Girl/guy courses! (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'm doing speech pathology at UNI...I turned up yesterday and discovered that out of the 80 people doing my course, only 6 are male!:eek:
I don't get that at all...I guess it sounds like something more girls than guys would chose, but I would never had guesed it would be that drastic! I've spoken to 2 of the males doing the course, and they all said they were shocked when they turned up...they had no idea!

Do you think speech pathology is a "girlie" subject? And what are the male/female ratios in your course?

kini mini

HSC
I'm doing commerce/law at UNSW and I haven't really noticed a split yet. In the commerce lectures there are too many people to count, but I didn't get the impression there were more girls or guys. In law I think there were slightly more girls than guys in my class (just over 40 in total) but I have no idea about how things are in the faculty.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
in my "introduction to english, text and writing" lecture there were 200+ people and probably 30% were guys....in my tutorial for the same subject there were 5 guys and just under 20 girls....most of the girls said they wanted to become primary school teachers...

mannnnndy

chocoholic
chem eng is about 25% girls, but I havent spoken to one guy doing biomed eng yet. Does anyone think biomed eng is 'girly'?:confused:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
chem eng is about 25% girls, but I havent spoken to one guy doing biomed eng yet. Does anyone think biomed eng is 'girly'?:confused:
A guy I know is doing biomed eng @ UNSW so that's at least one :p

I don't really know what biomed eng is so I couldn't say ;).

timmii

sporadic attendee
I too have a male friend doing biomed at unsw. Are you doing the masters course as well? :)

As for girl/guy courses:

Arts and psych - mainly girls
engineering - mainly guys
actuarials - mainly guys
IT/software etc - mainly guys

At my comm welcome yesterday they said there were 530 hecs places and 300 int'l students, and that there were more girls and than guys. Have yet to judge for law - but I've met more girls doing law than guys....I hope that the conclusions that can be drawn from that are inaccurate due to my small sample size ... :p ;)

B

Bambul

I did a GenEd called History of Football during the Summer Break. There were 19 people in my tutorial, of which there were 3 girls and 16 guys. Most of my other classes are usually 50/50 with some variation higher or lower.

SoFTuaRiaL

i got this advice from someone within the faculty of engg at unsw who told me not to do software engg cos its girly !! he/she advised me to go for comp engg as it was boyey !!
i dunno why ppl have that feeling cos for the past few yrs there have been ATLEAST 70% guys in s/w ........

sif not 99

i was talking to this chic on the train who goes to cumberland campus of sydney uni (where all the health sciences are) and she reckons that there are at least 6 times more chics than guys on the whole campus lol

timmii

sporadic attendee
waaaaay too many girls in law :(
And only a few hot guys :( But everyone i've met so far has been really nice so thats ok :D

A friend of mine and I are planning to stake out the engineering faculties in mini skirts and hope to meet some unattached engineering guys :D Or join the engineering society and hope no1 notices we're not doing anything remotely related to eng.... :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
waaaaay too many girls in law :(
And only a few hot guys :( But everyone i've met so far has been really nice so thats ok :D

A friend of mine and I are planning to stake out the engineering faculties in mini skirts and hope to meet some unattached engineering guys :D Or join the engineering society and hope no1 notices we're not doing anything remotely related to eng.... :p
Since when did the engineers get so popular, I thought they were generally regarded as the uni's social underclass?? :D

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I'm doing animal sci, and there are about 4 guys out of the 27 of us in the course. In the whole agricultural facility, there were more girls than guys, but it wasnt that unbalanced.

Hee Hee, my friend is doing nursing. I wonder how many guys do that?

PS - Ezmay, where were u today?

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
for Psych at UNSW, there's a pretty even mix of guys and girls ... but it's hard to estimate with such a big class. have to wait for tuts and see.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by kini mini

Since when did the engineers get so popular, I thought they were generally regarded as the uni's social underclass?? :D
Well they're the interfaculty sports champions (usually), they throw the biggest and best parties, and have a fabulous ratio of guys to girls to supplement the rather abysmal proportions i've been noticing in my courses :D Personality wise...I've only met 3 so far and they were all fairly sociable and sweet (despite the stereotype) :D

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii

Well they're the interfaculty sports champions (usually), they throw the biggest and best parties, and have a fabulous ratio of guys to girls to supplement the rather abysmal proportions i've been noticing in my courses :D Personality wise...I've only met 3 so far and they were all fairly sociable and sweet (despite the stereotype) :D
I've met a hell of a lot of engineers, starting with my dad, and his colleagues at UNSW and elsewhere, plus friends from school etc and they all seemed pretty friendly people :). But it's rare that others recognise their wonderful personalities :p

Originally posted by Bon In general, your real engineers are like that - will know anything about the subject you ask them! :D
I can vouch from this from experience :p

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by sif not 99
i was talking to this chic on the train who goes to cumberland campus of sydney uni (where all the health sciences are) and she reckons that there are at least 6 times more chics than guys on the whole campus lol
Yeah, thats where i go! I didn't realise how many girls there were at first (I went to an all girls high school, so I'm used to seeing a lot of females around;) ), but then I was reading the UNIs newsletter and read the statistics for last year-2682 female full time students, and only 762 male students.
I really don't get it!:confused:

bex

HSC
My Uni apparently has more girls than guys but in my dorm, and in my course(commercial radio) there are about even numbers. However in one of my tuts(professional writing), there are only 3 guys and 15 girls..

PR is a girlie course as are nursing and education. Alot of the guys at my uni are doing policing, paramedics, advertising, sports journalism or human movement.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by kini mini

HEY, we ppl no underclass !! we're right up there :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)