Need Advice - UTS for Software Engineering? (1 Viewer)

wild_howl

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am in quite a difficult situation. So, I finished my bachelors in Civil Engineering from UNSW last year (Nov 2017). During industrial training in last year of study, I realized that I was not enjoying the work. So, I decided to change the stream and apply for a second bachelors degree in software engineering. I wanted to do software initially but due to some reason, I didn't enroll in the degree.

After studying for 4 years at UNSW I am saturated with it and tired of the everyday travel as well (especially Central to campus and back) . With the light rail construction, traveling is worse than before.

So I lodged the application with UTS as my first preference, UNSW as second followed by USYD.

Yesterday, I was looking for software engineering reviews at UTS on whirlpool forums and here on Reddit as well. I came across so many posts and comments indicating that education quality of UTS is poor and sub-par compared to UNSW. A lot of posts are old though and I don't know the current situation.

I know UNSW is one of the best universities in Australia, especially in computer science. I have received an offer from UTS (in this round) and I believe I would get one from UNSW and USYD as well in next rounds.

I have a few doubts in my mind:

1) Is it worth going to UTS for software engineering? especially if you can get into UNSW or USYD as well?

2) is UTS education really sub-par compared to UNSW or USYD?

3) does 'university' have an effect on job opportunities?

4) Also, what are your views on the diploma of professional practice? The 1 year internship thingy.

I really want to study at UTS this time as it is closer to home and part-time work. Also, because of I am saturated with UNSW. But all these posts are driving me crazy.

Tl;dr – finished civil engineering UNSW in Nov 2017. Didn't like the work during my industrial training. Applied to bachelors in software engineering. Preferences – 1. UTS 2. UNSW 3. USYD. Received offer from UTS. Found that UTs education is poor and sub-par. Most probably will get an offer from UNSW as well. Confused. what to do.

Thanks in advance;

W_H

FrequentBF4

HSC
N/A
Avoid UTS for software, I am currently doing it...If your ok with being spoonfed then its for you. I am planning to go to UNSW for software.

captainneuro

HSC
I would say stick to unsw for engo. If you're really that sick of it, then usyd.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
USYD is close to UTS as well, legit 5 extra minutes so it's a good commute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)