NSW
Macquarie
UTS

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW, and Im trying not be biased here
I think because of the flexibility, and the widest choice of majors (thats why I chose it)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Sydney or UNSW. Sydney is just as good as UNSW (except it doesn't offer act. studies, or international business) and has an equal reputation nationally and internationally as UNSW.

I reckon sydney is more flexible than UNSW, because at UNSW u are "locked into" your degree program and it is harder to change.

Also Sydney has a better environment in which to work in.

In the end it's not really what uni u go to, but how well u perform.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i reckon that because the majority of people are going to usyd or unsw the results will be base alot on people's unis ...

anyway: unsw, usyd, macq ...

chait

ultimate, not making a direct point... interpret it how you want to :) just sharing an experience..

i'm at the ANU and I was speaking to a guy who graduated from the ANU a year or two ago. He was in his penultimate year of a PASS degree in economics and he went to the usyd summer school to do some extra credits. The only courses which usyd could offer him (which were up to the ANU's standards) were their 4th year honours courses. Naturally usyd was quite embarrassed about this and tried to fudge the whole thing.

I doubt it's an isolated case...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by chait
ultimate, not making a direct point... interpret it how you want to :) just sharing an experience..

i'm at the ANU and I was speaking to a guy who graduated from the ANU a year or two ago. He was in his penultimate year of a PASS degree in economics and he went to the usyd summer school to do some extra credits. The only courses which usyd could offer him (which were up to the ANU's standards) were their 4th year honours courses. Naturally usyd was quite embarrassed about this and tried to fudge the whole thing.

I doubt it's an isolated case...
I think u mentioned that in another thread, I think that everyone seems to focus too much on which uni is better than another for a course when really it comes down to how well u perform in your respective degree.

I could easily have gone to UNSW to do the course I am now doing at USyd - due to the fact that my sources told me that UNSW and Usyd have equal reptutations course wise for what I am studying, and from there, for me it came down to atmosphere and accomm which was easier to find at Usyd than UNSW.

I'm sure ANU is a great uni (since it is part of the group of 8) and I'm not doubting that, but I mean really if an employer was to choose between a UNSW, Usyd, or ANU graduate (eg commerce), they wouldn't pick one over the other simply based on uni. Other factors such as personality come into it and that's what differentiates such graduates from prestigious universities. Or if the employer is from a particular uni they may be biased.

chait

Originally posted by Ultimate

I think u mentioned that in another thread, I think that everyone seems to focus too much on which uni is better than another for a course when really it comes down to how well u perform in your respective degree.

I could easily have gone to UNSW to do the course I am now doing at USyd - due to the fact that my sources told me that UNSW and Usyd have equal reptutations course wise for what I am studying, and from there, for me it came down to atmosphere and accomm which was easier to find at Usyd than UNSW.

I'm sure ANU is a great uni (since it is part of the group of 8) and I'm not doubting that, but I mean really if an employer was to choose between a UNSW, Usyd, or ANU graduate (eg commerce), they wouldn't pick one over the other simply based on uni. Other factors such as personality come into it and that's what differentiates such graduates from prestigious universities. Or if the employer is from a particular uni they may be biased.
was just sharing an experience of mine. i thought what the guy said was quite interesting- and others might too. if i had known this earlier, i would have made up my mind sooner! yes, factors such as personality, participation in extra-curricular activities etc are v. important. they're probably as important as grades. some employers will hire people who have lower grades (not substantially lower tho!) and have participated extensively in uni life over those with superb grades and little or no participation.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ultimate
I reckon sydney is more flexible than UNSW, because at UNSW u are "locked into" your degree program and it is harder to change.

In the end it's not really what uni u go to, but how well u perform.
just to point out that u can change ur majors wenever u like at UNSW

but ur last sentence is true.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by chait

some employers will hire people who have lower grades (not substantially lower tho!) and have participated extensively in uni life over those with superb grades and little or no participation.
It's not my problem, but I wonder about this all the same. Given that new recruits are worked off their butts, why pick people who aren't used to a life of all work and little play? :p.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
i think unsw is better for economics. it has a strong reputation for commerce and economics. also i hear macquarie is also quite good for economics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)