I sold out. (1 Viewer)

SkAnDi

HSC
Hrm, i think i sold out.

I don't know if i regret it or not.

What you would do, take the safe option, or put it all on the line and maybe miss out on everything?

I keep feeling like this decision is going to affect me for the rest of my life.. but really it's not, only the first year :D

SkAnDi

HSC
Hrm, yeah my first post is pretty vague.

I was tossing up between hoping that i'd get into comm/law with 99.35... ie putting it all on the line, because if i missed out on it.. i'd been left doing something like comm/arts :(

My other choice was to take a scholarship, and do B Comm, and if i didn't like it, i could transfer end of 1st year.

Perhaps i'm a little defeatist in attitude taking the safest bet, but i'm not really that much of a gambler :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SkAnDi

I was tossing up between hoping that i'd get into comm/law with 99.35... ie putting it all on the line, because if i missed out on it.. i'd been left doing something like comm/arts :(

My other choice was to take a scholarship, and do B Comm, and if i didn't like it, i could transfer end of 1st year.

Perhaps i'm a little defeatist in attitude taking the safest bet, but i'm not really that much of a gambler :)
99.35 seems enough for one of the 'big' unis (either nsw or usyd) ... all on the line!

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by SkAnDi

with that kind of uai, you could still make b comm in the second round, and with the scholarship I dont think you need to reject it straight away, so just hold onto it just in case.

SkAnDi

HSC
That's what i wanted to do... but they said that you needed to have B Com as main round choice to to accept the scholarship.

If not... i'll still have a chance at it.. but be on the waiting list.

I'll be kicking myself if the cut-off's for law don't go up.

yer

In the end do what u want, forget the scholarship, i got a nice schloarship at maq but thats not going to influence my choice, 10 yrs from now ull regret not doing what u want just for about 10-15 grand

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Same, I got offered a scholarship to do one course but now Ive changed my mind and Im going to do the one I want. If you get into law you wont have to wait long b4 youve payed off hecs :D

dissonance

it seems to me that law is overrated anyways. Unless you have a serious passion for it *I* wouldn't recommend it. Contray to popular belief most lawyers are far from rich unless they become a senior parter of a major law firm. From what I've heard from my father who works at a major bank the lawyers that work there are far from respected, givin a whole heap of incredibly dull work to do and hounded each time any small error is made.

Think about it --- theres one guy standing out the front making a nice dramatic speech in court and make heaps money while theres a whole team of *lawyers* behind him who just research.

I wouldn't say law is bad -- it just may not be quite the glam profession its made out to be....

----> keep in mind this is coming from someone with a UAI too low to get into any decent law course anyway ;)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by dissonance
it seems to me that law is overrated anyways. Unless you have a serious passion for it *I* wouldn't recommend it. Contray to popular belief most lawyers are far from rich unless they become a senior parter of a major law firm. From what I've heard from my father who works at a major bank the lawyers that work there are far from respected, givin a whole heap of incredibly dull work to do and hounded each time any small error is made.

Think about it --- theres one guy standing out the front making a nice dramatic speech in court and make heaps money while theres a whole team of *lawyers* behind him who just research.

I wouldn't say law is bad -- it just may not be quite the glam profession its made out to be....

I could not agree more...I have no idea why law is so popular, I can think of very few jobs worse. :confused:
SOOO much work and stress...yeah, there can be a lot of money in it, but only if you land a good job, which I'd imagine would be tough in such a competitive occupation.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
okay now Ive gotten confused.

with your preferences, if you dont get into the first one you listed, does that mean you have to wait until the second round for an offer?

or in the first do they just keep going down your list until you get into something?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
as far as I have been told every preference gets treated equally. Just because you put something second, third, fourth so on doesn't mean you will be considered after everyone else who put it first. If you don't get your first pref they go to your second in an identical procedure. The only way you wouldn't get offered something in first round is if your UAI was too low for all of the courses you chose

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731
Apparently graduate law is a far more enjoyable and interesting course than combined law, or so im told
Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that people in graduate law actually want to be there...as opposed to HSC students who do law because they got the marks. It may also have something to do with maturity.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
I agree, I trhink it has everything to do with maturity. I have about 20 friends who got over 99 and a large proportion of them wish to get into combined law at one of the big unis, almost as if they *have* to becuase they have the marks. This was one (not the one and only mind you) of the reasons that the criteria for undergrad medicine were changed, ie most unis only offering it as postgrad and UNSW dropping the UAI from 99.75 to 95.0. People would get 100.00 and think "i need to do med or i will be wasting my mark".

I rekon all unis will only offer Medicine and Law as p'grad courses in a few years

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
on the topic of double degrees, is it better to combine Law with something? What is wrong with just straight out law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)