philosophy (1 Viewer)

what is your opinion on a philosophy major?

• bleergh!!! philosophy?!?! get away!!!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • mmm...philosophy

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • what is philosophy?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • i think...therefore I am going to do philosophy

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

pri

HSC
N/A
what do u ppl think of philosophy as a major? Im guessing ppl cant possibly make money in life with it unless they are the re-incarnation of Kant or Descarte and therefore can excel at philosophy.

what do u ppl think?

timmii

sporadic attendee
If its something you enjoy...do it! You can always become an academic, or if you do a double major or a double degree, you can rely on the other major/degree for your income!

je pense donc je suis... :D

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Um, no one does philosophy to get a job do they? lol
I just read it because i think its fascinating. Im doing Arts or Liberal Studies next year, so ill have plenty of room for it. As far as majors go, how specific can the major be? Like, do you just major in "Philosophy" or can i major in something a little specific, such as "Medical Ethics/Bioethics"? (Pet favourite of mine)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
"Its getting pretty bleak down here at the Unemplyment office. Not only is it just a place for philosophy majors, useful people are starting to feel the pinch!"

- Kent Brockman, The Simpsons

timmii

sporadic attendee
Lol! Nice use of appropriate quote there utopian!

I suppose we could get all philosophical about the bad state of the world and humanity, where society has such low regard for the ancient, and what should be highly esteemed study of philosophy....we automatically throw them in the dole queue.

On another note....i love how prince william is studying art history. He genuinely does not need to study anything useful or career-minded, does he? So he doesn't!

And another note.....CNNNN had a brilliant thing about Harry. He has devoted himself to follow in his mother's footsteps "I won't do any work either". (or something to that effect, i"m notorious for stuffing up funny quotes".

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by timmii

I suppose we could get all philosophical about the bad state of the world and humanity, where society has such low regard for the ancient, and what should be highly esteemed study of philosophy....we automatically throw them in the dole queue.

Yeh, its quite depressing isnt it. Just look at the madman we have in America and think how much he could benefit by having a little peek into the history books. When i did a bit of uni stuff earlier this year, my lecturer was a doctor of philosophy and he was only 28 and a full time academic, so....i spose you can get a job with philosophy

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by timmii
On another note....i love how prince william is studying art history. He genuinely does not need to study anything useful or career-minded, does he? So he doesn't!
Now thats the life, im telling you! Im not sure if id want to be heir to the throne thugh, too much publicity. Id want to be an Earl, the next rank below the royals. You still get a castle, money, lands, servants etc but no one int he public eye knows ya, so its mad.

I hope im not heading for the unemployment office lol, i was readin one of Platos dialogues last night, not a good sign

timmii

sporadic attendee
Lol....don't worry too much about it yet utopian...Its when u start quoting it at us that the mental asylum number leaps onto the speed-dial.

I also note the humility in our prospective philosophy professor.....u couldn't resist quoting twice my appreciative "Lol! Nice use of appropriate quote there utopian!" (and there i've gone and praised you for apparently now....the *fourth* time).

I think i would like to be a princess though. Maybe not of england, perhaps somewhere more exotic, like Spain? Monaco was always my best bet but that family's looking a little screwed up atm, the son (who's 1 yr younger than me :( ) is quite hot tho!
I think "earl" is such an ugly sounding title. Baron or Marques is so much more romantic...work towards that!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It would be extremely interesting - but there are very few positions available in the field.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
philosophy is fun ... and it can make your head hurt ...:)

but most philosophy imo is theory ... when it comes down to it, real life is often different ... and sometime things cant be applied ...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
"What can you do with a philosophy major?"

Bruce Lee: "Think deep thoughts about being unemployed."

it'd be fun, very interesting
but ultimatley (and unfortunatley) there is better weaponary if you're looking to earn money in the world

Amuka

I think another point not brought up yet is that in philosophy people do not do the course for status or wealth but rather a love of the subject matter leading to a high standard and thus high expected standard.

Amuka

Originally posted by utopian731

Just look at the madman we have in America and think how much he could benefit by having a little peek into the history books.
Ok gotta bite, where, exactly, does it in history say that letting your sworn enemy grow extremely powerful is a good idea?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by MoonlightSonata
but ultimatley (and unfortunatley) there is better weaponary if you're looking to earn money in the world
Welll, duh....:)

Amuka:

Ok gotta bite, where, exactly, does it in history say that letting your sworn enemy grow extremely powerful is a good idea?
Um, i think weve had this thread before, eh...once is enough

To everyone else, see "Do you think schoolies will be bombed?"

Flyin':

but most philosophy imo is theory ... when it comes down to it, real life is often different ... and sometime things cant be applied ...
'Tis true, but sometimes the applications aren't that obvious, even though theyre there. I think this is where modern philosophy differs from philosophy in the ancient world, where philosophy was actually a practical not theoretical study and thought of as a way to live one's life and to aspire to

pri

HSC
N/A
could religion and philosophy go hand in hand do ya reckon? I mean religious texts when properly interpreted are as complex as philosophical theories

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Up until recent centuries philosophy was thought of as simply a branch of theology. Some of the *great* philosophers were Christian, such as Descartes, Aquinas.....

Thesedays, however, secular philosophy is dominant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)