2. 99.3
3. 93.0

(I know there are more)

... and the UAIs required for the other guys' preferences went:

1. 93.0
2. 91.9
3. 86.8

(etcetera).

The course requiring 93.0 was the same course for both of them.

Say both students got a UAI of 93.5. Who would be first into the course that required 93? Would it be the guy who had it as his third preference or the guy who had it as his first preference? Would it make a difference if one student got 94 and the other 93.5, for example? Hopefully you get what I'm asking. I guess this wouldn't really be an issue usually, they'd let both in anyway and raise the required UAI another 0.05 which would be of no consequence to them, but could it ever happen?

Cheers. :)

Last edited:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
Okay I'm doing year 12 this year. :)

Say both students got a UAI of 93.5. Who would be first into the course that required 93? Would it be the guy who had it as his third preference or the guy who had it as his first preference? Would it make a difference if one student got 94 and the other 93.5, for example? Hopefully you get what I'm asking. I guess this wouldn't really be an issue usually, they'd let both in anyway and raise the required UAI another 0.05 which would be of no consequence to them, but could it ever happen?

from what i remember, the order in which you put your preferences has no effect on who gets an offer first. If you don't get your first and second preference it goes to your third preference which in essence becomes your new first preference so to speak.

It doesn't matter who gets an offer first but rather the fact that u get an offer.

timmii

sporadic attendee
If both got 99.35, both would be in, as the cut-off is by definition the UAI of the last person to get into the course.

Pedantics aside, preferences have no bearing on course entrance. If you get the uai, and havent been accepted into any of your higher prefs, then you are in. (i think)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes thats why preference order DOES matter - u only get one offer for which ur highest preference makes the cutoff

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Twintip
Okay I'm doing year 12 this year. :)

Say you had 2 people. The UAIs required for one guys' preferences went:

1. 99.6
2. 99.3
3. 93.0

(I know there are more)

... and the UAIs required for the other guys' preferences went:

1. 93.0
2. 91.9
3. 86.8

(etcetera).

The course requiring 93.0 was the same course for both of them.

i rekon the 2nd student wud get in. this is how the uai cut-off stuff operates : first, they take all the students who get a 100 uai n give em their first preferences, then the 99.95 n so on. if a student got below a cut-off, they then move on to that student's 2nd preference.
in ur case, both of them got 93.5. in this case, they take all those students who got 93.5 and give them their first pref and set aside those students who dint get the first pref. in other words, the second student gets in immediately wheras the first student is set aside. after all those students who got their 1st pref have been alloted, they go back to those students who were set aside and try give them their 2nd pref. so, the first student (of ur Q) will be set aside twice before being offered a course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)