Psych Hon at MQ vs PsychSc at UNSW? HELP??? PLEASE READ ITS URGENT (1 Viewer)

Blue Toaster

HSC
You can skip to the last paragraph for my question. The first few are just context.

I got offers to Psych Hon at MQ and Psych Science at UNSW. I'm aware MQ is good for Psych but idk anything about their other faculties' canditure (lots of cross faculty electives in first year) whilst I've heard from current UNSW students all the faculties are good.
I also prefer UNSW for travel time, friends going there (I have anxiety so I'd prefer to know ppl going into uni), extra curriculars, and beach > shopping any day for me.
I know the WAM required for both honours programs (75 at 300 level) but am curious if UNSW has a cap on honours students. Tbh I'm also worried what my family will think of me taking the Psych Science course when I got into Hons.

Could anyone with any experience of each course please tell me what it's like? Including lecturers/tutors, what the BIO and Language department is like and if it's worth doing a four year stream if I'm not too keen on the uni?
Thanks greatly.

mdb1800

HSC
Quite simply go to UNSW. It is much easier to achieve at uni when you're having fun and you know you made the right choice.

You didn't really get into honours, you got into a course that indicates you probably have the potential to get into honours. No one really knows the difference, and they certainly aren't gonna give a shit if they do know how psychology study works.

Macquarie has a good course, with some great lecturers, but also some really bad ones. Its not as rigorous nor academic as Sydney and UNSW, and has a more practical focus.

HSC
hi, not sure if it's too late for me to answer your question, but i thought it'd maybe help whoever else finds this thread in the future anyway :)

i'm currently about to start my honours year in psych at unsw, i was part of the b psych (hons) program, although there is NO difference at all between psych (hons) and psych science apart from
1. 1 extra compulsory subject you complete with psych (hons), although a lot of it is really quite basic stuff. some stuff about careers etc
2. with psych science you technically have to enrol in the honours year, which from my understanding is just slightly more paperwork. no difference in entry scores.

for honours with unsw the 75 is not based on level 3 psych units but all compulsory psych units weighted EQUALLY, so that means psych 1A which you do in your very first trimester is weighted equally to your third year stats unit. there is no cap, if u have the 75 you are definitely in, although i have heard that they try to control number of students through the third year subject marks, because it is marked quite harshly. every year it seems like there are about 65-70 students in honours, so it's pretty consistent.

i love unsw, and it has a huge focus on animal studies (rats, mice) if you really like the more neuroscience side of things. from my understanding we do not have as much of a focus on clinical psychology compared to other units - we don't have a third year elective unit for clinical psych, although i am not familiar with how it is like at other universities. we also have a huge focus on stats, compulsory units in second and third year, plus an elective you can take in third year too. i enjoy stats so i took the elective subject (comes in helpful for honours too, when you analyse your own data). the student life is really amazing too.

don't know much about bio, but i took a few language subjects as free electives, hard at times but enjoyed it, although this will also be dependent on what language you're learning, of course.

feel free to pm me (applies to anyone else who comes across this post too), more than happy to answer any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)