Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 12345idk
  • 3 Post By Queenroot
  • 1 Post By mcchicken
  • 2 Post By ichila101

Thread: How Internal Transfer Work ??

HSC

Question How Internal Transfer Work ??

Hi i just want to ask how internal transfer work? I'm currently in year 12 now.
    I really want to do Optometry at unsw, however, i dont think it's possible since i've heard that the atar requirement is 99 for next year.
    As a back up plan, I'm considering doing Bachelor of Sci, then move to Bachelor of Vis Sci then start Bachelor of Vis sci/Optom

I'm just looking through it, does that mean that i have to repeat all the units i've studied for 1-3 years on each of it? so does that mean that it will probably take me 3 years + 3 Yrs before starting Bachelor of Vis Sci/ Optometry.

I'm sorry i don't know how it works and i'm really confuse. I really appreciate the responses. Thank you.
    Last edited by 12345idk; 22 Apr 2018 at 6:40 AM.
    jasonhughes likes this.

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Re: How Internal Transfer Work ??

No you will get credit for your vision science courses

HSC

Generally you get credit if the units are the same or very similar to what you've already done
    12345idk likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

No, you will spend one year in your bachelor of science and then once you transfer to bachelor of vision science that one year of bachelor of science will count towards the bachelor of vision science degree (Note: this is assuming you chose the right subjects and set vision science as your major in the bachelor of science degree) so once you start the bachelor of vision science degree you will be in its second year. Then there is no need but if you want to you can transfer to the vision science/optometry. The reason why there is no need is because you can just do a masters of optometry which will take the same amount of time as the combined degree (i.e. 5 yrs).

So summary:
    1 year B. of science = 1 year of B. of vision science
    Another 2 years of B. of vision science to complete the degree
    Another 2 years of M. of optometry
    Total 5 yrs
    jasonhughes and 12345idk like this.
    MX1/2U - ADV. ENGLISH - BIOLOGY - CHEMISTRY - BUSINESS STUDIES 2017
    No

HSC

Smile Re: How Internal Transfer Work ??

Oh that's great then. That's really helpful. But i just have a few more questions...

1. What is the difference between staying on bs vision sci and moving to bs vision sci/ master of optom? will i have any disadvantages?
    2. How hard would internal transfer be like? Because im kinda worried since i do general maths and only biology as a science subject on yr 12?
    3. (continued on question 2) Will doing bridging courses on physics, chemistry and maths be enough cause I've saw some threads wherein they say that it's not that helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 12345idk; 6 Jul 2018 at 10:54 AM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by 12345idk View Post
    1. What is the difference between staying on bs vision sci and moving to bs vision sci/ master of optom? will i have any disadvantages?
    doing combined program allows you to practice optometry (be an Optometrist) upon graduation, whereas with single vision sci course you cannot. So much more competitive getting into combined because you're pretty much guaranteed entry into the masters, whereas with single vision sci, you would need to apply separately for masters and will need an extremely competitive average to get in.

2. How hard would internal transfer be like? Because im kinda worried since i do general maths and only biology as a science subject on yr 12?
    it would be pretty hard to transfer to the combined tbh, you'll need an average mark at uni that is equivalent to the 98/99 atar cut off shown which is usually a D/HD average

3. (continued on question 2) Will doing bridging courses on physics, chemistry and maths be enough cause I've saw some threads wherein they say that it's not that helpful.
    depends on the person, i know people who say they're glad they did the bridging courses, and some that have aced chem/bio in uni without doing bridging or in school. You should probably go for bridging since theres a few subs you dont have assumed knowledge for and are worried. You would just need to slightly work harder than the rest that have the knowledge but its still easily doable. Talking from my experience.
    2017 HSC
    2018 Science (Neuro) at University of Sydney

Thread Information