questions/discussions (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Anybody actually read the strange by line to the "tertiary study" forum?

Please only post questions here! For discussions, visit - www.uniboardz.cjb.net

Where does one even start drawing the line...i mean one need only spent 20secs in any of these threads to note that a "thread" does not necessarily translate into a single "thread of conversation/thought"...

Anybody feel cool enough yet to graduate to uniboardz? :p
Moi? I'm trying to think if its acceptable to call my self year 13, or year 12 a or if i must give the spiel of first year uni-student....maybe we can re-introduce "freshman".

Oh - on that note anyone else kinda sick of the "meeting new ppl conversation"?

Post some interesting questions to ask besides "name, course, former school, where do u live, subjects and hows ur timetable...?"

hehe...u think that qualifies for asking q's and not just discussion??? :p :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by timmii
Anybody feel cool enough yet to graduate to uniboardz? :p
Moi? I'm trying to think if its acceptable to call my self year 13, or year 12 a or if i must give the spiel of first year uni-student....maybe we can re-introduce "freshman".
neh ... compared to the bos forum, not much really happens in the uniboardz ... and i seem to have trouble becoming a member from my home computer ... and ive been here (at the bos forum) for so long that its hard to move on! :)

Post some interesting questions to ask besides "name, course, former school, where do u live, subjects and hows ur timetable...?"
im starting to get sick of that ... but usually the conversation dies immediately after those questions or we talk about other things ...

atm i cant really think of anything ... but i would be interested in seeing what other people thing :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have a feeling the class of '02 is going to hang around on the this forum, since we are now too attached to it ...

kini mini

HSC
Anybody actually read the strange by line to the "tertiary study" forum?

Please only post questions here! For discussions, visit - www.uniboardz.cjb.net

Where does one even start drawing the line...i mean one need only spent 20secs in any of these threads to note that a "thread" does not necessarily translate into a single "thread of conversation/thought"...
I noticed that a while ago, but kept quiet because I don't really like the uniboardz :p

Oh - on that note anyone else kinda sick of the "meeting new ppl conversation"?

My boring additions to that are "do you play any sport?" and "which clubs have you joined?" :p. But yes, I'm bored of the usual conversations too.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by kini mini
My boring additions to that are "do you play any sport?" and "which clubs have you joined?" :p. But yes, I'm bored of the usual conversations too.
I've been asking them too...not sure if they're still askable post-oweek tho...Did manage to elicit a lovely conversation bout Citizen Cane with someone tho, so it can work...occasionally...

For the usyd law students, grumbling bout the litigant assignment has been a rather effective bonding experience :p

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Another good question to ask is "So...was this course you're first preference?";)

I agree...it does get boring, but at least you have some sorta starting point to begin a conversation! It's better than going up to a complete stranger and not knowing what to say at all...you have converstaion starters to fall back on, even if they are predictable.

People are starting to make a joke of it now...they walk up to you and just fire off a bunch of questions at you in one shot, as though to save time.:p

Today I was talking to someone in my class (thats right...we had managed to progress past the "where are you from?" phase.;) ) about how in high school they would make you play "getting to know you" games whenever you were meeting lots of new people, like at the start of year 7 and stuff. At the tim,e everyone thinks it's lame, but I wish we would do that at UNI! :p

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
Another good question to ask is "So...was this course you're first preference?";)

I agree...it does get boring, but at least you have some sorta starting point to begin a conversation! It's better than going up to a complete stranger and not knowing what to say at all...you have converstaion starters to fall back on, even if they are predictable.

People are starting to make a joke of it now...they walk up to you and just fire off a bunch of questions at you in one shot, as though to save time.:p

Today I was talking to someone in my class (thats right...we had managed to progress past the "where are you from?" phase.;) ) about how in high school they would make you play "getting to know you" games whenever you were meeting lots of new people, like at the start of year 7 and stuff. At the tim,e everyone thinks it's lame, but I wish we would do that at UNI! :p
First preference doesn't work for me so well...but "soooo, are you fee paying?" or "did you get 100?" or "which subject did you top?" has served me well thus far ;) :p

Well outside one of the welcomes yesterday there were a whole group of ppl standing, and everyone was trying to figure out everyone's name...I was like "say your name and an adjective" - ppl laughed but omg it would have been helpful! :p

I met about 7 ppl named james, 4 nicks and 3 daves...if i see someone whose name i can't remember, i've at least sorted out a system to hedge my bets! :p

kini mini

HSC

I met about 7 ppl named james, 4 nicks and 3 daves...if i see someone whose name i can't remember, i've at least sorted out a system to hedge my bets! :p
In HS I had a French class with 4 Jameses :p

What is it with the Jameses...it might have been a king's name, but they were rather unspectacular kings ;)

timmii

sporadic attendee

In HS I had a French class with 4 Jameses :p

What is it with the Jameses...it might have been a king's name, but they were rather unspectacular kings ;)
It is very much a "private school" name...I would classify andrew and mark as that as well.

I really like the name james tho, much lovelier than "jimmy". :D

kini mini

HSC

It is very much a "private school" name...I would classify andrew and mark as that as well.

I really like the name james tho, much lovelier than "jimmy". :D
I don't know about Mark, at my "very public" primary school there were lots of Marks :D.

