vote john brogden! (1 Viewer)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by doinglawinsyd
whos going to go to the dance parties at uni?
how about the joing of the plethora of clubs?
oh i jsut can't wait for the exitement of 0-week, hey gerling are playing so it should be fun!!!

I haven't heard of a club i want to joing yet, mayby commerce society or maybe not, i dunno. I ahven't seen the full list yet!!!

B

Bambul

Well that's convinced me. I'll be voting for the UNSW graduate, not one from USyd!

Actually, Bob Carr came to UNSW last year to give a one hour talk to the uni students. I went along, he made sure to point out that he really liked UNSW (no doubt something to do with him going to UNSW. :D

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
*suddenly realises that I have to vote for the state elections on march 22*

Yeah I'll vote for brogden, because he's a USyd graduate :p

I didn't know there were dance parties in O-week,I didn't think it was that much of a party :)

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate
*suddenly realises that I have to vote for the state elections on march 22*

Yeah I'll vote for brogden, because he's a USyd graduate :p

I didn't know there were dance parties in O-week,I didn't think it was that much of a party :)
That's a good reason to vote for Brogden!!! I think i'ss stick to Carr, but you know the state of the railsystem and growing gun culture has made me think more

:confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
That's coz Usyd dont have dance parties - go UNSW! lol

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
'Become s defensive'
No, No, No, we do have dance parties!!!! Dj's are planned and bands and very wild nites!!!:D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
its a matter of the lesser of two evils ... any macq graduates going for a seat ... :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by doinglawinsyd
whos going to go to the dance parties at uni?
how about the joing of the plethora of clubs?
I didnt know there were any, but if there are (and i have friends to accompany me...) i'll be there.

As for the clubs. Being the overenthusiastic undergrad that I am, i have already pinpointed 10 i want to join, 2 sports, the tutoring programme and the union. Yuh huh. And the double degree and a job or 2. Maybe there wont be time for forums???

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Re: Re: vote john brogden!

Originally posted by timmii

I didnt know there were any, but if there are (and i have friends to accompany me...) i'll be there.

As for the clubs. Being the overenthusiastic undergrad that I am, i have already pinpointed 10 i want to join, 2 sports, the tutoring programme and the union. Yuh huh. And the double degree and a job or 2. Maybe there wont be time for forums???
is there a tutoring program? btw how did u find out baout all the USyd clubs and sports etc?

timmii

sporadic attendee
Re: Re: Re: vote john brogden!

is there a tutoring program? btw how did u find out baout all the USyd clubs and sports etc?
Well I absconded from a "careers market" at macq in May, with a copy of the Beige Pages, which details the clubs/societies on campus. It can be found on the union website as well. Just a quick summary of the clubs. They dont have the newly created ones tho :(

The schools tutoring programme is also organised by the union - u help (for free, kinda like these boards) kids from high schools in the surrounding areas.

As for the sports, go to the university sports union website also on the web. I know some have already started training (i went to a couple of handball practices last week), so if u r interested, check it out soon...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
There is also the careers day workshops and markets, where you volunteer to act as a PR for Usyd at schools and at various careers markets. I think it's good experience for customer service jobs, as you liase with prosepective students, answering questions etc.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I will think a lot less of you if you vote for Brogden. Open your eyes, he's a joke, a seat warmer. Bob Carr all the way, the only man capable of running this state at the moment.

kini mini

HSC
[x-posted to the USyd o-week thread]

Speaking of O-week, I think you should all join the USyd fencing club ;). USyd runs excellent lessons As far as I can see, and the club has plenty of equipment you can borrow. I've spoken to the club president Brendan and the secretary Harriet and they are very friendly people :). So go over to the The Arena (formerly known as the Women's Sports Centre) and register!

http://www.suwsa.usyd.edu.au/sports/clubs/Fencing/Classes.htm

for details :).

For UNSW people, I was unimpressed by the standard of their lessons when my cousin had them a couple of years ago. UTS fencing club's lessons are terrific and it's in the Sydney Boys' gym :). Ask me if you want details, I'm a member of the UTS club already.

Now, getting back to the topic. I am not especially fond of Bob Carr, I think he's made plenty of serious mistakes. For us, the new HSC is the most important. However, opposition leaders must prove they can do a better job, and Brogden has not done this IMO.

doinglawinsyd

im going to vote for brogs for sure
he has realy impressed me with his new initiatives and election promises
ie more guards on the trains and platforms
which is good for my area (a noted troublespot)

so i dont havr the risk of being jumped at night yay!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Brodgen has promised much, but how will he pay for it? By selling off government entities?

Carr has done well. But then again, that's not hard when you're against the NSW Liberals. Our only problem is letting in the Greens. While some ideas may make sense, they seem to have no real grasp of what is needed to run an effective state (but don't hold me to that, as I'm basing it on the Greens in general). Also, religious groups have no place in our government, especially when it's a secular state (as Carr stated in the recent past, but at the time of the last election). We don't need such groups when they will be sure to argue against Carr's stance for embryonic stem cell research, which is needed, as without research there can be no final decision on the matter.

There was nothing wrong with the New HSC. The only problem was in changing the reported marks from bell curved ranks/marks to raw marks. But then again, other people may not agree.

B

Bambul

Generator: that banana of yours is getting funnier and funnier the more I look at it! :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
Hehe

It's great to see it when it pops up with my post into the middle of a serious debate... It would be good if it was annoying a few people. ;)

Porphyria_J

Originally posted by Generator
Our only problem is letting in the Greens. While some ideas may make sense, they seem to have no real grasp of what is needed to run an effective state (but don't hold me to that, as I'm basing it on the Greens in general). Also, religious groups have no place in our government, especially when it's a secular state (as Carr stated in the recent past, but at the time of the last election). We don't need such groups when they will be sure to argue against Carr's stance for embryonic stem cell research, which is needed, as without research there can be no final decision on the matter.

1) The greens is not a problem from my point of view. My problem with state and fed politics is that ANY party that is not in power DO NOT show any REAL LEADERSHIP whatsoever in terms of what their party supposedly stands for, and do not show a clear view of what their political party agenda is! Every bloody political party just says 'no' to what the one in power proposes. Espeacilly the greens ( and the DLP under Natasha D)- thats their major problem for me. They are what i call the "protestors"

And i think any small party like the greens doesnt have what is requires to run an affective state...its not their agenda anyway.

2) what is wrong with religious groups voicing their opinions? and most people have a religion in all areas of politics and govt. Its unavoidable that religious views 'turn up' in govt debate - conciously or subconsciously. From what you wrote above it sounded like you believe the greens is some sort of religious group which they are not. I agree that it is vital that government be kept secular as not to have an unfair religious bias towards an issue when the real issue is the people. But what you said makes it seem like religious views should not be taken into consideration at all. Its unfair for people not to consider someone elses ethics and morals. Why else is our country a democracy? Its their RIGHT. And goodness, the very issue of stem cell research is an ETHICAL issue which means that there will be always two sides to the debate - like abortion. Debates from my POV is healthy and is the perfect manifestation of what a free country allows. And religious groups have played a vital role in many social justice issues in politics like in aboriginal land and voting rights.

So if you want the religious groups out...why not take out the trade union members in the labour party or women out of politics? Its due to the same principle you are suggesting.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
No, I agree, religion has no place in politics, this is a multicultural society with a variety of different religions (and some with no religion) and it is very wrong for someone's religious beliefs to be pushed on another, and that is exactly what would happen if religious groups were to be running the state (why else would they be a party under their religion?)
Its not the same as saying women should not be in parliament and whatever, its a different principle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)