If you completed a B. Adv Science, what more do you need to do to be an Engineer (1 Viewer)

zheng1

HSC
Hi everyone

If I completed a bachelor of Advanced Science, what would I have to do to be registered as an engineer.

Do I have to do a bachelor of engineering or a master of engineering or a graduate certificate in engineering? I am very confused.

Thanks!

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't you just instead do a bachelor engineering instead of doing the advanced science if you wanted to be an engineer (cause I'm doing advanced science and have friends doing bachelor of engineering and the subjects are so different that I don't think you can just apply that other degree to what you do in the other degree). Pretty sure for masters you have to do the base degree first since its called postgrad

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah exactly just do an engineering degree. Engineering is an application of science, the two are different

zheng1

HSC
Ok, thanks for the help. The only reason I considered advanced science is because it is more interesting for me and therefore more confident with my GPA. I am not to sure what I want to do after since there are not a lot of jobs for b. science graduates, but I am considering engineering as my backup option. My goal is to be a uni lecturer (phd), and then medicine might be an option - leaving it option for postgrad along with engineering.

So are you saying that I have to complete a bachelors degree?

zheng1

HSC
And since both of you are studying advanced science, what do you plan to do in the future?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I would say to be an engineer you have to do that degree cause they do subjects specific to what they are going to apply. Only real way I could see maybe a crossover with advanced science is if you did physics major but even then thats stretching it, since I'm doing like these physics subjects at the moment and some of the subjects we do are things like classical mechanics and special relativity (can't really do anything with this since all of the stuff that uses this technology probably already has made use of it), quantum mechanics (once again really abstract stuff that doesn't have much of an application as of yet), thermodynamics subject which yeah is more theory based, rather how in engineering they do actual subjects on things in the real world. Maybe you should consider doing a double degree with advanced science and engineering if you wish to pursue both

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, maybe you should just look into what subjects are needed as a first year student for each of the majors you might plan on doing in advanced science and the engineering, because I know that many of the subjects for engineering and advanced science students (doing things like chemistry or physics) often crossover, as some of them have to do both of the first year physics subjects (knew some electrical engineering people in my classes for first year physics) and chemistry had people doing chemical engineering. So you could just keep ur options open like that too, and then make a choice later in the year if you want to continue the degree

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
And since both of you are studying advanced science, what do you plan to do in the future?
I'm currently doing major in chemistry and minor in physics, might have made a mistake in my major since I'm doing better in physics by a bit (High HDs) but maybe just cause it favoured me in the first year since its more maths oriented compared to chem as of yet but might change later on as I still enjoy the chem and am doing pretty well in it too (got mid HDs). Later on plan to do a PhD in chemistry not sure what area but maybe something that can semi link with physics since we do a lot of quantum mechanics stuff in chemistry and then work in a uni maybe as a lecturer eventually but also I would like to at least experience doing research

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Yeah nah you're gonna need a master of engineering at the very least if you want to be an engineer. The master of engineering is typically for people who did not do engineering for undergrad, and it basically condenses the standard 4 years bachelor program into 2 years by removing the non-essential subjects. It's extremely unlikely that you'll get a job as an engineer if you don't have a degree in engineering - science and engineering are 2 very different degrees.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I'm starting it next year. Hopefully if all goes well a PhD in physics and full time research :)

But I still have years to go

Last edited:

zheng1

HSC
Ok thank you everyone for your help.

I just wanted to know, if you want to progress from a science degree to a phd, would you need to have completed honours beforehand? For example, UNSW has B. Adv Science (Honours) whilst USYD has B. Adv Science/ B Adv Studies (which just means you do an extra major for four yours). So what are your thoughts about it. Would it also be worthwhile to study a course at a lower ranked uni or is reputation important in this scenario. :)

blyatman

HSC
N/A

I just wanted to know, if you want to progress from a science degree to a phd, would you need to have completed honours beforehand? For example, UNSW has B. Adv Science (Honours) whilst USYD has B. Adv Science/ B Adv Studies (which just means you do an extra major for four yours). So what are your thoughts about it. Would it also be worthwhile to study a course at a lower ranked uni or is reputation important in this scenario. :)
Typically yes, unless you have prior research experience and/or connections with professors who could take you on. E.g. I did my honours in engineering, but with a topic and professor from the physics department. As my PhD was a continuation from my honours work with the same professor, I was accepted into the physics PhD program.

In regards to the uni rank, the quality of your research and your advisor/supervisor is typically more important than where you went. However, generally speaking, going to a good uni usually helps, since the best professors are usually found at the better institutions.

D94

HSC
N/A

At UNSW, yes, the great majority of students will have completed Honours as that is a key indicator for your higher research capabilities. What is probably more important than the university reputation is your area of research and your supervisor. Think end game. If you want to primarily teach, it probably doesn't matter too much (except if you want to teach at a specific university). If you want to primarily research, then finding an authority in their field is extremely important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)