"Good news as uni seekers wait it out" (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
Good news as uni seekers wait it out
By Amy Lawson
January 16, 2005
The Sun-Herald

University admission scores are expected to remain steady or even drop in some courses this year, bucking the trend of skyrocketing cut-off marks in recent years, thanks to more places and lower demand.

The news will be welcomed by the 75,544 university hopefuls who will discover on Wednesday night if they have a main-round offer.

University applications have dropped by 3.5 per cent overall in NSW and the ACT this year, with year 12 applications falling by 1 per cent and mature-age applications 6.5 per cent. At the same time, the three-year roll-out of more than 9000 new federally funded places in NSW and ACT universities begins this year.

While universities are still calculating cut-off marks for main-round offers, early indications are that they will remain in check this year.

A spokeswoman for the Universities Admissions Centre said that in the past few years "an increase in demand and a decrease in supply has seen cut-offs for many courses rise".

Some universities may have extra places in some courses [this year] as a result of their Federal Government allocation, in which case you could expect those cut-offs to remain stable or even fall slightly," she said.

Despite an increase in first-preference applications at Macquarie University, an extra 350 federally funded places are expected to keep cut-offs in line with last year.

John Loxton, deputy vice-chancellor (academic) at Macquarie University, said the extra places would be allocated to teacher education, science and technology and health studies, meaning cut-offs in those areas might fall.

"This will be the first time there's been any drop in the past three or four years," he said. "Cut-offs have climbed steadily and probably got too high in some of those areas. It looks as though the unmet demand across the country will be significantly lower this year, on the face of it, and that's a good thing because we want places to be available for everyone who's qualified to make a go of it."

At the University of Technology, Sydney, which also experienced a slight increase in first-preference applications this year, marketing manager Janine Kuster said cut-offs were expected to remain steady or increase slightly in some courses.

The University of Western Sydney will make a record number of offers this year, including 11,000 in the main round.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
sounds good. but sounds way too general for me to be confident about cut offs. the course im hoping for is one which is always popular and you can never tell.

guess we'll wait and see in a few nights

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
ANU has seen a rise in entrance scores, with the minimum cut-off of 85 to get into most courses.

S

Shuter

Damnit UTS, stop going up! you went DOWN last year and I want to see that trend continue.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
why did i just read an article that would give me hope but instead broke my dreams, by telling me UTS course places will prob go up.

leathaface

Let's all pray UNSW courses such as psychology and commerce drop like a ************* pouring rain that Sydney and Australia needs...

Last edited by a moderator:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
have i interpreted this corrrectly, those extra places at maq will go to the NON commerce sectors? that means that theres nothing really stopping all the commerce courses from goin up

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i aint holding my breath at all about this. its so general. its gonna vary from course to course

S

Shuter

Hey wait up, I just thought, this is still good, even though applications to UTS have gone up, this doesn't mean they are FIRST PREFERANCE applications.

Thereby this means many people would put down commerce at UNSW, U Syd before UTS, so as applications/cut-offs are likely falling for these courses this means more people will get into these meaning there will be less people wanting/needing to go to UTS. Oh I hope this works out! Come on, I just need a 0.15 fall to get 2nd preferance or a less than 0.6 rise to get third pref.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
At the University of Technology, Sydney, which also experienced a slight increase in first-preference applications this year,
first preferences increased

yey for the increase in first preferences at mac!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah the article seems a bit too general. You can't be satisfied if you're going for Commerce/Business since the article makes no mention of it.

leathaface

Minai said:
Yeah the article seems a bit too general. You can't be satisfied if you're going for Commerce/Business since the article makes no mention of it.

Don't believe everything that the media tell ya though, maybe they left out that information.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Shuter said:
Hey wait up, I just thought, this is still good, even though applications to UTS have gone up, this doesn't mean they are FIRST PREFERANCE applications.

Thereby this means many people would put down commerce at UNSW, U Syd before UTS, so as applications/cut-offs are likely falling for these courses this means more people will get into these meaning there will be less people wanting/needing to go to UTS. Oh I hope this works out! Come on, I just need a 0.15 fall to get 2nd preferance or a less than 0.6 rise to get third pref.

yeah but it was probably like this last year and the year before. the only thing that would have changed is more applications= cutoffs going up in those courses

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
have i interpreted this corrrectly, those extra places at maq will go to the NON commerce sectors? that means that theres nothing really stopping all the commerce courses from goin up
noooooooooooo!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
slinky wat was ur uai and wot course do u wwant to do at maq...im sure it wont rise too much if not at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)