Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pikachu975
  • 1 Post By BLIT2014

Thread: Why is MAQ given so much shit

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    2

    Why is MAQ given so much shit

    I recieved a GLEP offer for comm/law at MAQ
    Been doing some 'research' (so procrastinating on BOS)
    There are comments like jobs being non-existent for MAQ students, students wanting to transfer from MAQ to UNSW or USYD (especially for comm/law i've noticed)
    It's treated like the senior science of unis i swear
    May i ask why?
    I mean i get that it's cutoff is lower and it gives out a lot of early offers but is something i should be really worried about?
    The teaching, social environment,employ ability, support services, food .etc

  2. #2
    I love trials pikachu975's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    2,403
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjia View Post
    I recieved a GLEP offer for comm/law at MAQ
    Been doing some 'research' (so procrastinating on BOS)
    There are comments like jobs being non-existent for MAQ students, students wanting to transfer from MAQ to UNSW or USYD (especially for comm/law i've noticed)
    It's treated like the senior science of unis i swear
    May i ask why?
    I mean i get that it's cutoff is lower and it gives out a lot of early offers but is something i should be really worried about?
    The teaching, social environment,employ ability, support services, food .etc
    To be honest uni doesn't matter if you're a good candidate you'll get a job. That said, I've found MQ quite nice - I've met good people and friends ans everyone's supportive. I think there's a lot of societies to join with many events, the teaching has been fine so far, and there's many support services and opportunities including PACE (work experience kinda) and first step mentoring.
    mrstripedshades and ninjia like this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

    2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  3. #3
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    10,434
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Macquarie's pretty good with food access as its close to Macquarie shops. Most (of thehe tutors/lecturers that I have come across) are really supportive and I feel like that has differed from some of my friends at other universities. The station is closing for about 9 months so that is another factor you'll need to consider getting to Uni if you choose to go to Macquarie.
    ninjia likes this.
    l’appel du vide


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  4. #4
    (╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Sydney Girls
    Posts
    6,668
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Employability
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm



  5. #5
    xD Esse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sanctuary Hotel
    Posts
    262
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    It's just a meme dw

  6. #6
    Junior Member Snowflek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    208
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    ^ It's just a meme. If youre a good candidate then you'll score a job lol dw

  7. #7
    Beast Zoinked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Quote Originally Posted by ninjia View Post
    I recieved a GLEP offer for comm/law at MAQ
    Been doing some 'research' (so procrastinating on BOS)
    There are comments like jobs being non-existent for MAQ students, students wanting to transfer from MAQ to UNSW or USYD (especially for comm/law i've noticed)
    It's treated like the senior science of unis i swear
    May i ask why?
    I mean i get that it's cutoff is lower and it gives out a lot of early offers but is something i should be really worried about?
    The teaching, social environment,employ ability, support services, food .etc
    *anecdotal evidence* I've been to lots of assessment centres, interviews etc and they have never really cared that I go to macquarie instead of say unsw. However, you will find that lots of people interviewing with me at said places are from unsw/usyd. This is mostly because these people are really competitive and apply to lots of things and are otherwise well-rounded individuals. You can be a good fit for a job/be a well-rounded individual at any uni.

    2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) @ Mq Uni

  8. #8
    The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    In my head
    Posts
    10,434
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoinked View Post
    *anecdotal evidence* I've been to lots of assessment centres, interviews etc and they have never really cared that I go to macquarie instead of say unsw. However, you will find that lots of people interviewing with me at said places are from unsw/usyd. This is mostly because these people are really competitive and apply to lots of things and are otherwise well-rounded individuals. You can be a good fit for a job/be a well-rounded individual at any uni.
    I feel like a lot of Macquarie students don't think to apply or realise that they should/can apply for assessment centres for vacationer positions etc.
    l’appel du vide


    Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

  9. #9
    Beast Zoinked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    522
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: Why is MAQ given so much shit

    Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    I feel like a lot of Macquarie students don't think to apply or realise that they should/can apply for assessment centres for vacationer positions etc.
    Yea i'm one of the only ones of my mates who is actively trying and applying to heaps of things sigh. Because it takes less effort during hsc to get into Macquarie Commerce, the cohort is generally a lot lazier I have found.

    2016 ATAR: >90
    2017-2020: Bachelor of Applied Finance/Bachelor of Commerce (Professional Accounting) @ Mq Uni

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •