UNSW - WAM for double degrees...? (1 Viewer)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys I'm doing advanced science/comp sci with a major in Physics for adv sci.
I'm just wondering for my final wam will it be seperate WAM's for each side of my degree or will I just get a combined WAM?

Only reason I'm asking is because I'm MUCH more inclined into the Physics part of my degree and the only reason I took computer science with it is because everyone said just a physics degree was useless, so I needed a backup and Comp sci was the only other thing I liked

Basically I don't want a poorer performance in comp sci to ruin my academic transcript for Physics, not that I'm going to fail or anything but I'm not as invested into Comp sci as I am for physics.

Especially if I look to apply for a uni overseas as a postgrad, I don't want them to be deterred by a WAM dragged down by comp sci when I just want to do physics

Also does WAM get printed on your academic transcript?

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
A combined WAM is always reported. And yes, your WAM is on your transcript.

But usually, for entry into physics honours for example, they only look at your performance in senior physics units.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
A combined WAM is always reported. And yes, your WAM is on your transcript.

But usually, for entry into physics honours for example, they only look at your performance in senior physics units.
Dammit that's going to screw me over if I apply overseas for postgrad Physics because they'll only see a combined WAM.

Hypothetically half way through my degree would I be able to drop my double degree into just adv sci?

sida1049

HSC
Dammit that's going to screw me over if I apply overseas for postgrad Physics because they'll only see a combined WAM.

Hypothetically half way through my degree would I be able to drop my double degree into just adv sci?
Yeah, that should work.

When you apply for postgrad anywhere, they won't just look at a number; they'll see the marks of all the courses in your degree, and relevant previous work, for example, your honours thesis. So don't worry too much about your WAM. Just put in the work and it'll work out.

D94

HSC
N/A
Hi guys I'm doing advanced science/comp sci with a major in Physics for adv sci.
I'm just wondering for my final wam will it be seperate WAM's for each side of my degree or will I just get a combined WAM?
The WAM that is calculated is irrespective of your degree(s). It's simply the weighted average of all your course marks. Therefore you will only see one total WAM wherever it's reported.

Also does WAM get printed on your academic transcript?
Your WAM is printed on a downloadable transcript, however, it is not printed on your official transcript that you will receive at graduation. It is of course more likely that you will apply for postgraduate study whilst you're still undertaking your undergraduate, so the transcript that you will use will have your total WAM. But if you do apply for postgraduate study after you have graduated, then you can simply photocopy your official transcript which won't have your WAM printed.

D94

HSC
N/A

If you drop, your WAM at the time you were doing Adv Sci / CS will still be shown wherever reported. A new line item will show your updated WAM after you have transferred to Adv Sci. Any CS courses will still show and still be calculated in your WAM.

zheng1

HSC
I think you should just go ahead with what you enjoy (Adv Science) so that you get a good WAM and once you complete it, you have the flexibility to study any other courses. You may take up CS electives and see if you like it.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you should just go ahead with what you enjoy (Adv Science) so that you get a good WAM and once you complete it, you have the flexibility to study any other courses. You may take up CS electives and see if you like it.
I know I really wanted to and I would've, but everyone scared me out of it by saying stuff like I won't be employable and it won't get me anywhere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)