Thread: Which Psychology course??

HSC

Question Which Psychology course??

Hi everyone!!! So I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I'm currently enrolled in B of Psychological Science (majoring in Neuroscience) at UNSW but I received an offer for B of Psychology (Honours) at Macquarie Uni. My biggest deal breaker is that apparently MQ is better for Psychology in general (employability) and especially since it has a 3rd year work placement program. UNSW doesn't do work placement which is why I'm lowkey considering MQ because I know how important and valuable work experience is for future prospects (or perhaps not, people just tell me that work placement is very helpful).

Basically with UNSW (Psych Sci):
    - 88 atar
    - get to explicitly major in neuroscience (sample program was provided so doing my timetable was not difficult)
    - all my close friends are there
    - travel time is about 1hr 15 mins
    - no work placement program

MQ (Psych (Hons):
    - 94 ATAR
    - not exactly sure how units work (because I didn't actually consider MQ) and not sure if I am able to pick units and courses relevant to clinical neuropsychology (neuroscience)
    - none of my close friends are going MQ (still have a couple of friends tho)
    - travel time is about 2 hours (:/)
    - 3rd year work placement program

Sorry to bother anyone, just want advice as to which degree I should undertake, thank you so much if you take the time to actually read this long post!!!!
    I spend too much time on this website

HSC 2018!!

English Advanced (86) Genny Maths (75 lol) Biology (78 lolx2) Legal Studies (85 ;/) Modern History (89 <-<) Economics (83) History Extension (47)

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Which Psychology course??

"My biggest deal breaker is that apparently MQ is better for Psychology in general (employability)"

As this could be true, try researching its employability rate and its job prospects in comparison to UNSW's course. It seems that you are only considering MQ only for one factor, being its 3rd year work placement program.

I advise that you should read into:

1. What the work placement program offers and how it differentiates from any other graduate in the competitive job market
    2. If the course has relevant units to clinical neuropsychology [or mainly just getting an understanding of how MQ units work]. Then compare with UNSW's course.

It is best to research as much as possible to get a deeper insight and judge the two courses by comparing the course itself and their outcomes.

I hope my post has helped. Good luck to you in all your endeavours!
    Preliminary HSC [2019]

English Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Economics | Business Studies | Legal Studies

Thread Information