Can law be boring (1 Viewer)

Eingestellt

HSC
Hi there, people here who do law or have done it- Can it be a rather dry and boring degree ?

sida1049

HSC
According what I hear from friends who do law, yes.

I mean honestly, people do law for the career prospects, while students who study a Science, Arts or even an Engineering degree will often do it because they want to actually study the things offered (in addition to whatever career prospects they also anticipate).

Nonetheless, if the prospect of spending 4+ years studying law when you could spend them studying something you may enjoy more sounds awful to you, then maybe pursuing law isn't the best idea.

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
I think 'dry' would describe many individuals experience with law. Sure, you get people passionate about international law, criminology and that's fantastic but it won't necessarily translate into being energetic about torts or contracts. Some of the stuff will conjure your heart, and some will bore you to tears. You could argue all degrees are like that, but law costs alot- in money, and in time.

Those who are hesitant about law really shouldn't make a random impulsive decision to do it. Value your time and money! Think before you sign up. Many universities offer quasi-legal subjects run by the law faculty, so perhaps doing one of those, talking to more students, industry partners, doing research is the way to go.

I'm not a fan of law becoming a 'generalist' degree. Because it's not- it's (partial) legal training. Sure, it has its use in policy but that's only to an extent.

So is it worth it? I don't know. It wouldn't be worth it for me personally because I have no interest in being a lawyer. Do you? Law students have to justify the time, energy and money they spend. If you can't do that, you may not be on the right track.

Eingestellt

HSC
So genrally it can be quiet boring and is not worth Its not worth doing it if your not motivated

sida1049

HSC
So genrally it can be quiet boring and is not worth Its not worth doing it if your not motivated
Unless if you're really sure you understand and want to get into the legal profession, you should probably stay clear of law. It's a huge commitment, and a great deal of students will drop law after 1-2 years, not because it's necessarily difficult, but rather that it's not what they had anticipated.

mrstripedshades

HSC
Any subject can be enjoyable or any can be unenjoyable. Really it varies from person to person.

You could always try to do Law combined with something and do like one or two law units and if you dont like it drop it after first sem, hardly wasting any time. That being said, I would only do law for the career prospects personally. It doesn't really interest me to even work in law, but rather how it augments commerce/similar degrees (my one is commerce/finance).

One thing you have to keep in mind is, Law is a very competitive and popular degree, and hence so are the career prospects. Largely due to its current accessibility (through transfer programs & etc), as well as it being one of the more traditionally prestigious careers.

Most comm/law students I know prefer law and would rather work in law.

Most people I know found accounting boring, but I actually dont mind it and kinda enjoy it (dont wanna speak too soon) etc.

General opinion doesnt always hold true for individuals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)