TAFE vs Uni learning style? (1 Viewer)

Hixd2s

HSC
N/A
Hey,

So, I am currently doing a Bachelor of IT, but I hate the way it is set out. It is very fast paced learning, blink, and you'll miss a chapter. I have 5 'checkpoints' due each week for 1 topic, plus weekly mandatory drill exercises (same topic), plus I have other 'checkpoints' in 2 of my other topics at University due each week (Plus, we have major assignments due in a month roughly). And this is just week 2. Uni seems extremely fast paced, with not much guidance at all (yes, you can ask for more, but it is still very limited). At University, I'm mainly struggling with the fact that there is like so much going on all at once, it is near impossible to keep up with all the topic, just as I think I understand one, I fall behind with another.

I was looking at some TAFE courses, and was wondering what they are like? Is TAFE this fast paced? Is there boatloads of homework to do? I'm really good at writing essays, and don't struggle to much with exams or tests or anything like that, my biggest pitfall would probably be homework, if there is boatloads, I'm screwed and will fall behind. I mean, I can write a very good assignment, if I have a week or two notice, no sweat (English has been my strongest subject by far, good grades on assignments/essays etc). The time I struggle is when there is like 18 things due. I start to lose track of everything and then freak out.

With TAFE, is it 1 thing due per week, 5 things? Is it anywhere near as full on as Uni? I know you're there 9-5 which is cool, no problems for me.

tl;dr Is TAFE faster or slower paced learning, is there more or less homework at TAFE than Uni?

Hixd2s

HSC
N/A
tafe is way easier lmao

the qualifications are necessarily set to a lower standard

https://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf-qualifications

TAFEs cant administer qualifications higher than level 5 or level 6, and are usually level 4, which you should find pretty easy even if you struggle with bachelor level stuff
I don't suppose you know much about the CISCO courses and if they're worth more/less than a diploma? They just say they have "Entry,Associate, Profession, Architect, etc"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications.html

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Yeah I don't think uni is for you, it's only going to get harder

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
As you are interested in TAFE, perhaps that's a good direction to go into. There courses do have high face-to-face teaching, but its intensity may be lower.

Are you doing a full-time load at uni? Because if you ever decide to go to university later on life, you can always start with just fewer subjects. It's your choice.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
TAFE is slower paced and the content is delivered in a way that is easier to understand. TAFE also requires less attendance depending on the course that you're taking. Having done both those are the 2 key differences.

I did a stint in the IT industry and while you can succeed without a bachelor, it gives you more leverage if you have one. Many people in Networking seemed to have both the CISCO certification & a bachelor degree.

If you're really struggling to the point where you're considering dropping out, drop 1-2 subjects before the census date. It won't reflect on your academic transcript & there's no shame in taking a semester or two to adjust into the University lifestyle. Most Universities offer summer courses that you can use to catch up in later years anyway.

As for tacking the work itself, make use of the student assistance programs your university has on offer and make some friends that can keep you accountable & give you support if ever in a tight spot. Never look at the "Big Picture" and take things one and a time, it's too common to see kids freaking out over nothing.

If you do decide to drop out of University, make sure you enter into the TAFE course on that same month. If not you may have a tough time in the job interview room explaining why you sat at home for however many months.

Hixd2s

HSC
N/A
If you're really struggling to the point where you're considering dropping out, drop 1-2 subjects before the census date. It won't reflect on your academic transcript & there's no shame in taking a semester or two to adjust into the University lifestyle. Most Universities offer summer courses that you can use to catch up in later years anyway.
Don't they only offer summer topics for certain topics? Ideally I'd like to do 3 topics per semester and pick up 2 over summer, but my friends have said you can only do 1 over summer and there are only certain courses that have summer topics.

Also, can you clear something up for me. Right now, I have to submit roughly 1 assignment every 3 weeks starting right about now. What are second year topics like? Are there lots of little assignments like this, or are there more large exams? I hate having to do 30 assignments per semester. I'd much rather just write a 5000 word report weighted at ~60% or do an exam weighted at ~60%. Constantly doing little assignments like this sucks I think.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)