Am I too old for uni? (1 Viewer)

Sambam429

HSC
So I’ve been working in hospitality ever since leaving school but am looking into going to uni next year. I’ll be 23 at the start and a few people don’t think it’s a good idea as I’ll be like 26 or 27 when I finish and they believe that’s quite old and I should already have my life done.

What are everyone’s thoughts?

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
So I’ve been working in hospitality ever since leaving school but am looking into going to uni next year. I’ll be 23 at the start and a few people don’t think it’s a good idea as I’ll be like 26 or 27 when I finish and they believe that’s quite old and I should already have my life done.

I dont think it matters

You get people of all ages in uni, e.g. 3rd year uni students doing first year courses

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I was 22 when I started my course at Macquarie. You are fine.

University opens up many doors of opportunities. The idea people have to be a certain age to attend uni is just false.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Never too old imo.

When I did my B.Sc (Nanotechnology) there was a guy who must have been early-mid 30's doing the same course full time. Also the odd subject that I did with people who were 35+, including one subject I did with 2 people who each already had a PhD and must have been in their 40s (totes beat them in the exams #notbragging)

When I did my MBA a few years back, I had some people in their 40s.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

I don't think you are too old for university.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
if you're going to uni for the right reason(to learn something, get a direction on career) you'll be fine.

You're not that much older anyways so it makes no difference

enoilgam

HSC
if you're going to uni for the right reason(to learn something, get a direction on career) you'll be fine.
I cant emphasize this enough. Make sure you arent just going to uni for the sake of getting a degree - it has to make sense from a career standpoint.

Elixir

HSC
Definitely not too old for uni if you have an idea of where you want it to take you.

Hope it all works out :)

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
No. I know extremely successful people that have went to University in their 30s or 40s. I personally don't expect to graduate until my mid-late 20's as well.

Degree takes a back seat to industry reputation and experience.

Also, not many 26-27 year old's have their life anywhere near to "done".

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Every class I've ever done has multiple people in their late 20s, plus there's always a few in their 30s-50s.

My uni clique is me, one other early 20s, and two people in their 30s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)