Usyd january 2nd day for high achievers (1 Viewer)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Did anyone get an invitation to go? Im confused because I was told by the headmaster of st. andrews college that only people who got 99.5 or over got invited but I only got 98.5 :confused:

kini mini

HSC
I got invited, 99.85 here. I think they might take marks into account as well as UAI, don't really know tho.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
I got invited, 99.85 here. I think they might take marks into account as well as UAI, don't really know tho.
what marks would they take into account? wouldn't it just be your UAI?

alys

i got invited to that, and i got a letter from unsw too (oh how exciting, although neither of them will give me money, which is what i really need). maybe the guy at andrews got it wrong? the one from unsw said top 1000 students down the bottom, i don't know if it's a similar criteria that usyd uses. shrug.

(my uai 99.6)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

what marks would they take into account? wouldn't it just be your UAI?
If they did use marks they might say something like (for a law course) "invite everyone who got band 6 in 2U & 3U regardless of whether they bombed something else and didn't get that good a UAI"

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by alys
i got invited to that, and i got a letter from unsw too (oh how exciting, although neither of them will give me money, which is what i really need). maybe the guy at andrews got it wrong? the one from unsw said top 1000 students down the bottom, i don't know if it's a similar criteria that usyd uses. shrug.

(my uai 99.6)
Yeah the guy at andrews must have gotten it wrong. And it's not as if I did brilliantly in all my subjects only got 6 units over 90 and over, the other 4 units were 2 marks off 90.

I'm pretty sure it's based on your UAI though, otherwise there would be too many people there if u go by ppl who got into the top bands for subjects.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
This is freaky, i came into this roooom just to ask the same question as this thread. I got 98.95 and i still got a letter....itll be good to be able to have conversations with lecturers, deans etc

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731
This is freaky, i came into this roooom just to ask the same question as this thread. I got 98.95 and i still got a letter....itll be good to be able to have conversations with lecturers, deans etc
Yeah atleast you will beat the rush before the infoo day. I think I will go to it.

Ozz^E

Originally posted by alys

(my uai 99.6)
Whats the one at UNSW...i got 99.75 but only got an invitation to the one at USYD..whens the on at UNSW on?

Jason

Just _what_ is the one at Sydney Uni about? I'm travelling 5 hours to get there, so it better be good! (Was actually planning on going to the open day, but I thought this might be better?) PS - my UAI was 98.5 too, so maybe he meant "98.5 and over" not 99.5 - and I didn't get an invite to the UNSW one, so maybe it's only if it's your first preference

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Jason
Just _what_ is the one at Sydney Uni about? I'm travelling 5 hours to get there, so it better be good! (Was actually planning on going to the open day, but I thought this might be better?) PS - my UAI was 98.5 too, so maybe he meant "98.5 and over" not 99.5 - and I didn't get an invite to the UNSW one, so maybe it's only if it's your first preference
Yeah it must have been. I think it will be better than the open day simply because there will be less ppl there.

schwang_thang

Yeah it must have been. I think it will be better than the open day simply because there will be less ppl there.
omgosh the place will be full of brains :eek:

i only got 97.5 but my friend got 99.6 so hes goin 2 the usyd one, n asked me 2 come so ill b like, the dumbass amongst the crowd hehe...im just hangin out 2 watch 'the hot chick' afterwards :D

Ozz^E

Okayyy...Ill repeat myself: Does anyone know anything bout the UNSW one...for high achievers..any details??

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, could someone answer Ozze's question, because I'm curious too!

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Ozz^E
Okayyy...Ill repeat myself: Does anyone know anything bout the UNSW one...for high achievers..any details??
The person kindly opening my mail back in Sydney says I got invited, probably because it's my first pref. I suppose it'll be the usual thing in the roundhouse with faculty reps? I remember my dad had to be the faculty rep for a couple of years when I was in pri sch.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Ozz^E
I got a letter from UNSW congratulating me for my result. It invited me to the open day on the 3rd. I don't know if there's anything on on the 2nd there...maybe this letter is the one alys was talking about. On the bottom of the letter it said "letter to top 1000 students.doc", so I think it was UAI-based.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Did anyone get an invitation to go? Im confused because I was told by the headmaster of st. andrews college that only people who got 99.5 or over got invited but I only got 98.5 :confused:
OK - from a TSP brochure:

To be considered for the program in their first year, students should normally have a UAI (or equivalent) over 98.7 and a mark over 90 in at least one science subject area and/or over 95 in Mathematics Extension 1; or demonstrate exceptional performance in scientific study (eg. olympiad level).

kini mini

HSC
Re: Re: Usyd january 2nd day for high achievers

Originally posted by Weisy

OK - from a TSP brochure:

To be considered for the program in their first year, students should normally have a UAI (or equivalent) over 98.7 and a mark over 90 in at least one science subject area and/or over 95 in Mathematics Extension 1; or demonstrate exceptional performance in scientific study (eg. olympiad level).
They'd be lucky to get the olympiad ppl, they all get offered scholarships by the big American colleges if they do well!

TSP is an opportunity to swap class time for more research I think :cool:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I was in the physics TSP this year oh hmm that really should be 'last year' now... yeah, anyway, personally I think it's really overrated. :p

There were two olympiad guys in there... and maybe 20 doing it total.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)