What's wrong with Jimmy (speaking as someone who knows one well) ? ;) Not refined enough? ;)

What's your position on Bill, Bob, Dick...?

timmii

sporadic attendee

I don't know about Mark, at my "very public" primary school there were lots of Marks :D.

What's wrong with Jimmy (speaking as someone who knows one well) ? ;) Not refined enough? ;)

What's your position on Bill, Bob, Dick...?
hmmm mark is a maybe, coz i just realised that half the marks were public, half were private...how confusing :rolleyes:

I like the name William and Will, but not so much Bill. I like ppl named Jimmy, i'm just not a fan of the name...I like the name Robert and rob, but not Bob. Don't particularly like richard but I like richie, and certainly not "dick" :p

I generally like "j" names on guys... besides james there is : Jeremy, jordan, joshua (josh) and jonothon/jono (but not john, tho jon is marginally acceptable...i dunno why :confused: ) Anthony, andrew, and adam are also nice :p This is by no means a reflection on the ppl...it just names i like! :)

What about you? fave guy/girls names? not so favourite guys/girls names?

Soul

New Title...
hmm, Uniboardz?

Is anyone else out there thinking of moving to Uniboardz - hmm, not sure if i change that everyone will as well - then i'll have to browse 2 forums! and i'm spending too much time on this already,

Names? the worst thing is meeting 5 people within 1hour all with same 'common' names!!! its too hard to remember them all and then when you see them it is like:

'Hey!...um... *fuck* ...you

timmii

sporadic attendee
I'm usually terrible at names...so far i've been doing ok when i've been introduced to ppl 1 at a time...but when its en masse or even 2 at a time, i cant remember which name belongs to who!

And then i assume ppl don't remember my name, so i reintroduce myself...and they're like "uh yeahhhh, we met" :eek:

I vote we re-introduce olympic-style tags around the neck giving everyone's names...:D

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
hmm... i see we're getting into a discussion here :p

i don't go on uniboardz coz the look of it is a little ... dare i say, ugly. and u only see like 1 post a month. :/ i'm sticking to BoS :p

and with fav names, i like ones that are different ... original (ie. made up) and unique or even not very popular like: Jordy/Jordi, Jalen, Brody/Brodi ... etc

but i also like Chloe ... and to be outrageous, "Cookie" lol :p that probably suits a pet more tho :) oh and Joshua is a nice common name. J's are nice :p :D

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by FunkyFlava

and with fav names, i like ones that are different ... original (ie. made up) and unique or even not very popular like: Jordy/Jordi, Jalen, Brody/Brodi ... etc
my parents "made my name up" and it has caused me nothing but hassles...so I like names that have 'lyrical' sound to them and are rather original but not too strange. Brodie is nice, as is jalen. I like the name jade for girls as well. Inter alia, i like "L" names for girls too - laura, liara, lana, lara etc

:D

Sorry for starting a discussion... :eek: :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Re: hmm, Uniboardz?

Originally posted by Soul
'Hey!...um... *fuck* ...you
hahaha... Mulva. :D

Btw there's a girl doing law at UNSW named Zsofi (pronounced "Joffy"). Causes everyone problems. :p

kini mini

HSC

What about you? fave guy/girls names? not so favourite guys/girls names?
I don't have any favourites, but there are some I can't stand :p. No offence to all the Waynes out there, but the sound of it...eucchhh. Charleses tent to be Asian guys who do not realise that the name evokes a sense of Edwadian upper-class twits. Maybe it's just me :p.

Matilda is the funniest one, about 15 years ago it seems to have been very popular with certain groups of parents, their daughters all prefer to be known as Tilly :p.

my parents "made my name up" and it has caused me nothing but hassles...so I like names that have 'lyrical' sound to them and are rather original but not too strange.
My parent picked my name because it transliterated easily :p. Of course, they didn't have too many choices for various traditional reasons.

Soul
Names? the worst thing is meeting 5 people within 1hour all with same 'common' names!!!
This morning I went to the UNSW fencing club and was introduced or introduced myself to everybody. But apart from the club president, who I knew already, I've retained 5 of 15 names :p. And I'm still not sure which one is Mike and which one is Tom!
Laz
Btw there's a girl doing law at UNSW named Zsofi (pronounced "Joffy"). Causes everyone problems.:p
I haven't met anyone with a confusing name yet, luckily :D.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I've always though "charles" is the most irritatingly pretentious name...but besides charles firth, i haven't met any irl to either confirm or deny this assumption. :p

Half the reason i got my name is coz my mum was so prejudiced against normal names because as a former lecturer she had met many awful students that ruined for her other, ostensibly nice names. :rolleyes:

kini mini

HSC
I've always though "charles" is the most irritatingly pretentious name...but besides charles firth, i haven't met any irl to either confirm or deny this assumption. :p
Charles is a funny guy, he came to school last year to talk to us about the Chaser. Actually, he only came because a friend of his who used to work on Honi Soit was back from Cambridge to lecture on chemistry :p. Got lots of free Chasers LOL!

Half the reason i got my name is coz my mum was so prejudiced against normal names because as a former lecturer she had met many awful students that ruined for her other, ostensibly nice names. :rolleyes:
ROFL! That's one good argument in favour of getting the grandparents to do it :p. What was the other half if you don't mind me asking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)