks should stand:(.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Merethrond said:
That is so unfair. In my opinion, if they are the same subjects and were done at the same University then marks should stand:(.
I think Lexi was talking about subjects taken at another university creditied to your course at a new uni.

Since I transferred within UNSW, my subjects AND my grades/marks were transferred across to my new degree, my old subjects were still used for WAM/GPA calculations

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Minai said:
I think Lexi was talking about subjects taken at another university creditied to your course at a new uni.

Since I transferred within UNSW, my subjects AND my grades/marks were transferred across to my new degree, my old subjects were still used for WAM/GPA calculations
Ah, cool. Thanks:).

Zafar azam

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, firstly i thank u in advance for ur inputs.

I am enrolling to a new university with some exemptions from my past degree, so

1. the new university wont count my grades( C/D/HD) obtained from my old Uni?

2. How about the GPA, is it the exempted subjs will be( or not) counted as pass (50%) subject?

3. For instance if i failed exempted subject at first try and got a HD at second go , does it get counted (or any possiblity) towards my new course.

Really appreciate ur times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)