has anyone gotten into courses with atar a below the cutoff? (1 Viewer)

Sombreteen

HSC
Today it dawned on me that I might not get into the course at the uni I want. I was quite relaxed all year because I thought I’d get an atar if 88 to get into my course with ease but after I botched my trials my estimated atar has fallen to around 85.55 (using matrix) ... now I’m pretty scared. I want to get into a bachelor of science (international) at UNSW and I’m quite sure I’ll get a minimum of band 5s in chem and bio and 4 I mathematics. I’m pretty sure that will add up to 5 extra points which will get me above the atar cutoff for guaranteed entry.. but what if I botch my hsc?! I’m worried that my atar will be a couple points below the cutoff and I’ll have to do the course at a different uni. I know that that’s not the end of the world but I like the Kensington campus because of the atmosphere and the food and I’m also considering living on the campus because my mum wants to travel after I finish school and wants to pay for my accommodation near the campus.. so going to my preferred uni is really important to me.

What I’m getting to is.. I heard that unis usually accept a lot of people who don’t meet the atar cutoffs (I’m not sure if this is true with UNSW as well) and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone here. If so, how many atar points were you below the mark? Should I be worried? I’m really scared.

Oh and also.. I go to a school in the bottom 500+ and scaling won’t help me. My cohorts pretty bad. As in I’m coming first in literally every subject so I guess it won’t affect me but I’m definitely not gonna be saved and my exam’s were probably relatively easy compared to other schools and I still didn’t do as well as I expected to.

Please can someone tell me honestly if I have a chance of getting in if my atar ends up below the cutoff. Obviously I’m going to work really hard to improve my marks but I’m still really worried. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I know people who have gotten in with ATAR below the cutoffs. Additionally, you could always do an internal transfer through arts or something which will likely have a lower cutoff. HSC exam also counts for 50% of your overall mark, so you still have time to make improvements.

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Yes, you can still get into that degree. You might be able to get some bonus points too.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I got into USYD Commerce (95 minimum) and UTS BIT Co-op (Typically 95 minimum) with 90.95.

It’s definitely possible. Put your hat in the ring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)