"Assumed knowledge" for Psychology (1 Viewer)

"CLEVER NAME"

HSC
I'm going to TAFE next year to do my HSC (plus the prelim unfortunately), my intention is to go on to do a psychology major in uni.

What I dont understand is how much mathematics fits into it. When i look up the Bachelor of Psychology course at Usyd it says they strongly recommended having done 2 unit maths in the HSC, but then when I look at the Bachlor of Education (Secondary ) / Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) theres no mention of it.

Does this mean that if you do Psychology through the Science faculty there is more maths involved, wheres if its through Arts theres less?. I hope so...

If I had any capacity for maths, I would just do 2 unit for my HSC and be done with it, but I absolutely cannot stand it. I can do all the maths related things that matter in life, such as arithmetic and understanding charts, but stuff like algerbra and trigger geometry or whatever goes totally over my head.

These are the two degrees I was talking about:

Bachelor of Psychology (Science)

http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugcou...proved=YEs&a_FacultyID=11&-recid=32773&-find=

BACHELOR OF EDUCATION (SECONDARY) AND BACHELOR OF ARTS (PSYCHOLOGY)

http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugcou...BApproved=YEs&a_FacultyID=21&-recid=79&-find=

This seems like a pretty good one since it gives me two career paths which im interested in.

Anyone know more about this than me?, Thanks :)

Ashleet

HSC
in psychology there are alot of research statistics and methods which you have to study. In an outright psychology degree generally from what ive seen, you have to satisfy a higher level of stats to qualify for the degree than you do to qualify for it in a double degree.

I do arts (psyc) and the case is to do arts with psyc as a majojr you have to satisfy only one 6 cp of stat where in a psyc degree you have to satisfy 36 cp. Basically you cover a higher level of stat in an outright psyc degree which is why it is recommended

plus in an arts degree, the uni isnt assuming that everyone is going to be doing psyc under the arts faculty, which is why there isnt the recomendation, but you are definatly better off doing the maths reccomended

Last edited:

"CLEVER NAME"

HSC
Ashleet said:
in psychology there are alot of research statistics and methods which you have to study. In an outright psychology degree generally from what ive seen, you have to satisfy a higher level of stats to qualify for the degree than you do to qualify for it in a double degree.

I do arts (psyc) and the case is to do arts with psyc as a majojr you have to satisfy only one 6 cp of stat where in a psyc degree you have to satisfy 36 cp. Basically you cover a higher level of stat in an outright psyc degree which is why it is recommended

plus in an arts degree, the uni isnt assuming that everyone is going to be doing psyc under the arts faculty, which is why there isnt the recomendation, but you are definatly better off doing the maths reccomended
I dont quite understand what you mean by "stats" , does that mean the pure psychology degree has more mathematical statistics in it?.

I guess I could do a bridging course in maths after I finish my HSC.

Thanks for your help :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hey i do an arts-psychology degree and if i wanted to get into honours ... it's equivalent to a b psychology (4 years)

in essence i do all the subjects a b psychology student would do....

i did not do 2 unit maths in the HSC... i did general maths and let me tell you.... if your smart enough to get into uni... your smart enough to do Psychology statistics... to me with stats i found it hard but once u do the work... its piss easy

"CLEVER NAME"

HSC
clairegirl said:
hey i do an arts-psychology degree and if i wanted to get into honours ... it's equivalent to a b psychology (4 years)

in essence i do all the subjects a b psychology student would do....

i did not do 2 unit maths in the HSC... i did general maths and let me tell you.... if your smart enough to get into uni... your smart enough to do Psychology statistics... to me with stats i found it hard but once u do the work... its piss easy
I hate maths with a passion, so thats music to my ears :)

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)