Discriminatory Uni Law School/Law in General (1 Viewer)

realednyg

HSC
N/A
Hi, just trying to help out anyone contemplating which Uni/degree to do. After finishing a law degree at my university, killing myself to do it, law is difficult as anything, I got told by pretty high up people from there, "you probably don't get a job because you look different then everyone else." Really? REALLY?? WTF is that, Ive also been told, "law firms dont choose caucasian males anymore, they are more conservative." WTDF is that?

Law..............

Wasnt one of the major unis in sydney, but still. Thats pretty bad.

realednyg

HSC
N/A
if you got no connections, and noone in the fam who does law then its a waste of time really

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Who told you that because of your appearance, you didn't get a job? I'm quite curious because law firms hire plenty of caucasian males. In terms of 'diverse' workforces, law will be amongst the last to catch up (unless of course, they see a benefit from it).

If an employer told you that, just stay away from that firm / business.

realednyg

HSC
N/A
Not quite the Dean but pretty high up the food chain from the Uni

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Prob just Some salty guy who thought being a white male would give him a job and got triggered when he saw all those immigrants being offered positions

realednyg

HSC
N/A
Ha no! Im just trying to get people thinking about this sort of thing, because law is discriminatory. "Oh you have someone you help care for", who cares if you want work go to the country. Im just saying dont end up working "work experience" and get nowhere as part of the PLT. Dont let uni heads and vice heads take your hecs dollars and then say that to you. Etc,

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Oh, they are from the university. I don't want to be -that person- who shits on academia, but chances are that person has a narrow viewpoint and has had limited experience in current changes in legal environments.

You may have grounds to complain. University staff shouldn't be that unprofessional, especially around students who are about to start their careers. And they certainly shouldn't make their personal problems the students problem as well.

I know this is going to be cliche advice, but I think you ought to ignore what was said to you.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
C'mon man, you just spent thousands of dollars on an analytical degree, you should know better than to take what someone says at face value. Also, the statement "law firms dont choose caucasian males anymore, they are more conservative" isn't even correct, given the fact that conservative generally means doing what's been done previously which in this case would mean hiring Caucasian males (the opposite would be progressive).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)